RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 139,776
Posts: 5,434,386
Members: 24,840
Currently online: 511
Newest member: Reece101

TrekToday headlines

Trek Comics Sneak Peek
By: T'Bonz on Sep 23

German Volkswagen Campaign Features Trek Actors
By: T'Bonz on Sep 23

Shatner And Nimoy In Trek 3?
By: T'Bonz on Sep 23

The Art of John Alvin Book Review
By: T'Bonz on Sep 23

Episode Four of The Red Shirt Diaries
By: T'Bonz on Sep 22

Star Trek: The Compendium Review
By: T'Bonz on Sep 22

Orci Drops Rangers Project
By: T'Bonz on Sep 22

Retro Review: Image in the Sand
By: Michelle on Sep 20

Star Trek: Shadows Of Tyranny Casting Call
By: T'Bonz on Sep 19

USS Vengeance And More Starship Collection Ships
By: T'Bonz on Sep 19


Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.


Go Back   The Trek BBS > Lounges & General Chat > Miscellaneous

Miscellaneous Discussion of non-Trek topics.

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old March 23 2014, 08:00 AM   #31
GalaxyX
Rear Admiral
 
GalaxyX's Avatar
 
Location: Canada
Re: Suggestions for desktop computer?

JarodRussell wrote: View Post
Melakon wrote: View Post
I'm not looking forward to Windows 8. My dead machine was running Windows 7 which didn't give me much trouble and had 4 gig ram, though it was already 4 years old.

It will be several months before I can afford to get anything though, hopefully I can get something before summer's over.
I wish people would just stop demonizing Windows 8. I run 7 on one, and 8 on another computer. The metro interface is quickly gotten rid of, and then it's like a Windows 7 Service Pack.

There's absolutely no fucking reason at all to complain about getting Windows 8 when buying a new computer.
Honestly you don't even have to get rid of the interface. Just spend about 10 mins going thru the tutorial and you'll get it. I'm running Windows 8.1 via Bootcamp on my Mac and it's not bad. It's basically Windows 7 with an interface skin.

It does feel disjointed though, with Metro Apps trying to coincide with standard Desktop apps.

Microsoft needs to work on it so that it can resize Metro apps if you want, or at the very least add some useful options to the Start button rather than just taking you back to the Metro Tiles.

You can use 3rd party utilities like some of what Stardock offers to get around these limitations though if you *must* have the Windows 7 interface.


$500 isn't going to get you a whole lot of PC. J.Allen's link is a pretty good option, probably as good as you're going to get with that budget.
__________________
Top Gear America: Jay Leno, Adam Carolla, Tim Allen. DONE!
GalaxyX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 23 2014, 03:07 PM   #32
farmkid
Commodore
 
Re: Suggestions for desktop computer?

GalaxyX wrote: View Post
Microsoft needs to work on it so that it can resize Metro apps if you want, or at the very least add some useful options to the Start button rather than just taking you back to the Metro Tiles.
This is my biggest complaint about Windows 8, and it's a deal killer for me. When I'm working, I regularly have several programs going at once, and I'm using them all at the same time. On occasion, I even have Linux running in a virtual machine and I'm using some data analysis software there while using other programs in Windows. Having everything run full screen alone makes it much more difficult, but even worse is having everything run full screen and not have a fast way to switch between programs (task bar), or even see what else is running makes the computer virtually worthless for my work. Yes, I know there's the desktop interface, but when I tried it out a few months ago, I found that the start button only took me back to the Metro interface and really wasn't helpful at all. I kept inadvertently going back to Metro without meaning to. Also, the desktop interface was on one monitor and the Metro interface on the other. I couldn't get the desktop interface to span both monitors as I needed it to. Maybe some day I'll go back and try it again with one of the 3rd party start menu programs, but for now there's no need.
__________________
Computers are like the God of the Old Testament: lots of rules and no mercy.
farmkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 24 2014, 01:05 AM   #33
GalaxyX
Rear Admiral
 
GalaxyX's Avatar
 
Location: Canada
Re: Suggestions for desktop computer?

Yeah I think Microsoft is kind of desperate to show that they have bright fresh ideas. So they force people to adapt to the new style as if it was something "fresh and new".

