Sci-Fried To Release New Album
By: T'Bonz on Jul 28

Star Trek/Planet of the Apes Crossover

Star Trek into Darkness Soundtrack

Horse 1, Shatner 0

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Gaming

Gaming Non-Star Trek Gaming

Old March 30 2014, 05:57 PM   #31
USS Triumphant
Rear Admiral

Re: Why do people judge gamers?

Judging *video* gamers? Pft. Playing video games, even if it's just some phone-based thing like Angry Birds, is common these days. You haven't seen judgmental until you try to explain to someone that you play RPGs with pencil, paper, dice, and books! You kids and your computery games - you won't know what to do with yourselves when civilization ends and there's no power to run your computers and the ionization in the atmosphere wouldn't let them work even if there was! You'll be BEGGING me to run a game for you using the full 3.5 edition D&D library (no PDFs, real honest-to-Zarquon dead tree media) I have squirreled away in my doomsday cellar!

And I'll say, "Get offa mah lawn, SLACKERS!"

Old March 31 2014, 01:39 AM   #32
Irishman
Fleet Captain

Relayer1 wrote: View Post
Irishman wrote: View Post
SPCTRE wrote: View Post
^ I was going to say, the OP's "people" are in the process of quite literally dying out.
And they're having little to no fun while doing it.
You can't assume that.

I've played games and find it little or no fun, whereas rock music, films, TV and particularly reading provide huge amounts of entertainment...

Humor on my part. I thought the smile gave it away.
Irishman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 31 2014, 01:40 AM   #33
Irishman
Fleet Captain

USS Triumphant wrote: View Post
Judging *video* gamers? Pft. Playing video games, even if it's just some phone-based thing like Angry Birds, is common these days. You haven't seen judgmental until you try to explain to someone that you play RPGs with pencil, paper, dice, and books! You kids and your computery games - you won't know what to do with yourselves when civilization ends and there's no power to run your computers and the ionization in the atmosphere wouldn't let them work even if there was! You'll be BEGGING me to run a game for you using the full 3.5 edition D&D library (no PDFs, real honest-to-Zarquon dead tree media) I have squirreled away in my doomsday cellar!

Hey, look out your front window.

Yep, that's me, running through your petunias.

Whatcha gonna do?
Irishman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 31 2014, 02:00 AM   #34
USS Triumphant
Rear Admiral

Whatcha gonna do?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?featur...euWF1UBjo#t=63

Old March 31 2014, 03:04 AM   #35
nightwind1
Commodore

Whatcha gonna do?
Roll for Initiative, punk...

May have been the losing side. Still not convinced it was the wrong one.
nightwind1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 31 2014, 03:20 AM   #36
USS Triumphant
Rear Admiral

nightwind1 wrote: View Post
Roll for Initiative, punk...
You... you can roll up a character for my post-apocalyptic game. 1st level, 28 point buy. I'll give you directions later.
Old March 31 2014, 03:54 PM   #37
Kelthaz
Rear Admiral

You kids and your computery games - you won't know what to do with yourselves when civilization ends and there's no power to run your computers and the ionization in the atmosphere wouldn't let them work even if there was! You'll be BEGGING me to run a game for you using the full 3.5 edition D&D library (no PDFs, real honest-to-Zarquon dead tree media) I have squirreled away in my doomsday cellar!
Oh, please. I have more than enough portable systems and AA batteries to survive until I die of dehydration or someone kills me to eat my flesh. I'll be fine. And, unlike you, I'll have a source of light to play at night. Good luck rolling your d20s in the pitch black of that abandoned bomb shelter you're hiding in.

"I'm the locksmith. And... I'm the locksmith."
Kelthaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 31 2014, 04:50 PM   #38
Relayer1
Commodore

Relayer1 wrote: View Post

And they're having little to no fun while doing it.
You can't assume that.

I've played games and find it little or no fun, whereas rock music, films, TV and particularly reading provide huge amounts of entertainment...

Humor on my part. I thought the smile gave it away.
Nah, I got the humour, it's just that I'm doggedly banging away at my point that some people just don't find video games entertaining. It doesn't make me judgmental or dull...my son doesn't read and plays a lot of games. Although I think he's missing out it's up to him. He's doing fantastically at school, so he's no dummy. Whatever...

He reckons I'm dull though. Which is how it should be.
Old March 31 2014, 05:03 PM   #39
Spider
Dirty Old Man

Who cares what people think about gamers? I'm in my 60s and fixing to retire and I can't wait for the extra time for gaming. Especially since now I'll be getting paid to sit at home on my ass. LOL

spider's new motto: So many Lounge bars, so little time. - DAK

At my age you take what you can get. Or invent. - Mallory
Spider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 2 2014, 03:49 AM   #40
Davros
Fleet Admiral

If the only game one plays are video games, I don't really consider them a gamer. When it was about obscure rules systems, hex maps, polyhedral dice, and the like gamers faced much stronger social stigma.
Old April 2 2014, 07:47 AM   #41
Timewalker
Cat-lovin', Star Trekkin' Time Lady

Kelthaz wrote: View Post
You kids and your computery games - you won't know what to do with yourselves when civilization ends and there's no power to run your computers and the ionization in the atmosphere wouldn't let them work even if there was! You'll be BEGGING me to run a game for you using the full 3.5 edition D&D library (no PDFs, real honest-to-Zarquon dead tree media) I have squirreled away in my doomsday cellar!
Oh, please. I have more than enough portable systems and AA batteries to survive until I die of dehydration or someone kills me to eat my flesh. I'll be fine. And, unlike you, I'll have a source of light to play at night. Good luck rolling your d20s in the pitch black of that abandoned bomb shelter you're hiding in.
Didn't you know that there are lots of sets of polyhedral dice that glow in the dark?

For some great Original Series fanfic, check out the Valjiir Continuum!
Timewalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 2 2014, 03:40 PM   #42
Chemahkuu
Vice Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to Chemahkuu

Yup, my d20 is a blue GitD version. Runs on sunlight, unless we go all Matrix and fuck that up too.
Old April 2 2014, 09:41 PM   #43
Timewalker
Cat-lovin', Star Trekkin' Time Lady

Mine was green. As in mint green. That was one of the freakiest-looking things I ever saw when it glowed in the dark.

For some great Original Series fanfic, check out the Valjiir Continuum!
Timewalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 3 2014, 12:13 AM   #44
Davros
Fleet Admiral

I have a glowing d12 and Nuclear Escalation has a glowing D6 with a mushroom cloud for the one. I have 2 d8s with dots but they don't glow.
Old May 2 2014, 09:34 AM   #45
2takesfrakes
Commodore

I never understood the appeal of playing as STAR TREK characters in a video game. That is, manipulating digital puppets on repetitive, pre-determined missions. If I were to ever play a video game based on STAR TREK, it would seem that the starships themselves would provide enough entertainment. Specifically, firing phasers and quantum torpedoes and ... and so forth. I find the whole playing with puppets thing to be very strange, but I never judged gamers for that.

In fact, there are even video games out now, which are designed to help doctors home their eye-hand coordination and things like that. I'm not much of a gamer, at all, but when I've given it a go, I just want the KILL button and lots of easy targets. I don't want to be "challenged." It's bad enough there's these very strange controls, with the X, O, ^ buttons, the twirly knobs and all that ... maybe all of these things collectively influence people's judgement on gamers? But as I say, video games have certainly proven their worth, in certain circles ... and situations.