Greenwood Cast In Truth
By: T'Bonz on Oct 28

Cumberbatch In Talks For Strange
By: T'Bonz on Oct 28

Two New Trek Bobble Heads
By: T'Bonz on Oct 27

Meaney On Playing Historical Figure Durant
By: T'Bonz on Oct 27

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies XI+

Star Trek Movies XI+ Discuss J.J. Abrams' rebooted Star Trek here.

Old March 24 2014, 12:15 AM   #226
2takesfrakes
Commodore

Re: Khan's Into Darkness Appearance change finally explained

There've been a couple of people named "Singh" in STAR TREK. I know in TOS the one that was supposed to keep an eye on NOMAD got killed by him. Khan, of course, wore that surname. I believe one of the parade of Chief Engineers in TNG's first season was also named Singh. Then, of course, there's Data's daddy. So, even if Roddenberry never saw or heard from this friend of his again, the guy's name got worn out in the STAR TREK franchise ...
2takesfrakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 24 2014, 12:35 AM   #227
M'Sharak
Definitely Herbert. Maybe.

Hober Mallow wrote: View Post
BigJake wrote: View Post
This article contains something I did not know about the name "Noonien Singh" and why it turned up in two different versions in Trek: apparently the name was a reference to a real-life friend of his named Kim Noonien Singh.

The article ultimately pulls the claim from IMDB and I don't know how credible it is, but surely this would be the place to find someone who can verify it?
Wasn't the name of Roddenberry's friend simply "Noonien Singh?"
The story about a wartime friend of Roddenberry's with whom he lost contact has been around for years and has been repeated many times, but never in any greater detail than that. The name has been given sometimes as Noonien Singh and sometimes as Kim Noonien Singh. I've also seen it given more recently as Kim Noonien Wang; Memory Alpha now has that (citing an io9 article as the source,) as does this blog entry.
M'Sharak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 24 2014, 01:12 AM   #228
BigSnake
Rear Admiral

^ Hmm, that makes it sound suspiciously like urban legend.
Old March 24 2014, 02:03 AM   #229
M'Sharak
Definitely Herbert. Maybe.

^ Hmm, that makes it sound suspiciously like urban legend.
Or maybe something Roddenberry might relate during the Q&A session at con appearances, the story becoming more polished with repetition. Since Roddenberry was supposed to have flown out of Espiritu Santo during the war, an ethnic Chinese Wang Nun-Yen or a Fijian Indian Noonien Singh sound like equally likely people for him to have encountered there, though the "Kim" part would be out of place in either case.
M'Sharak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 24 2014, 04:54 AM   #230
WarpFactorZ
Captain

King Daniel Into Darkness wrote: View Post
However clear or unclear the specifics of his ethnicity may not be at any point, he is always named Khan Noonien Singh, a name with conspicuously South Asian resonance. That's why even non-Trekkie audience members were able to twig to the oddness of his being played by a white guy. So this really strikes me as being a bit of a dodge.
And when Noonien Soong turned out to be a white American in TNG...?
Well, look at name distributions today. I can't count the number of Asians I've met named Grace, Betty, Doris, Mae, Lilly, Sam, Bruce, Mike, etc... What's to say in 300 years it's uncommon to see white men named Takashi, Mohammed, Noonien, Ahmad, etc...
WarpFactorZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 24 2014, 10:23 AM   #231
Belz...
Fleet Captain

This is another weak dodge of a kind we've already seen multiple times in this very thread. The religion is overwhelmingly identified with the ethnicity and we all know that, okay?
No, not okay. The point is that we do not need to be Indian to be Sikh. I'll also point out that "Khan" is not an Indian name, anyway.

Can we please just dispense with the constantly-revolving carousel of evasive bull?
There was no bull. Just because you disagree with it doesn't make it dishonest. Could we please just dispense with the carousel of insults, now ?

If you choose as a fan to rationalize it in this or that way then cool, whatever works for you.
It's a statement of fact.

I think that's something you're just going to have to come to terms with.
<chuckle> I think you're putting way too much importance on this piece of fiction. What YOU are going to have to come to terms with is that nothing is firmly established in fiction, and may be retconned at any time, in addition to the fact that extrapolating from limited data, like in this case, doesn't give one definite answers.

IOW, rationalize things as you please, just don't be a dick about it.
Oh, the Irony.
Old March 24 2014, 11:02 AM   #232
BigSnake
Rear Admiral

I've said pretty much what I have to say at this point, so I'll let you have the last word in-thread if you like. If you feel I'm being extremely unfair to you I'm happy to discuss further by PM.
Old March 24 2014, 11:09 AM   #233
JarodRussell
Vice Admiral

Heck, even the official comic explains the change, acknowledging that Khan was from India.
JarodRussell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 24 2014, 11:23 AM   #234
BigSnake
Rear Admiral

JarodRussell wrote: View Post
Heck, even the official comic explains the change, acknowledging that Khan was from India.
Yeah, pretty much. Whether the comics' solution was necessary or not -- or technically canon or not -- their acknowledgement that the character is Indian isn't surprising, since it's the most straightforward reading of what's already known about the character.
Old March 25 2014, 10:39 AM   #235
Belz...
Fleet Captain

Indeed, though how canon the comics are is anybody's guess. They also "explained" the change in the Klingons' appearance in DS9, though at the time it seemed like a joke, until ENT went back and made it canon, which I found both interesting and unnecessary.
Old March 26 2014, 01:56 AM   #236
WarpFactorZ
Captain

Belz... wrote: View Post
Indeed, though how canon the comics are is anybody's guess. They also "explained" the change in the Klingons' appearance in DS9, though at the time it seemed like a joke, until ENT went back and made it canon, which I found both interesting and unnecessary.
I'm waiting for someone to tackle Bond, and explain how he's looked different half a dozen times, culminating in a new look in which he's only starting his career as 007 almost 50 years after his first appearance.

Her Majesty's Secret Service must have some serious plastic surgery / time travel capabilities.
WarpFactorZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 26 2014, 10:17 AM   #237
Belz...
Fleet Captain

Not only that, but he went back and forth between two appearances before settling on a third.
Old March 26 2014, 10:38 AM   #238
F. King Daniel
Admiral

WarpFactorZ wrote: View Post
Belz... wrote: View Post
I'm waiting for someone to tackle Bond, and explain how he's looked different half a dozen times, culminating in a new look in which he's only starting his career as 007 almost 50 years after his first appearance.

Her Majesty's Secret Service must have some serious plastic surgery / time travel capabilities.
Although rendered moot by Skyfall, it was a longheld fanon belief that "James Bond" was a handle given to a succession of MI6 agents.
Old March 26 2014, 11:51 AM   #239
Khan 2.0
Captain

yeah but the dead wife negates that theory
Khan 2.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 26 2014, 06:52 PM   #240
JarodRussell
Vice Admiral

Khan 2.0 wrote: View Post
yeah but the dead wife negates that theory
Cover story. It happened to one 007 agent, so they incorporated it into the story of all successors.
JarodRussell is offline   Reply With Quote