I think Windows 9 will still push it out, but perhaps will be more lenient in others.
__________________
Top Gear America: Jay Leno, Adam Carolla, Tim Allen. DONE!
GalaxyX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 24 2014, 01:54 AM   #34
Random_Spock
Fleet Captain
 
Random_Spock's Avatar
 
Location: Random_Spock
View Random_Spock's Twitter Profile
Re: Suggestions for desktop computer?

GalaxyX wrote: View Post
Yeah I think Microsoft is kind of desperate to show that they have bright fresh ideas. So they force people to adapt to the new style as if it was something "fresh and new".

I think Windows 9 will still push it out, but perhaps will be more lenient in others.
Exactly. I can't stand Windows 8 for that reason... the whole forcing people to use Metro. Not everyone has a touch screen computer Microsoft . They need to iron it out in that regard.
__________________
RIP Robin, you'll be missed . Credit goes to Amblin Entertainment and TriStar Pictures for this picture of Robin, no copyright infringement intended.
Random_Spock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 24 2014, 02:12 AM   #35
Melakon
Vice Admiral
 
Melakon's Avatar
 
Location: Unmarked grave, Ekos
Re: Suggestions for desktop computer?

The $500 limit is about as high as I dare go, since my only credit card has a limit of $1000. I hate being poor, things were much easier when I actually had a disposable income. And thanks for the additional suggestions everyone.
__________________
Curly: If at first you don't succeed, keep on suckin' til you do succeed.
--Movie Maniacs (1936)
Melakon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 24 2014, 08:24 AM   #36
GalaxyX
Rear Admiral
 
GalaxyX's Avatar
 
Location: Canada
Re: Suggestions for desktop computer?

Random_Spock wrote: View Post
GalaxyX wrote: View Post
Yeah I think Microsoft is kind of desperate to show that they have bright fresh ideas. So they force people to adapt to the new style as if it was something "fresh and new".

I think Windows 9 will still push it out, but perhaps will be more lenient in others.
Exactly. I can't stand Windows 8 for that reason... the whole forcing people to use Metro. Not everyone has a touch screen computer Microsoft . They need to iron it out in that regard.
Well the problem is that they are used to being a monopoly, but the market has shifted to Apple and Android devices.

I'm typing this from my MacBook, and my phone is a Sony Xperia.

I only run Windows at home because of games (although my Mac can handle some decent games on OS X. I've been playing Bioshock Infinite at full Retina resolution with no real lag on OS X).

So Microsoft is scared of losing marketshare, and struggling to come up with something that doesn't look like they are stealing it from Apple or Google. I gotta give'em props for trying, but they should have let people switch to the old interface if they so wanted to. At work our servers are running 2008 R2, but we don't bother enabling the Aero, we just leave the classic 2000 interface, 'cause why do you need more?

I see a lot of people in the office disable the Aero in Win 7 and also use the classic interface.


Melakon wrote: View Post
The $500 limit is about as high as I dare go, since my only credit card has a limit of $1000. I hate being poor, things were much easier when I actually had a disposable income. And thanks for the additional suggestions everyone.
Why don't you consider buying a used PC from Craigslist? Get a tech savvy guy to go with you and check out computers for sale. For $500 you could potentially get a kick ass system from a couple of years ago that will have balls to do 3D work.
__________________
Top Gear America: Jay Leno, Adam Carolla, Tim Allen. DONE!
GalaxyX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 24 2014, 07:58 PM   #37
JoeZhang
Vice Admiral
 
JoeZhang's Avatar
 
Re: Suggestions for desktop computer?

Random_Spock wrote: View Post
GalaxyX wrote: View Post
Yeah I think Microsoft is kind of desperate to show that they have bright fresh ideas. So they force people to adapt to the new style as if it was something "fresh and new".

I think Windows 9 will still push it out, but perhaps will be more lenient in others.
Exactly. I can't stand Windows 8 for that reason... the whole forcing people to use Metro. Not everyone has a touch screen computer Microsoft . They need to iron it out in that regard.
Except as already been pointed out... they don't. I use windows 8, I saw the metro screen for about 30 second when I first set it up, I've never been back and it's just like an enchanced w7.
JoeZhang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 25 2014, 03:12 AM   #38
RobertVA
Fleet Captain
 
RobertVA's Avatar
 
Location: Virginia USA
Re: Suggestions for desktop computer?

