TV Alert: Pine On Tonight Show
By: T'Bonz on Dec 22

Retro Review: The Emperor’s New Cloak
By: Michelle on Dec 20

Star Trek Opera
By: T'Bonz on Dec 19

New Abrams Project
By: T'Bonz on Dec 18

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > Enterprise

Enterprise The final frontier has a new beginning in this forum!

Old February 28 2014, 09:36 PM   #1
Dale Sams
Fleet Captain

The Andorian episodes and makeup

So I've started watching The Andorian episodes back-to-back. Am I to assume that ...between Reed's lipstick and Sopek's horriby applied make-up....the make-up artists had their hands full with the Andorians and couldn't be bothered to do a full job on everyone else?
Dale Sams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 1 2014, 01:20 PM   #2
2takesfrakes
Commodore

Re: The Andorian episodes and makeup

I'm forced to agree: I'm sure that as the ratings continued to be lackluster, they started cutting corners everywhere they could. The make-up department on ENTERPRISE did seem to have a really small staff/budget. As to the Andorian make-up, specifically, Jeffery Combs' eyes were always bloodshot and squinty, as an Andorian, except towards the very end, where maybe they started using paint that didn't have such fumes, or whatever. But yes, you were not the only one to notice the piss-poor job from the make-up department, I assure you. There is tremendous pressure in a job like that, though. Stars' careers depend so greatly on how they look, so I'm kind of surprised to have seen that happen, especially in the most recent STAR TREK series ...
2takesfrakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 1 2014, 01:29 PM   #3
teacake
Fleet Admiral

Location: Google's ass cave full of the lush, lush asses they have stolen.

But I love Reed's lipstick!

"Damnit Spock. God damnit!" Kirk ST:V
■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
teacake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 3 2014, 08:08 PM   #4
trekker670
Fleet Captain

I've never noticed the problems with Reed or Sopek, but looking at the image of Sopek on Memory-Alpha it does look very "splotchy." I'm not sure about the Reed lipstick issue though, I've never noticed it and nothing seemed to stand out in the TrekCore screencaps.

That said, when rewatching on blu-ray, I noticed that some of the Andorian makeup jobs were pretty poor as well. There was one (I don't remember who it was exactly, maybe the SO who appears on the viewscreen in "Proving Grounds") where the makeup around the eyes was quite bad, like they forgot to apply the blue eyeliner, so he had pink rings around his otherwise blue face. It definitely brought be out of the episode, given that he was in several closeups.
trekker670 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 3 2014, 11:52 PM   #5
Ro_Laren
Commodore

I never even noticed the change in the make-up jobs!
Ro_Laren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 5 2014, 02:59 PM   #6
trekker670
Fleet Captain

I think perhaps another "tell" in the reduced makeup budget is in "Acquisition" out of the four actors who played Ferengi, two of them (Combs and Philips) had already played Ferengi in the past, and at least one of the others (Howard, but I think it's safe to assume Malloy likely did as well) wore the appliances from molds made for other actors (Howard stated he wore Shimmerman's). I'd imagine not having to cast and create all new molds saved a substantial amount of the budget.
trekker670 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 15 2014, 09:07 PM   #7
ReedEnterprise
Captain

Suzie Plakson played an Andorian Tarah, and I always thought they didn't do a good job on her make up and that was season 2.
Old March 18 2014, 11:21 AM   #8
2takesfrakes
Commodore

Women always seemed to get a little better treatment, as far as make-up would go, anyway. For example, the Orion Slave Girls' make-up was done in a layered, almost translucent way that was well done. I hated the head appliance for the Andorians, though. Having their attenae more towards the middle, at the top of the skull seemed to make more sense, to me. Now, they're quasi-horn-like, similar to Hell Boy, or something like that. It also ended up giving Andorians very high foreheads - including the girls - which was kind of off-putting, truth-be-told.
2takesfrakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 26 2014, 04:37 AM   #9
LMFAOschwarz
Fleet Captain

ReedEnterprise wrote: View Post
Suzie Plakson played an Andorian Tarah, and I always thought they didn't do a good job on her make up and that was season 2.
That was the only time I ever noticed anything wrong with anyone's makeup. Plakson to me looked like she had the Andorian equivalent of a peeling sunburn.
LMFAOschwarz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 26 2014, 11:51 AM   #10
Tosk
Rear Admiral

trekker670 wrote: View Post
Howard stated he wore Shimerman's
He's incorrect. It was Jeffrey Combs and Ethan Phillips who wore "Quark" heads, while Clint and Matt Malloy both wore "Brunt" heads.
Tosk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 26 2014, 03:08 PM   #11
Richard Baker
Captain

One thing I did like about the new Andorian makeup was how expressive those antenna were- so much better that the static sucker-things used before. The way they moved around while a character was talking gave the impression of an additional sense was being used to perceive...
Richard Baker is offline   Reply With Quote