Pegg/Wright Trilogy In The Works
By: T'Bonz on Aug 20

Star Trek: The Compendium Rebate Details
By: T'Bonz on Aug 20

Gold Key Archives Volume 2
By: T'Bonz on Aug 19

Takei Documentary Wins Award
By: T'Bonz on Aug 19

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old March 30 2014, 01:50 PM   #76
starsuperion
Captain

Re: Prometheus 2: Apparently it's happening

RoJoHen wrote: View Post
bigdaddy wrote: View Post
The first one was completely useless trash that should almost be forgotten. A sequel would work if they did an Alien 3 and just find the ship floating around and the robot and human both dead.
My problem with the first one is that is seemed incomplete. It jumped from intriguing mystery to gross horror film so fast I barely had time to register what was going on. It probably could have stood to be about 30 minutes longer than it was to actually flesh out the story.

I admit I liked a little more the second time around because I could pick up on a lot of things I missed, but I still think it was rushed.
Totally agree with this! I wanted that mystery aspect..like Forbidden planet. lets hope when she gets to the engineer world, theres a huge mystery there, and makes her have to leave to find where they went..or something that makes the story more indepth and provides those ah ha! moments related back to Alien.
Old March 30 2014, 07:04 PM   #77
Reverend
Rear Admiral

CorporalCaptain wrote: View Post
MacLeod wrote: View Post
CorporalCaptain wrote: View Post
Since we're at least going sub-orbital on peripheral topics, it's worth mentioning that Aliens played up this trope in spades, but it didn't really suffer from it one bit.
Yes but to borrow a line from the aforementioned Aliens film, "I saw we take off and nuke the entire site from orbit, it's the only way to be sure." Which was the plan they intended to use until things went a little awray.
That would only support my point that the use itself of anachronistic weapons in Aliens wasn't a liability to the film (and that therefore it would be a double-standard to fault Avatar for that without also faulting Aliens), except that that's not the way Aliens unfolded anyway. In their initial engagement, the space marines in Aliens were officially limited to flamethrowers, and their best weapons were pulse rifles and grenades.

That's why my remarks were directed only at the aspect of DarthTom's that I actually quoted, his so-called "Plot contrivance", which did not include his so-called "Major Plot hole" that they didn't consider bombing from higher altitude. That "Major Plot hole" is a valid criticism of Avatar, which is why I didn't quote it and direct criticism at it.
We're getting pretty far off topic, but I don't get how the weaponry in Avatar was all that anachronistic. It's only 150 odd years from now. Are people expecting phasers just because they've cracked cloning, genetic engineering, cryonics and interstellar flight? Because that'd be very silly.

Also, it's not as if what we saw were some elite, top of the line military outfit. They're all ex-military working corporate security to babysit a bunch of miners and scientists, guarding against the local wildlife and natives armed with stone age technology.

Last edited by Reverend; March 30 2014 at 07:17 PM.
Reverend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 30 2014, 08:42 PM   #78
Enterprise1701
Captain

If Prometheus 2 is happening, then it had better be a thought-out movie unlike the first.
Enterprise1701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 31 2014, 11:54 PM   #79
Mr Light
Admiral

The opening of Prometheus proven to be true:

An ancient virus may be the reason human stem cells can transform

http://www.theverge.com/2014/3/30/55...-can-transform

Mr Light is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 18 2014, 09:49 PM   #80
Michelle
Lieutenant

The first one was too rushed. The film starts off too slowly and just explodes into madness all of a sudden leaving the watcher a bit clueless..
It went from being quite an interesting concept to Gore and guts and it just bothered me.
So yes, With better planning a second one could be good.
If anything else it should be entertaining.
Michelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 18 2014, 11:33 PM   #81
JarodRussell
Vice Admiral

The movie was an incredibly pain to watch. The characters were mind-boggingly stupid, every single one of them, from start to finish. The story was extremely shallow. No interest in a sequel whatsoever.
JarodRussell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 19 2014, 04:52 AM   #82
zakkrusz
Rear Admiral

I forgot about this one and had to look it up, it was so "memorable". Gave it a 4 according to IMDB, so I don't think I'll bother with a sequel.
Old April 19 2014, 06:07 PM   #83
Caretaker
Commodore

View Caretaker's Twitter Profile Send a message via ICQ to Caretaker Send a message via AIM to Caretaker

I enjoyed Prometheus, but agree that (most of) the characters were too stupid for their own good and that it changed too quickly to generic horror flick from mystery movie. That being said, I definitely want to see a follow-up as long as the writers know what they want the movie to say and drop this whole "it is but it isn't a a prequel to Alien" idea.

Of course, with only David and Elizabeth left alive, the two smartest characters remain and hopefully don't show the stupidity of the other characters from the original going forward.

Caretaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 19 2014, 07:55 PM   #84
sidious618
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to sidious618

I adored Prometheus and I'm really excited for a sequel.
Old April 19 2014, 08:13 PM   #85
Yanks
Fleet Captain

bigdaddy wrote: View Post
The first one was completely useless trash that should almost be forgotten. A sequel would work if they did an Alien 3 and just find the ship floating around and the robot and human both dead.
The first one was useless unless they have a sequel.
Old April 24 2014, 09:59 PM   #86
RAMA
Vice Admiral

New poster:http://www.scified.com/site/promethe...metheus-poster
Old May 4 2014, 09:31 PM   #87
publiusr
Commodore

I have often wondered why the ships look a certain way. I'm thinking the vessel with the flasks was very like a Hebrew font but in 3D.

The ship is made in the form of an Engineer glyph...that means death.

The ID4 type saucer at the start was a generic craft.
publiusr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16 2014, 08:21 PM   #88
137th Gebirg
Rear Admiral

^^^ Interesting...the flask ship that was originally designed by H.R. Giger (RIP) as the derelict in the first movie is in the general shape of a horseshoe, which is also reminiscent of the last letter in the Greek alphabet, Omega (Ω), that also has been historically symbolic for "the end" or death in the Christian religion, when Jesus refers to himself as "I am the Alpha and the Omega" - the beginning and the end.

Cool poster - looking forward to the new movie.
Old August 18 2014, 08:12 AM   #89
TerraNovan
Lieutenant Commander

I got a feeling its gonna be huge.
TerraNovan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 18 2014, 07:53 PM   #90
TerraNovan
Lieutenant Commander

-Brett- wrote: View Post
Prometheus 2 seems a little premature, given that they never finished Prometheus 1.

Prometheus 1.5 maybe?
That is because no one bothered to follow the prerelease promotional campaign.

If you did youd realize three core things to understand the movie..

1) this film is about creator-god complexs, not just the engineers but Weyland himself sees himself as a god. The entire promotional compaign is about how amazing his ideas and creations are.

2) This film is more closely connected to blade runner than Alien, that may throw you through a loop for a while, but if you understand the two films its almost obvious. David represents a truly new entity not burdened by human emotions.

3) David is the main cast of the movie, the crew are not at all relevant which is why they are intentionally under developed. The focus is all on david, and the extremes he will go to fulfill his masters wishes. Hence if you dont understand how he is programmed or the premises hes working under you will not get the movie..

Shaw is there to be representative victim of the human race. Weyland considers himself a god, David is basically a truly neutral party fulfilling his masters wishes, and the engineers representing yet a third faction that cannot be seen as mere mortal nor as a true god.
TerraNovan is offline   Reply With Quote