farmkid wrote: View Post
GalaxyX wrote: View Post
Microsoft needs to work on it so that it can resize Metro apps if you want, or at the very least add some useful options to the Start button rather than just taking you back to the Metro Tiles.
This is my biggest complaint about Windows 8, and it's a deal killer for me. When I'm working, I regularly have several programs going at once, and I'm using them all at the same time. On occasion, I even have Linux running in a virtual machine and I'm using some data analysis software there while using other programs in Windows. Having everything run full screen alone makes it much more difficult, but even worse is having everything run full screen and not have a fast way to switch between programs (task bar), or even see what else is running makes the computer virtually worthless for my work. Yes, I know there's the desktop interface, but when I tried it out a few months ago, I found that the start button only took me back to the Metro interface and really wasn't helpful at all. I kept inadvertently going back to Metro without meaning to. Also, the desktop interface was on one monitor and the Metro interface on the other. I couldn't get the desktop interface to span both monitors as I needed it to. Maybe some day I'll go back and try it again with one of the 3rd party start menu programs, but for now there's no need.
Moving the pointer into the upper left corner of the screen then down the left edge isn't fast enough for you?

For those who aren't familiar with Windows 8 that procedure displays a list of thumbnails representing all the running full screen apps down the left side of the screen. On my laptop I just need to swipe from the left edge of the touchpad. If you left the classic desktop open it's included in the list.

From the start screen you can start to type the name of an app you want to open and search will usually display a short list containing the desired app by the time two to three characters are typed. Click the app name to open it. Works equally well with apps that require the classic desktop to open.

Last edited by RobertVA; March 25 2014 at 03:24 AM.
RobertVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 25 2014, 04:55 PM   #39
farmkid
Commodore
 
Re: Suggestions for desktop computer?

RobertVA wrote: View Post
Moving the pointer into the upper left corner of the screen then down the left edge isn't fast enough for you?

For those who aren't familiar with Windows 8 that procedure displays a list of thumbnails representing all the running full screen apps down the left side of the screen. On my laptop I just need to swipe from the left edge of the touchpad. If you left the classic desktop open it's included in the list.
It's not as fast as just clicking on the other window. If I can see part of the other window, all I have to do is click on it; that's one mouse movement and one click. In Windows 8, that's one mouse movement, a scan through several thumbnails to figure out which one is the right one, another mouse movement, and a click. When I'm doing that every minute or two, that's a problem. But that still leaves the problem that I can't see more than one program at a time. I'm frequently looking at data in one program and comparing it to data in another. I can't do that if everything runs full screen.
From the start screen you can start to type the name of an app you want to open and search will usually display a short list containing the desired app by the time two to three characters are typed. Click the app name to open it. Works equally well with apps that require the classic desktop to open.
And somehow that's better than just clicking once in the quick launch bar, or once one start button/orb and once one the menu? What if I can't quite remember what it's called, but I'll know it when I see it? Then I have to try typing several things before getting it right. Sorry, that's not better.

From what I've seen, the Metro interface is great for a tablet or for someone who uses just one program at a time, but it makes the computer practically worthless for someone who uses it the way I do.
__________________
Computers are like the God of the Old Testament: lots of rules and no mercy.
farmkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 25 2014, 06:08 PM   #40
RobertVA
Fleet Captain
 
RobertVA's Avatar
 
Location: Virginia USA
Re: Suggestions for desktop computer?

I just don't find dragging the pointer down the left edge of the screen to require that much effort. Also, any app that would run on Windows 7 or earlier would have to be run in Windows 8's desktop where you would still be able to cascade their windows.

While the "full screen" apps are usually displayed one at a time you can drag one of those thumbnails into the display to experience two apps "tiled" horizontally on the screen.

While Microsoft was probably wanting to make PC Windows function in a manner closer to the way tablets work there are some other advantages. I've noticed a tendency towards desktop applications (including Microsoft Office) using a growing percentage of screen real estate with side bars and tool bars (sometimes called "ribbons"). That leaves significantly less room for the actual document, which may be a web page, spreadsheet, data table, source code listing or photograph. In the Windows 8 apps the tool bars and menus are hidden along the edge of the screen in a manner similar to the task bar in the earlier versions of Windows when the hidden option was activated.

