Retro Review: The Emperor’s New Cloak
By: Michelle on Dec 20

Star Trek Opera
By: T'Bonz on Dec 19

New Abrams Project
By: T'Bonz on Dec 18

IDW Publishing March 2015 Comics
By: T'Bonz on Dec 17

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > Star Trek - Original Series

Star Trek - Original Series The one that started it all...

Old March 14 2014, 09:44 PM   #391
Harvey
Admiral

Re: Fact-Checking Inside Star Trek: The Real Story

PM me an email address and I will send you what I have.

My blog: Star Trek Fact Check.
Harvey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 15 2014, 05:49 PM   #392
Harvey
Admiral

I've been working a new job the past few weeks, which has turned out to be great, and for the first time in three years have offers from a terrific PhD program (actually, three). Somehow, in between all the soul-searching of trying to choose between the two, I managed to write a little something:

http://startrekfactcheck.blogspot.co...eks-first.html

(Basically, it's an anotated memo detailing all the composers that were considered for Star Trek's first pilot)

Old March 15 2014, 08:09 PM   #393
Christopher
Writer

Intriguing that Jerry Goldsmith was the first name on the list. I wonder if his selection for TMP was because Roddenberry had always wanted him, or if it just worked out that way.

Harry Sukman would go on to score Roddenberry's pilots Genesis II and Planet Earth. Dominic Frontieri also scored the early-70s series Search, which Bob Justman produced (and which has just come out on DVD).

It's quite a list. I've heard of almost all of them, except Cy Coleman, who apparently was more of a songwriter than a score guy, making him an odd choice. Oh, and I'm not too familiar with Johnny Green, although it looks like he had a long association with Desilu, and conducted the score to The Brothers Karamazov, William Shatner's first feature film.

Jack Elliott's an interesting choice. He went on to do Barney Miller and Night Court, and the Charlie's Angels theme.

I wonder if "The Man from Iphania" could be a really distorted rendering of "The Girl from Ipanema" (which is sometimes covered by female artists as "The Boy From Ipanema"), in which case the composer would be Antônio Carlos Jobim. That's a long shot, but Jobim was one of the developers of the bossa nova style, which was an influence on the Trek theme. So it's conceivable.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 15 2014, 09:02 PM   #394
Harvey
Admiral

Christopher wrote: View Post
Harry Sukman would go on to score Roddenberry's pilots Genesis II and Planet Earth. Dominic Frontieri also scored the early-70s series Search, which Bob Justman produced (and which has just come out on DVD).
And he was hired to score a couple of second season episodes of the original series. More about that in the future, perhaps.

I wonder if "The Man from Iphania" could be a really distorted rendering of "The Girl from Ipanema" (which is sometimes covered by female artists as "The Boy From Ipanema"), in which case the composer would be Antônio Carlos Jobim. That's a long shot, but Jobim was one of the developers of the bossa nova style, which was an influence on the Trek theme. So it's conceivable.
That's a good guess, but if it's true, what a typo!

Old March 15 2014, 10:19 PM   #395
Christopher
Writer

Hmm... You said the memo was typed up from notes? I assume those were handwritten notes? I'm wondering if there's any way that "The Man from UNCLE," which had premiered a few months earlier, could be handwritten in a weird enough way that it could be misread as "The Man from Iphania." The main composer for TMFU's 1964-5 debut season, Jerry Goldsmith, is already on the list, but if it were somehow a huge typo for that show, it could be in reference to either Morton Stevens (Goldsmith's protege, known for Hawaii Five-O) or Walter Scharf (best known for the National Geographic Specials theme). (I'm not counting Lalo Schifrin, since his only first-season contribution was in an episode that aired in January '65.)

Although I'm very skeptical of this guess, since I doubt the memo would say "the composer of" if it were in reference to one of several composers.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 15 2014, 10:47 PM   #396
Harvey
Admiral

Christopher wrote: View Post
Hmm... You said the memo was typed up from notes?
Impossible to know. What you see on the blog is all that exists at UCLA.

I thought about The Man From U.N.C.L.E. but it seems pretty far fetched, as you point out.

Old March 31 2014, 03:08 AM   #397
Harvey
Admiral

Another record-related research question:

Has anyone here heard of this album? It's a single with the Star Trek theme on one side and "Peter and the Wolf" on the other, from December of 1966.

