Star Trek 3 Potential Director Shortlist
By: T'Bonz on Dec 16

Official Starships Collection Update
By: T'Bonz on Dec 15

Retro Review: Prodigal Daughter
By: Michelle on Dec 13

Sindicate Lager To Debut In The US Next Week
By: T'Bonz on Dec 12

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Welcome to the Trek BBS! > General Trek Discussion

General Trek Discussion Trek TV and cinema subjects not related to any specific series or movie.

Old March 28 2014, 09:57 PM   #976
trekker670
Fleet Captain

Re: Star Trek: Starships Model/Magazine Subscription

I haven't received my shipment yet (I haven't been home yet today), but it sounds like Eaglemoss has listened to the outcry of the subscribers due to the 3-week waiting period between payment and delivery. I was charged on 17 March, so it seems they've cut the delivery time down to under 2-weeks, which is great!

If I had to guess, I'd say we'll be charged and shipped as normal (using the new schedule) in mid/late April, especially since the US is a few month between Europe, so the products are already done, assuming they do separate runs for the various regions.
trekker670 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 28 2014, 10:11 PM   #977
Johnny Rico
Rear Admiral

View Johnny Rico's Twitter Profile

Kevman7987 wrote: View Post
I got my Jem'Hadar Cruiser & Cardassian Galor in today's mail as well. I wo

nder if this means we'll be charged again soon and get May's ships in mid-April, or if May's ships will show up at the end of April, or if May's will come in May and we'll have a shipless April?
You're over thinking it there, buddy. That said, I got my Jem Haddar cruiser and Galor class today as well.

I'm very impressed with the detail and mold of the Jem Hddar cruiser. The question about the paint job, can be answered by looking at the various pics in the mag. Especially the centerfold profile pics. Now then look at the under belly shot. On one of the ridges, you can see the very color of grey in a "lit" area. Which means that the darker "purple" color we're used to seeing is nothing more than the color the ship would look like in the darkness or shade of space. In fact, there's another shot in the mag in an action shot that is shot with top down lighting, and the ship is about as grey as our model is here. What I have a problem with is that they left off a bit of that burnt orange paint in the rear along those curved pointy things to each side of the impulse engine.
Johnny Rico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 29 2014, 04:45 AM   #978
trekker670
Fleet Captain

I was pretty thrilled to read that the Galor CG model got upgraded for HD broadcast. Hopefully that's a hint towards DS9 in HD, since the model was used in TNG. (I made a more detailed post in the DS9 on blurray thread in the DS9 section)
trekker670 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 29 2014, 05:28 AM   #979
mswood
Rear Admiral

Sans wrote: View Post
trekker670 wrote: View Post

If you're asking how to reattached the removed pylons, I think most modeling glue would work just fine.

I'm guessing the actual issue with them becoming detached has to due with the weather at the time they were released. They're shipping from PA, so they experience extreme cold (around that time it reaching -20 F pretty regularly) which made the seams more fragile, so combine that with the rough treatment most packages receive during shipment and you've got a recipe for broken pylons. Thankfully they're easily fixed.
The lower pylons are still not right. They are still bowed in to far. I am wanting to remove them and trying to figure out the best way to go about that.
That doesn't sound like a flaw, but eagle moss specific design. Unlike the real studio model they altered the angles of the lower pylons to allow for a sturdy support system. And it is distracting.
Old March 29 2014, 07:41 AM   #980
Tosk
Rear Admiral

mswood wrote: View Post
That doesn't sound like a flaw, but eagle moss specific design. Unlike the real studio model they altered the angles of the lower pylons to allow for a sturdy support system. And it is distracting.
Yeah, it's my most hated change so far. To alter the dimensions just to (supposedly) make it sit easier is a terrible call, in my opinion. DS9 is the only one I don't have on display, instead I have all the ships around my Playmates DS9.
Tosk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 29 2014, 11:22 AM   #981
Dimesdan
Rear Admiral

Location: The United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland
Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Dimesdan

I personally don't mind. For the price I payed and the detail on the model, I think it's fine, even with slightly slanted lower pylons.

I'm on twitter now. @DimesDaniel
Dimesdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 29 2014, 10:16 PM   #982
Kevman7987
Commander

View Kevman7987's Twitter Profile

Toxteth O´Grady wrote: View Post
Yeah, unfortunately this might mean we'll go more than a month with no new ships.
Maybe we'll luck out and they'll send out the JJprise Special by itself during April. I'd rather pay $40 for April and $40 for May instead of $80 for May.
Old March 29 2014, 11:56 PM   #983
Sans
Lieutenant

mswood wrote: View Post
Sans wrote: View Post
trekker670 wrote: View Post

If you're asking how to reattached the removed pylons, I think most modeling glue would work just fine.

I'm guessing the actual issue with them becoming detached has to due with the weather at the time they were released. They're shipping from PA, so they experience extreme cold (around that time it reaching -20 F pretty regularly) which made the seams more fragile, so combine that with the rough treatment most packages receive during shipment and you've got a recipe for broken pylons. Thankfully they're easily fixed.
The lower pylons are still not right. They are still bowed in to far. I am wanting to remove them and trying to figure out the best way to go about that.
Be that as it may, since I now have three of them, I would like to make one right.
Sans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 30 2014, 12:42 AM   #984
Frontier
Vice Admiral

View Frontier's Twitter Profile Send a message via AIM to Frontier

I wonder if in fact we don't just have messed up coloring ideas because of the Micro Machines? Seeing a non-blue Excelsior or a non-yellow Stargazer just makes them look wrong to me.
I don't think so. I have other Excelsiors and Stargazers and the legitimate coloring of them (compared to the micromachines) never threw me.