I don't see where the quick launch menu is significantly different from items pinned to the start menu in earlier versions of Windows or the start screen in Windows 8. The start screen in Windows 8 is a quick click in the lower left corner of the screen away, very close to where earlier Windows versions normally placed the quick launch menu. Start screen tiles can be rearranged by the user so that frequently used apps (full screen or for the classic desktop) are conveniently on the display without horizontal scrolling.
RobertVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 25 2014, 06:49 PM   #41
Melakon
Vice Admiral
 
Melakon's Avatar
 
Location: Unmarked grave, Ekos
Re: Suggestions for desktop computer?

GalaxyX wrote: View Post
Why don't you consider buying a used PC from Craigslist?
I don't like buying used goods, especially when it comes to electronics. It's bad enough that I'm having to buy used videos and buying my clothes at Goodwill. The only exceptions I make are for old books, knick-knacks, and automobiles, though I'll never own a car again.
__________________
Curly: If at first you don't succeed, keep on suckin' til you do succeed.
--Movie Maniacs (1936)
Melakon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 26 2014, 12:05 AM   #42
Sector 7
Rear Admiral
 
Sector 7's Avatar
 
Location: McCrory/Hitler's Republic of North Carolina
Send a message via AIM to Sector 7
Re: Suggestions for desktop computer?

Melakon wrote: View Post
My main machine crapped out in February with a hard drive crash, and I'm now on an older (c. 2006) HP running Windows XP and only 2 gig ram.

I'm going to have to start saving up for a new machine, and will likely wind up buying through Office Max, as they have a store close by and I usually buy computer related supplies there.

I've used HP, Asus, and Acer in the past, but have no idea what's considered a good brand these days.

Based on what the crapped out machine had, I'm going to want at least 4 gig ram and 600 gig on a hard drive. Money is a scarce commodity for me though, so it will probably have to be something around $500.

I primarily use computers for internet and 3d modeling/animation software. I do not want a laptop.

Any recommendations?
I highly recommend www.walmart.com

It is one of the best kept secrets in computing. A huge plus for me is that they let you buy the same extended warranty on their refurbished units as on their new computers. With free shipping or in-store pick up, I believe they are a good deal for desktops or laptops... especially when you are on a budget.
__________________
“When all Americans are treated as equal, no matter who they are or whom they love, we are all more free.” -Pres. Obama
"A great democracy does not make it harder to vote than to buy an assault weapon." -Pres. Clinton
Sector 7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 26 2014, 12:22 AM   #43
Melakon
Vice Admiral
 
Melakon's Avatar
 
Location: Unmarked grave, Ekos
Re: Suggestions for desktop computer?

There is a Wal-Mart up at the nearby mall, but I've not been in there in several years (Target is a few blocks closer for me since I have to walk a greater distance for Wal-Mart, and walking can get difficult for me). I may have to locate a model that I like, and then see if they have it up there.
__________________
Curly: If at first you don't succeed, keep on suckin' til you do succeed.
--Movie Maniacs (1936)
Melakon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 26 2014, 12:27 AM   #44
Sector 7
Rear Admiral
 
Sector 7's Avatar
 
Location: McCrory/Hitler's Republic of North Carolina
Send a message via AIM to Sector 7
Re: Suggestions for desktop computer?

You won't find the refurbished computers at your local WalMart. Those are strictly online. However, with free shipping to your door, it could be just what you need. The specs are in the product description.
__________________
“When all Americans are treated as equal, no matter who they are or whom they love, we are all more free.” -Pres. Obama
"A great democracy does not make it harder to vote than to buy an assault weapon." -Pres. Clinton
Sector 7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 26 2014, 12:39 AM   #45
J. Allen
Science Is Magic™
 
J. Allen's Avatar
 
Location: Equestria
Send a message via ICQ to J. Allen Send a message via AIM to J. Allen Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to J. Allen Send a message via Yahoo to J. Allen
Re: Suggestions for desktop computer?

I'm going to speak up in defense of refurb, for a moment. Having repaired thousands upon thousands of computers for a major computer company (Dell, if you're curious), I can say with complete sincerity that a refurbished system will more than likely last much longer than its "new" counterpart.

Aside from building my own PC, and my current PC which I bought for college 4 years ago, I purchase refurb. It lasts longer, its issues have already been ironed out, and you can get it cheaper than new.
__________________
"I'm Star Swirl the Bearded! Father of the amniomorphic spell?
Did you even read that book I gave you about obscure unicorn history?" - Twilight Sparkle
-=-=-=-=-=-=--=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
Brony Kingdom
J. Allen is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 01:44 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
FireFox 2+ or Internet Explorer 7+ highly recommended.