Made Out Of Mudd Photonovel
By: T'Bonz on Sep 15

Takei Has Growth Removed
By: T'Bonz on Sep 15

Retro Review: Tears of the Prophets
By: Michelle on Sep 12

New Wizkids Attack Wing Ships
By: T'Bonz on Sep 12

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Fandom > Fan Art

Fan Art Post your Trek fan art here, including hobby models and collectibles.

Old March 29 2014, 01:53 AM   #31
Warped9
Admiral

Re: TOS in the 29th century...

sojourner wrote: View Post
I always liked that concept but felt that the secondary hull needed a few more design passes.
Well, I'm modelling it now so we'll see how it comes it in 3D. The whole thing needs more detail as well.
Old March 29 2014, 03:05 AM   #32
sojourner
Admiral

Your modelling the NX-1701-A?
Old March 29 2014, 04:01 AM   #33
Warped9
Admiral

Your modelling the NX-1701-A?
No. I mistakenly thought you were referring to me.
Old March 29 2014, 05:57 AM   #34
sojourner
Admiral

Ah, sorry.

Your ship has it's own style that doesn't appeal to me, but I'm sure I've posted some designs that don't appeal to others as well. So no biggy.
Old March 29 2014, 11:13 AM   #35
Warped9
Admiral

I've been thinking about certain details regarding how the secondary drive will look like as well as the different design of the deflector system.
Old March 29 2014, 10:54 PM   #36
Warped9
Admiral

Here we have a first look at my emerging design. I find it interesting to see in 3D. I have to say that when making computer models like this the individual parts sometimes don't look as you envisioned them in your mind. Sometimes they don't look right until they're connected with other parts and some light and shadow starts to make it all come together. That said this is looking pretty close to how I initially envisioned it. Of course, there will be modifications as I progress and there will be more detail added than I originally drew.

Old April 1 2014, 01:53 AM   #37
Warped9
Admiral

While I'm working this on the model (I'm near having the hangar section done) in the back of my mind I'm beginning to toy with two concepts. They would reflect the aesthetic approach I took with the Enterprise, but now I'm pondering design concepts for a Starfleet shuttlecraft and a Rihannsu (Romulan) Warburd.

This design for the Enterprise was greatly inspired by the work of some SF artists, particularly John Berkey and Vincent DiFate, but there were others as well such as Syd Mead. Since this was a reset/rebooted vision I jettisoned perhaps most of what had been done on Star Trek and sci-fi in film and television.

What I wanted to keep from the original:
- a clean, streamlined aesthetic with just the right balance of additional detail for a well integrated look.
- the essential saucer, secondary hull and nacelles concept.
- some basically familiar shapes to evoke the original MJ design yet still manage its own integrated look.

The main saucer hull is basically the MJ design but made somewhat more husky, almost as if it had been over-inflated. I eliminated the familiar bridge dome and B/C deck section for something different (which I'm currently working out). The dorsal made heftier overall in relation to the saucer resulting in a sizeable amount of room in that section. The support pylons are variations of those from the TMP refit, but again they are heftier in relation to the secondary hull. The hangar section is (like the saucer and dorsal) conceptually similar to the MJ original and the fantail is exaggerated.

The nacelles and the secondary hull are the biggest departure from MJ's original design. When I began sketching I tried some quite extreme shapes which were mostly an exercise in eliminating things I wouldn't use. But this approach can lead to interesting results as you find yourself considering things you mightn't have envisioned before. It pushes your comfort level. The lines of this design in profile suggests speed and something of leaping forward. When I considered using a different setup for the navigational deflector it allowed me more flexibility. And I deliberately tried lines and shapes that struck me as odd at first.

The nacelles might seem small (in profile) in relation to the ship given we are accustomed to a design with proportionately larger nacelles. But I wanted to think of advanced science and technology where size wasn't always an indicator of power. I wanted the nacelles to look integrated with the rest of the ship. Structurally they look well supported by the swept style pylons.

In terms of colour I envision it in varying tones of light grey or silver. The red and yellow of the Starfleet signage will remain although I will tweak the style. The font style will be different.

I toyed with different registries.
NCC-1701
NCC-7001
NCC-7101
NCC-17001
NCC-71001

In the end I lean to keeping 1701 because it still works. If this were to be a farther future Enterprise set something after TNG then I would lean to 17001 or 71001. I was never of a fan of a suffix added to a registry.

In terms of sister ships I was initially considering the following: Enterprise, Excalibur, Valiant, Intrepid, Kongo, Challenger, ShiKahr and T'saio.