The Eaglemoss Galor simply doesn't look like it does on the TV screen, or in any physical format I've seen it in. It well and truly looks too brown and not at all the vibrant gold.

As for the Jem'Hadar ship, it's a more subtle difference so I'm willing to overlook it, especially what with it being the first time said ships been made.

137th Gebirg wrote: View Post
We also have to remember that, while the models may have looked a certain way onscreen under controlled lighting, some of them looked vastly different in person. I was personally shocked to see that the original TNG S1 Romulan Warbird miniature was damn near gray, with just a faint hint of green. The oversaturated green color we all saw on sceen was done either with gels over studio lighting or via color adjustment in post. It is entirely possible that some of these colors may be closer to what they were originally supposed to be than what we actually saw. I can personally attest that model builders mull over this question all the time when it comes to painting their creations. The fact that these models suffer from a similar quandary is unsurprising, and should almost be expected.
Why would they make their Warbird deep green then only to then "correct" the Galor in such a way? It makes no sense.

Yes, the studio model may have been X or Y. But with a rare exception, most products reflect what we see on screen in terms of coloring. Only a few glaring issues like the bright yellow Stargazer micromachine exist. Other stargazers, like the late 90s "strike force" one was done properly, as was the Furuta one.

Honestly, I feel that Eagelmoss just screwed up on this Galor. Which is fine. You've got to give them a mulligan now and then. This is an ambitious and complicated project that's not been done before. I'm more disturbed that so many fans haven't noticed and said such, lol. We're renowned for being nitpicky nuts! How'd we let them slip this one passed us?

Frontier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 30 2014, 02:10 AM   #985
drt
Commander

I actually like the darker color on the Galor better, I have a bigger issue with the color of the refit Enterprise.
drt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 30 2014, 08:29 AM   #986
Tosk
Rear Admiral

Frontier wrote: View Post
I think the cover of the magazine juxtaposed with the ship itself says it best:

Coloring is just... really off, imho.
I dunno, I'm glad it's not bright yellow like the mag cover.

It's not as though there weren't some pretty drab Galors running around, either.

http://ds9.trekcore.com/gallery/albu...efiant_551.jpg
Tosk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 30 2014, 10:04 PM   #987
mswood
Rear Admiral

Frontier wrote: View Post
I wonder if in fact we don't just have messed up coloring ideas because of the Micro Machines? Seeing a non-blue Excelsior or a non-yellow Stargazer just makes them look wrong to me.
I don't think so. I have other Excelsiors and Stargazers and the legitimate coloring of them (compared to the micromachines) never threw me.

The Eaglemoss Galor simply doesn't look like it does on the TV screen, or in any physical format I've seen it in. It well and truly looks too brown and not at all the vibrant gold.

As for the Jem'Hadar ship, it's a more subtle difference so I'm willing to overlook it, especially what with it being the first time said ships been made.

137th Gebirg wrote: View Post
We also have to remember that, while the models may have looked a certain way onscreen under controlled lighting, some of them looked vastly different in person. I was personally shocked to see that the original TNG S1 Romulan Warbird miniature was damn near gray, with just a faint hint of green. The oversaturated green color we all saw on sceen was done either with gels over studio lighting or via color adjustment in post. It is entirely possible that some of these colors may be closer to what they were originally supposed to be than what we actually saw. I can personally attest that model builders mull over this question all the time when it comes to painting their creations. The fact that these models suffer from a similar quandary is unsurprising, and should almost be expected.
Why would they make their Warbird deep green then only to then "correct" the Galor in such a way? It makes no sense.

Yes, the studio model may have been X or Y. But with a rare exception, most products reflect what we see on screen in terms of coloring. Only a few glaring issues like the bright yellow Stargazer micromachine exist. Other stargazers, like the late 90s "strike force" one was done properly, as was the Furuta one.

Honestly, I feel that Eagelmoss just screwed up on this Galor. Which is fine. You've got to give them a mulligan now and then. This is an ambitious and complicated project that's not been done before. I'm more disturbed that so many fans haven't noticed and said such, lol. We're renowned for being nitpicky nuts! How'd we let them slip this one passed us?
Actually its one of the ships I have heard the most complaints over. Though most of them were made with the very first promotional material was released many months ago, as far as coloring goes.

Now a lot of more rabid complaints are about tiny errors in text, markings in reverse, and small errors in physical shapes. Which all seem to get more vocal complaints.
Old April 3 2014, 12:02 AM   #988
mr.peany
Fleet Captain

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to mr.peany

Has anybody in Aus recieved the first issue via subscription yet?? I'm still waiting and apparently it's been available in stores for a few days now
http://unoland.myminicity.com/
mr.peany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 3 2014, 05:11 PM   #989
mythme
Commodore

TrekCore just posted the comparison vid of the remastered "The Wounded". The upgrade really shows the brownish color of the Galor. Seems like Eaglemoss wasn't far off.
Old April 5 2014, 01:04 PM   #990
Mr Pointy Ears
Captain

From march 31st they have been available from local newsagencies(a shop that sells newspaper,magazines,pens and pencils etc),the first one which was the D was only $4 and the rest will be around $12-$15.
Mr Pointy Ears is offline   Reply With Quote