I've found a couple of images online, but no high resolution images of the Star Trek side.

There may have been a second pressing in 1967, although I don't know that for sure.

Old April 1 2014, 02:45 AM   #398
Daddy Todd
Captain

Harvey wrote: View Post

Has anyone here heard of this album? It's a single with the Star Trek theme on one side and "Peter and the Wolf" on the other, from December of 1966.

I've found a couple of images online, but no high resolution images of the Star Trek side.

There may have been a second pressing in 1967, although I don't know that for sure.
That guy specialized in easy listening knockoffs of soundtrack music. He scored BIG when his version of "Quentin's Theme" from Dark Shadows became a monster hit. His Star Trek theme appears on this album, from 1972.

ETA: The Star Trek theme was re-released in 1975.
Daddy Todd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old April 1 2014, 05:17 AM   #399
M'Sharak
Definitely Herbert. Maybe.

Daddy Todd wrote: View Post

That guy specialized in easy listening knockoffs of soundtrack music. He scored BIG when his version of "Quentin's Theme" from Dark Shadows became a monster hit. His Star Trek theme appears on this album, from 1972.

Grean also seems to have been the producer for Leonard Nimoy's first four albums.
M'Sharak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 13 2014, 11:23 PM   #400
Harvey
Admiral

Still working on the aforementioned music piece, along with a few other things that are currently in the fire, but I was able to re-post one of Sir Rhosis' unused story reviews (this one, on "The V.I.Ps," co-written by actor Malachi Throne) today.

http://startrekfactcheck.blogspot.co...r-malachi.html

Old April 14 2014, 12:36 AM   #401
Warped9
Admiral

^^ A part of that made me think of "The Magicks Of Megas-Tu."
Old April 14 2014, 01:03 AM   #402
BillJ
Admiral

View BillJ's Twitter Profile

Warped9 wrote: View Post
^^ A part of that made me think of "The Magicks Of Megas-Tu."
I had the same thought.
Old April 14 2014, 01:49 AM   #403
Harvey
Admiral

That's TAS, right? I watched the series when it was released on DVD, but outside of "Yesteryear" it didn't do much for me and my memory is pretty hazy.

Old April 14 2014, 02:05 AM   #404
Warped9
Admiral

That's TAS, right? I watched the series when it was released on DVD, but outside of "Yesteryear" it didn't do much for me and my memory is pretty hazy.
Yes. The Enterprise is exploring the heart of the galaxy when it comes upon some maelstrom that hurls the ship even further into some unknown region. There they come across a planet that looks nothing like they're familiar with and in a space that looks totally unreal. They're met by an unusual horned being named Lucien that appears as a half man and half goat. In the end Lucien is a member of a race that are masters of (what is to us) magic. They put the Enterprise crew on trial for the sins of our ancestors who persecuted these beings when they visited Earth centuries ago. The beings were persecuted as demons, sorcerers and witches when they refused to help certain ambitious humans. After a tme they fled back to their own realm.

In the end Lucien is revealed to be the one identified as Lucifer in Earth's history and they want to punish him as well for trying to hide and protect the Enterprise crew. Kirk rises to defend Lucifer because he doesn't think he should be punished for trying to help others. Neither does Kirk hold Lucien responsible for superstitious beliefs of ancient humans. In the end the Enterprise crew is released when they prove to the Megans that they are no longer a threat to their kind.

It actually isn't a bad story in itself and even sounds more substantial than Malachi Throne's idea. And the idea that Kirk is effectively defending "the Devil" is veiled in the guise of a Saturday morning cartoon. I wonder how many parents were sleeping in Saturday morning while their kids were watching this. I also like the idea that we never really learn the Megan's true forms and we're led to believe they assume human form so they can interact with us.

If anything this story is hurt by a couple of things. One is it's stilted animation and thus it doesn't resonate the same way as live-action. The other is it bears similarities to previous Trek stories where powerful aliens are testing humanity to learn their real intentions.

Suffice to say years later when I saw TFF I couldn't help but think of aspects of "The Magicks Of Megas-Tu."
Old April 14 2014, 02:26 PM   #405
Bumbles861
Admiral

Daddy Todd wrote: View Post

You can hear it (the 1975 re-release) here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-yoVc6oY4yE
Bumbles861 is offline   Reply With Quote