Last edited by Warped9; April 1 2014 at 12:17 PM.
Warped9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 2 2014, 12:55 AM   #38
BillJ
Admiral

View BillJ's Twitter Profile

I'm just not feeling it. The secondary hull is way too short.
Old April 2 2014, 01:34 AM   #39
Herkimer Jitty
Rear Admiral

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Herkimer Jitty

I was about to say "Looks kind of John Berkey-ish in that 3/4 shot", but then I scrolled down, heh. So far it looks pretty pleasing to the eye - I'm interested to see how it looks with the engines roughed in place.
Old April 2 2014, 03:49 AM   #40
Warped9
Admiral

Today I completed the aft section with the fantail and hangar area. Presently I'm working on the dorsal. In the original drawing it was just a shape on the aft edge of the dorsal, but now I'm detailing that. I'll try to post something tomorrow.
Old April 3 2014, 03:17 PM   #41
Warped9
Admiral

I deliberately stepped away from what most everyone else was doing with new Trek designs: stretching the length and flattening the height resulting in what I felt are pancake like designs.

Once in awhile I like to blow things apart and jettisoning most everything I'm familiar with and look at other possibilities. From there I start to look again at retaining some faimiliar elements while exploring the new. If I really were running a restart---either einterpreting TOS or picking up down the road---I would basically ignore most of what came after. Presently, even JJtrek, the notion is to hew closely to what looks familiar. Look how many fans want to return to the "prime" universe or original continuity. Yeah, you can do that in books and comics and games and fan productions, but I think that wouldn't fly anymore if you went mainstream. It would only cater to the core fanbase and likely not all of those either.

In daring to reinterpreting TOS you risk upsetting so many people who have devloped their own vision of what TOS is and what makes it work. One core element I've always had in mind was that MJ's original ship design was perfectly emblamatic of the show as a whole. It has become almost sancrsanct and you tamper with it at your own risk. Not everyone (but probably most) embraced the TMP refit design. I know (myself included) not everyone was won over by the 1701-D design and every subsequent version after that. Certainly the JJprise caused an uproar. But at the heart if you're going to reinterpret Star Trek you need something recognizable that instantly says "Star Trek" when you see it: the hero ship, or more specifically the Enterprise.

I certainly don't pretend that everyone will like my interpretation, but if nothing else it can be food for thought.

It's interesting CRA thinks there are too many angles because there's hardly a straight line on the design. Even the aft edge of the dorsal is actually a very subtle curve.

Anyway moving forward. The hangar section and fantail are done as is the major detailing on the dorsal. That dorsal detail was...interesting. There are 47 ridges making up that element and they follow a very gentle curve as they go upward.

Next I'll be working on the superstructure atop the saucer. Just as the support hull looked rather weird without the hangar section the saucer looks odd without the superstructure section.

I've been thinking about where Main engineering could be. This design is meant to be about 120-150% larger (give or take) than MJ's deign. That allows for extra room. Manin Engineering could still be in the support hull (near the base of the drosal) or it could be at the aft end of the saucer (just ahead of where the impulse or sublight antigrav drive will be. Main Engineering could even be situated in the dorsal itself either just below the saucer or just above tthe secondary hull.

As I mentioned earlier the bridge is still near the top, but not the very top. It still makes sense to have Sickbay near the centre of the saucer. The shuttlecraft will be somewhat larger than before. The main navigational deflector will be comparatively more compact than previous designs. I've allowed for fore and aft firing torpedo systems. The forward torpedo system could be in the lower section of the saucer or the secondary hull. The aft firing torpedo system will be set in the lower part of the fantail.

Last edited by Warped9; April 3 2014 at 03:32 PM.
Warped9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 3 2014, 11:58 PM   #42
1701TPA
Lieutenant

Your ship has it's own style that doesn't appeal to me, but I'm sure I've posted some designs that don't appeal to others as well. So no biggy.
well said : ) .. does not work for me as well
1701TPA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 4 2014, 12:14 AM   #43
BillJ
Admiral

View BillJ's Twitter Profile

Is the entire secondary hull a shuttle bay or is this ship really big?
Old April 4 2014, 12:16 AM   #44
Warped9
Admiral

BillJ wrote: View Post
Is the entire secondary hull a shuttle bay or is this ship really big?
The ship is definitely larger than the original. The shape is deceptive too. Seen from aft angles the secondary hull looks smaller than it is. On the original the hangar section stretched across the entire aft end of the secondary hul. The Aft section of this design is distibctly wider.

1701TPA wrote: View Post

well said : ) .. does not work for me as well
Noted. So I can assume neither of you will be interested in how I'll be proceeding.
Old April 4 2014, 01:56 AM   #45
USS Mariner
Rear Admiral

View USS Mariner's Twitter Profile Send a message via AIM to USS Mariner Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to USS Mariner

I've been trying to mock up a revised NX-01 in SketchUp, and I just scratch my head at how you get complicated, accurate shapes.

How do you setup your work flow?

Subspace Commns Network ~ Visit Marinina!
USS Mariner is offline   Reply With Quote