TV Alert: Pine On Tonight Show
By: T'Bonz on Dec 22

Retro Review: The Emperor’s New Cloak
By: Michelle on Dec 20

Star Trek Opera
By: T'Bonz on Dec 19

New Abrams Project
By: T'Bonz on Dec 18

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old March 20 2014, 09:45 AM   #136
RJDonner&Blitzen
Idealistic Cynic and Canon Champion

Re: Lost Girl season 4

This reminded me of that stupid Mel Gibson alien invasion movie. All it takes to destroy a Mermaid is fresh water? And they want to live on land? What if it rains?

The Wanderer storyline is increasingly surreal. Now he convinced Bo to kill the Una Mens and that's released some weird power that everybody will want. Is she being mind controlled or is she just being stupid? I can't tell.
Old March 21 2014, 03:48 PM   #137
Greg Cox
Vice Admiral

I don't think we're supposed to assume mind control. The whole point of those flashbacks seemed to be that Bo genuinely fell in love with Rainer during her first stint on the train. I suspect they were going for a "Beauty and the Beast" scenario where Bo falls for the surly, brooding stranger who turns out to have a tragic story . . ..

Whether it actually worked is another story.
Old March 22 2014, 09:28 AM   #138
RJDonner&Blitzen

Yeah, I generally love Lost Girl, but it's not working for me.
Old March 22 2014, 02:56 PM   #139
JanewayRulz!
Vice Admiral

^^ Well, given the fact that we don't really have Bo WITH our main characters most of the time... that may have something to do with it.

I'm willing to hold on, mostly because I've been spoiled for the season's ending and have hopes for season 5.
Old March 22 2014, 11:12 PM   #140
The Borgified Corpse
Admiral

Location: Ouch! Forgotten already? You were just down there 20 minutes ago.

I'm so on the fence about this season so far. Many of my favorite moments of the series have been in this season:
- "You lie to the Russian stink eye and bad things will happen to your junk!"
- Everything with Lauren & the Morrigan.
- Bo having sex with Flora/Lauren while in Dyson's body.
- Tamsin's dance off in "Let the Dark Times Roll."
- Lauren being an absolute badass when the Dark Fae captured her & Crystal in "Turn to Stone."
- Nearly everything about "In Memorium" (except for George Takei's performance).

But there have also been a bunch of problems this year:

I've felt like a lot of the individual episodes haven't held up very well plot-wise; even by Lost Girl's standards, which often weren't that high to begin with. The larger story-arc with the Wanderer has been largely lacking in major developments in the first half of the season, totally squandering the awesome cliffhanger development from the end of Season 3. And even the stand-alones don't feel as significant as they used to. It feels more like every is just kinda wandering around while random stuff happens. I preferred the more structured approach in the earlier seasons revolving around Bo & Kenzi's paranormal P.I. firm or Bo helping Dyson with some Fae cop case he was working on. We haven't gotten much of either this year.

A lot of the rules about Light & Dark seem to have been totally ignored. Bo & Dyson totally got busted for crossing party lines during their recent hook up. That fits with a lot of what was established way back in Season 1. But after the end of "La Fae Epoque," everyone just seems to forget about it. And then, in "Groundhog Fae," some prominent Light Fae like Dyson, Trick, & Hale are having a Yule party at Bo's house, which would presumably be Dark Fae territory now. Or are we supposed to assume that Yule is a holiday like La Shoshain where the normal rules of Dark & Light don't apply? (But then, why is Tamsin forbidden from entering Bo's house while the Light Fae are in there?)

Also, why has the Morrigan suddenly lost all interest in exterminating claimed humans? I suppose that could have been just a baldfaced ploy to embarass Hale but that hasn't been made very clear. Nor would it make much sense why the Morrigan would have such a vested interest in removing Hale from his position as Ash. (With his somewhat naive lets-all-get-along agenda, he would have been much easier for the Morrigan to exploit & manipulate than Lachlan or Trick or just about any other potential Ash you might think of.)

I also feel like the romantic storylines have hit a dead end. Kenzi & Hale got together about a year & a half too late for me to care any more. (And it doesn't help that we keep getting episodes like "In Memorium" & "La Fae Epoque" that totally highlight the much juicier prospects of Kenzi/Dyson.) Dyson & Bo are now kinda back together with hardly any fanfare, which doesn't feel right. Bo & Lauren aren't together right now but the show can't really come up with any convincing reasons why they aren't. Bo/Tamsin is hardly going anywhere. And, as Vex so wisely pointed out, Dyson & Lauren don't hate each other anymore, so we don't even have that conflict.
Old March 23 2014, 04:59 AM   #141
Christopher
Writer

The Borgified Corpse wrote: View Post
A lot of the rules about Light & Dark seem to have been totally ignored. Bo & Dyson totally got busted for crossing party lines during their recent hook up. That fits with a lot of what was established way back in Season 1. But after the end of "La Fae Epoque," everyone just seems to forget about it.
Actually they didn't get busted for that. Bo initially believed the Una Mens were there to punish them for "crossing party lines," but in fact they were there to arrest Dyson for Flora's murder, leading into "Epoque."

Dyson & Bo are now kinda back together with hardly any fanfare, which doesn't feel right. Bo & Lauren aren't together right now but the show can't really come up with any convincing reasons why they aren't.
Bo and Lauren are back together; we just aren't seeing it much. Technically Bo and Lauren are a couple, but it's not an exclusive couple due to Bo's succubus nature, and thus she's started fooling around with Dyson fairly regularly again. And the writers' focus seems to be more on exploring how the relationship between Lauren and Dyson is evolving from rivalry to grudging respect to friendship.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is online now   Reply With Quote
Old March 25 2014, 04:15 AM   #142
Admiral2
Vice Admiral

Whoa!

