MicroWarriors Releases Next Week
By: T'Bonz on Jul 25

Ships Of The Line Design Contest

Next Weekend: Shore Leave 36!

True Trek History To Be Penned

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > Deep Space Nine

Deep Space Nine What We Left Behind, we will always have here.

Old March 30 2014, 10:04 PM   #181
Harvey
Admiral

Re: DS9 on blu ray?

DS9forever wrote: View Post
^ It was only included as a special feature so I don't think they spent much on it.
True, but if all you're doing is upscaling the SD masters, throwing a lot of money at the project isn't going to make much of a difference.

My blog: Star Trek Fact Check.
Harvey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 30 2014, 10:29 PM   #182
Robert Comsol
Commodore

Dukhat wrote: View Post
That wasn't why it was closed. You have no one to blame about its closing but yourself. And this has nothing to do with the topic of DS9 on Blu Ray.
No official explanation was ever given regarding its closure. And since the question of adding "IMHOs" has popped up in this thread, I merely provided an example that it could be necessary.

Bob
Robert Comsol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 30 2014, 10:37 PM   #183
Dukhat
Commodore

I wasn't kidding Bob. I've alerted the DS9 mod. You can either edit your post to remove the link to my post, or the mod will do it. As I said, if you have something to say to me, PM me.
Old March 30 2014, 10:59 PM   #184
MacLeod
Admiral

Well hopefully by the end of the summer early Autumn at the latest they'll hav an announcement.
On the continent of wild endeavour in the mountains of solace and solitude there stood the citadel of the time lords, the oldest and most mighty race in the universe looking down on the galaxies below sworn never to interfere only to watch.
MacLeod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 31 2014, 01:44 AM   #185
Shatna
Grand Lord Admiral

This thread isn't about why other threads were closed. So let's drop it and get back to the discussion, okay? (And for the record, I personally have no idea why that thread was closed, I have been absent of late, which I am rectifying as of this post.)
Old March 31 2014, 03:17 PM   #186
NewHorizon
Captain

If CBS does give us DS9 on blu, I hope they do it exactly the way the did with TNG. Using all the original resources when possible and simply giving them that little extra punch that they've managed to give all the reconstructed fx in TNG. The work on that show looks stunning with the recomposited work, especially when it is done properly by CBS and not the likes of HTV-Illuminate...although Modern Video did a decent enough job that I didn't skip the set like I did with Season 2.

Yup, if CBS does DS9 the same...consider my money in their pocket.
NewHorizon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 31 2014, 08:23 PM   #187
timtonruben359
Lieutenant

MacLeod wrote: View Post
The earlier seasons of DSN would be slightly easier to do re-master as like TNG weren't they mainly shot on film with little use of CGI (true there some like Odo's morph) as for later seasons, from articles on places like Trekcore it seemes as if at least some of the CGI models were over-engineered for the needs of SD. So minimal work might be need on some of CGI models..
That's correct. In fact my understanding based on what I've read in the DS9 Companion is that CGI wasn't even used extensively until late in the 5th season of the show. Even the big Klingon battle in Way of the Warrior was all motion control model work.

My gut tells me DS9 will get blu ray treatment my guess is we'll know more as we get closer to the release of TNG's final season which will be before Christmas this year.
timtonruben359 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 31 2014, 09:58 PM   #188
Robert Comsol
Commodore

Strange, I could have sworn I saw an X-Files screencap posted in this thread a couple of days ago.

Anyway, here is a link that illustrates the issue. In another it's said that X-Files had been "protected" for widescreen, yet the screencap comparison in the first link clearly shows that the X-Files HD extraction was apparently possible by utilizing extra areas on the left from the (4:3?) camera negative outside the "safe action" area (i.e. almost looks to me that X-Files was just 4:3, too).

It looks as if Fox is going for X-Files (originally broadcasted in 4:3) in widescreen, so how could this affect decisions by CBS Home Entertainment regarding the aspect ratio for DS9 on Blu-ray?

(IIRC, X-Files, DS9 and B5 were competing in the 1990's)

Bob
Old March 31 2014, 10:25 PM   #189
Salinga
Captain

The aspect ratio will be 4:3 for the shows until VOY, because of the same reasons TNG is in 4:3. The only question will be, if the special effect shots will be upscaled from 480i to 1080p like the X-Files transfer does, just because it will be a lot cheaper and quicker.
Salinga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 31 2014, 10:50 PM   #190
Hober Mallow
Commodore

Location: The planet Terminus, site of the Encyclopedia Foundation on the periphery of the galaxy

Salinga wrote: View Post
The aspect ratio will be 4:3 for the shows until VOY, because of the same reasons TNG is in 4:3. The only question will be, if the special effect shots will be upscaled from 480i to 1080p like the X-Files transfer does, just because it will be a lot cheaper and quicker.
One drawback: it looks like shit.
Old April 1 2014, 01:15 AM   #191
Savage Dragon
TheSeeker

I would be very surprised if that happened. I think that if they decide to pull the trigger on remastering the rest of Trek then they will do it right.
Savage Dragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 1 2014, 05:00 AM   #192
Cap.T
Lieutenant Commander

The aspect ratio will be 4:3 for the shows until VOY, because of the same reasons TNG is in 4:3.
I asked Rick Berman on Twitter recently, whether either DS9 or Voyager were ever protected for 16:9. This is what he answered:

DS9 and Voyager were framed with 16/9 in mind...somewhere down the road. Enterprise was shot mostly digital with 16/9 a sure bet.
Cap.T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 1 2014, 07:30 AM   #193
LOKAI of CHERON
Commodore

Location: Post-apocalyptic ruins of my once mighty Homeworld.

Cap.T wrote: View Post
The aspect ratio will be 4:3 for the shows until VOY, because of the same reasons TNG is in 4:3.
I asked Rick Berman... Enterprise was shot mostly digital...
Well, if his definition of mostly is a 1/4, that's true. Only S4 was shot on digital.
Old April 1 2014, 09:08 AM   #194
Robert Comsol
Commodore

You sound confident, but can you be sure? Back in 2011 there was a special behind closed doors presentation at CBS Home Entertainment with a TNG episode (my bet: "Sins of the Father") presented in both 1.33:1 and 1.78:1.

And this is what one of the eyewitnesses reported: https://twitter.com/BurnettRM/status/115704626669551616

Eventually, the decision was made on behalf of 4:3.

In the case of DS9, as Rick Berman correctly remembered, the series was shot with a 16:9 image extraction in mind in the later seasons (not too dissimilar from the Super35 camera process).

Maybe I lack imagination, but I'd find it hard to believe that DS9 on Blu-ray will have a 4:3 aspect ratio in the first seasons and then switch to 16:9 in the last three or two.

I think a decision will be made for the entirety of the Blu-ray release and should X-Files be presented in 16:9 on Blu-ray, CBS Home Entertainment may probably be compelled to consider that format as an option for DS9, too.

What I'm trying to recommend here is that each and everyone of us should think hard an twice before bashing CBS in case they should go for DS9 in 16:9.

Should the fanbase create a "shitstorm" CBS might be inclined to just push the "Off" button, and that might be it for DS9 in high definition.

Maybe we do get to see a 1.33:1 vs. 1.78:1 demo (an opportunity we never had regarding TNG). I can only speak for myself, but I'd be waiting, first, to see such a demo before casting judgement.

Bob
Old April 1 2014, 09:22 AM   #195
Tosk
Rear Admiral

Robert Comsol wrote: View Post
Eventually, the decision was made on behalf of 4:3.
And for good reasons.
Tosk is offline   Reply With Quote