That episode was deeeeep!

Hale...

-Elsa on what she learned from Anna
Admiral2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 25 2014, 11:34 PM   #143
JanewayRulz!
Vice Admiral

Unfortunately, the hotel I'm in doesn't carry syfy, and I am so Unimpressed with the "dish anywhere" option to my TV carrier so I haven't seen it yet.

The scene to which you are referring, however, was something I watched on youtube last week and so I will join your keen,,,,

Hale!!!!!!!!!!!!

To which I will add...

Kenzi!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old March 26 2014, 09:35 AM   #144
RJDonner&Blitzen

Oh, come on!

I really hope this is not permanent. Hale was really cool, and I've been waiting four years for him and Kenzie to get together. There better be a way out of this.

Now I can't even remember what the rest of the episode was about.
Old March 27 2014, 02:06 AM   #145
JD
Admiral

Wow, best episode of the season yet. I can't help but wonder if they'll eventually reveal that Acacia is actually Tamsin's mother. I really enjoyed getting such a big focus on Kenzi outside of all of the Fae stuff. I was also glad to see them actually addressing the WTFery of Bo's relationship with Rainer.
Wow, that ending was beyond shocking. I can't believe they killed Hale! Poor Kenzi.
Have they dealt with exactly what Kenzi's mother's boyfriend did to her?
Old March 27 2014, 02:19 AM   #146
Christopher
Writer

JD wrote: View Post
Have they dealt with exactly what Kenzi's mother's boyfriend did to her?
They didn't specify, and this seems to be entirely new backstory, but implicitly he abused her in some way.

Old March 27 2014, 03:40 AM   #147
The Borgified Corpse
Admiral

Location: Ouch! Forgotten already? You were just down there 20 minutes ago.

Christopher wrote: View Post
Dyson & Bo are now kinda back together with hardly any fanfare, which doesn't feel right. Bo & Lauren aren't together right now but the show can't really come up with any convincing reasons why they aren't.
Bo and Lauren are back together; we just aren't seeing it much. Technically Bo and Lauren are a couple, but it's not an exclusive couple due to Bo's succubus nature, and thus she's started fooling around with Dyson fairly regularly again.
Well, if that happened, it seems like they really haven't made it official. As far as I knew, they never totally un-broke-up after their break-up in "Delinquents." While they seemed close to hooking up again in "Let the Dark Times Roll," it seemed that they never quite made it all the way. And it seemed like Bo was a bit offput by Lauren's (relative) enthusiasm for being Dark. Meanwhile, despite their obvious affection for each other, Lauren seems to want to keep Bo at arm's length. I would point out that they never really resolved the issues that made them break-up in "Delinquents" in the first place.

I don't recall a single instance of even implied sex between Bo & Lauren this season. We've had tons of Bo/Dyson hook-ups and even a few Bo/Tamsin make-out sessions in "Groundhog Fae." But "Let the Dark Times Roll" was the only time that Bo & Lauren have gotten at all physical this season (Bo's Dyson/Flora mind-tryst in "La Fae Epoque" notwithstanding).

I wish they would spend less time developing the Detente between Lauren & Dyson and more time developing the relationship between Lauren & the Morrigan.
Old April 1 2014, 01:28 PM   #148
JanewayRulz!
Vice Admiral

Christopher wrote: View Post
Bo and Lauren are back together; we just aren't seeing it much. Technically Bo and Lauren are a couple, but it's not an exclusive couple due to Bo's succubus nature, and thus she's started fooling around with Dyson fairly regularly again.

I wish they would spend less time developing the Detente between Lauren & Dyson and more time developing the relationship between Lauren & the Morrigan.
Well, if Bo and Lauren are still a "couple', then somebody better tell Bo that pretty soon!

The ultimate insult from the lesbian doctor, "So that's it, you chose HIM!"

And that cutting rejoinder from the multi-partnered Succubus.

"You broke my heart!"

I know I missed an ep here and there, but I never really understood why Bo fell so hard for Raynor, nor did I understand why she was so standoffish with Lauren after nearly jumping her bones at the Morrigan's big party and after Lauren worked with her on the case of the missing Vex and with Dyson on the case of the missing Bo.

Still its sad to see Lauren and Dyson in a better place by the penultimate ep than Bo & Lauren.

As for that OTHER couple, Lauren & the Morrigan, TBC shouldn't hold out much hope.

If Lauren turned Morrigan "human" to protect Bo after overhearing that conversation in the archives, why did she already have the serum made up? That suggests she was always planning to turn Morrigan human, but who cares? Another equally unpleasant Dark Fae would simply take her place. And when the Morrigan turns human, does that mean Lauren is now unclaimed, or does she become the property of the next Morrigan? (like how she was passed down to the next "Ash).

I know, don't think, just "enjoy the ride", but there isn't much to enjoy when there's "no" Bo and Lauren, not much Bo & Dyson or Bo & Tamsin and certainly NO Bo & Kenzi!
Old April 1 2014, 02:59 PM   #149
Christopher
Writer

I guess I was wrong about Bo and Lauren still being together. If they did break up, I totally missed it. But then, the writing this whole season doesn't seem to be very cohesive. Like, why is Trick suddenly acting like a bad guy?

Old April 1 2014, 05:16 PM   #150
Admiral2
Vice Admiral

I totally did not get that last episode. Normally i don't care, because at least I have a doccubus scene to fall back on. But Morrigan and Lauren? And Lauren made the Morrigan human? Cause why? And the crazy knight girl? And Kenzie? What the hell did i actually see last night?

-Elsa on what she learned from Anna
Admiral2 is offline   Reply With Quote