USS Vengeance And More Starship Collection Ships
By: T'Bonz on Sep 19

Trek 3 To Being Shooting Next Year
By: T'Bonz on Sep 19

Trek Messenger Bag
By: T'Bonz on Sep 18

Star Trek Live In Concert In Australia
By: T'Bonz on Sep 18

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > Enterprise

Enterprise The final frontier has a new beginning in this forum!

Old March 23 2014, 04:35 PM   #16
LOKAI of CHERON
Commodore

Location: Post-apocalyptic ruins of my once mighty Homeworld.
Re: DVD vs Bluray.

Starbreaker wrote: View Post
Blu-ray is always going to be better than DVD.
Usually, but I'd argue watching the ENT BD's (judging season's 1-3 currently) on, say, a 32" screen from a few feet away would yield minimal benefit. Still, I always advocate going for the best home video carrier available nevertheless.

Enterprise was filmed in High Definition obviously and if you get the DVDs, they're not going to be in HD.
Season's 1-3 were shot on 35mm film, from which you can strike 1080 (and above) HD masters of course. Only season 4 was shot digitally.
Old March 23 2014, 04:37 PM   #17
BillJ
Admiral

View BillJ's Twitter Profile

RandyS wrote: View Post
I will never upgrade to Blue Ray.
Which has absolutely zero to do with the question at hand. Especially considering the original poster already has a Blu-ray player and Blu-ray's. The question was about whether the substantial price difference between the two versions was worth it. From what I understand it isn't. But the price difference would absolutely be worth it if we were talking about upgrading to the TOS or TNG Blu-ray's.
Old March 23 2014, 04:45 PM   #18
Oso Blanco
Commodore

Mage wrote: View Post
My br-player is set to play everything in Native settings, meaning a dvd is not upscaled. I've seen the effect of upscaling, and sometimes it's just horrible.
On the other hand, upscaling does wonders in some cases ... that's my experience, for what it's worth.

LOKAI of CHERON wrote: View Post
Still, I always advocate going for the best home video carrier available nevertheless.
The best carrier is BluRay, without a question. But I'd rather accept inferior picture quality in trade for the unaltered version of a movie/series. See my comment about the chopped-off fade-outs on the BDs ... it's completely ruining it for me, no matter how good the picture quality might be.
Old March 23 2014, 04:46 PM   #19
Mage
Commodore

BillJ wrote: View Post
RandyS wrote: View Post
I will never upgrade to Blue Ray.
Which has absolutely zero to do with the question at hand. Especially considering the original poster already has a Blu-ray player and Blu-ray's. The question was about whether the substantial price difference between the two versions was worth it. From what I understand it isn't. But the price difference would absolutely be worth it if we were talking about upgrading to the TOS or TNG Blu-ray's.

Exactly! I have the TNG sampler BluRay, my God that's some amazing work, and that's what true remastering is. It's also the reasons why I don't buy everything I already own on bluray, since sometimes, it's only slightly better.

And like Lokai said, I have a 32" Full HD tv and Blurayplayer, so the effect won't be that amazing. Now, if it was a 40" screen, it would be a different story.
Old March 23 2014, 04:49 PM   #20
BillJ
Admiral

View BillJ's Twitter Profile

And like Lokai said, I have a 32" Full HD tv and Blurayplayer, so the effect won't be that amazing. Now, if it was a 40" screen, it would be a different story.
Even at 32" (I have both 32" and 40" sets), the TOS and TNG Blu-ray discs are simply mindblowing compared to their DVD counterparts.
Old March 23 2014, 04:49 PM   #21
Mage
Commodore

Oso Blanco wrote: View Post
On the other hand, upscaling does wonders in some cases ... that's my experience, for what it's worth.
I think that all depends on the source dvd. I once borrowed the first season of Torchwood from someone, and it looked horrible when upscaled by my brplayer. On Native, it looked fine. Avatar, same story. It's the encoding or something I guess, or perhaps wether or not it's a dual-layer dvd. I know that the LOTR Extended dvds are dual-layered, and they worked great when upscaled.

It's really not as simple as BR is always better.
Old March 23 2014, 04:51 PM   #22
Mage
Commodore

BillJ wrote: View Post
Even at 32" (I have both 32" and 40" sets), the TOS and TNG Blu-ray discs are simply mindblowing compared to their DVD counterparts.
I haven't been able to compare TNG dvd with TNG bluray, all I know is that the Bluray for TNG I saw sofar was fantastic.
Old March 23 2014, 04:51 PM   #23
LOKAI of CHERON
Commodore

The best carrier is BluRay, without a question. But I'd rather accept inferior picture quality in trade for the unaltered version of a movie/series. See my comment about the chopped-off fade-outs on the BDs ... it's completely ruining it for me, no matter how good the picture quality might be.
Oso, I must admit I haven't noticed this at all, but you've got me concerned now! Could you direct me to a particular episode and fade-out so I can compare with my DVD's?
Old March 23 2014, 05:03 PM   #24
Oso Blanco
Commodore

Oso, I must admit I haven't noticed this at all, but you've got me concerned now! Could you direct me to a particular episode and fade-out so I can compare with my DVD's?
It's hard to point out a particular example without watching the whole thing again. The first time I noticed it, I posted about it in the Enterprise BD thread. It was about the episode "Unexpected" ... at 25:34, right after Phlox told Trip that he's pregnant. It might not be significant to most people, but I found it very annoying.
Old March 23 2014, 06:59 PM   #25
LOKAI of CHERON
Commodore

It's hard to point out a particular example without watching the whole thing again. The first time I noticed it, I posted about it in the Enterprise BD thread. It was about the episode "Unexpected" ... at 25:34, right after Phlox told Trip that he's pregnant. It might not be significant to most people, but I found it very annoying.
I've just checked, and you're absolutely right - it's actually quite pronounced unfortunately. The same problem is also present on the TNG "Best Of Both Worlds" standalone BD, but not on the individual episodes in the season 3/4 BD sets - bizarre.
Old March 23 2014, 07:44 PM   #26
Mr. Adventure
Admiral

Still, I always advocate going for the best home video carrier available nevertheless.
There's been a lot of discussion online that a lot of older movies released on blu-ray are having the color grading/timing changed. Often, it seems to bring them in line with the dreaded teal and orange look.
Mr. Adventure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 23 2014, 08:34 PM   #27
Oso Blanco
Commodore

Mr. Adventure wrote: View Post
There's been a lot of discussion online that a lot of older movies released on blu-ray are having the color grading/timing changed. Often, it seems to bring them in line with the dreaded teal and orange look.
Or the blue look ... see TWOK.
Old March 23 2014, 10:05 PM   #28
Hober Mallow
Commodore

Location: The planet Terminus, site of the Encyclopedia Foundation on the periphery of the galaxy

Sorry, but I don't agree. Some older series and movies are simply upscaled to appear HD, which can sometimes result in pretty lousy quality. My br-player is set to play everything in Native settings, meaning a dvd is not upscaled. I've seen the effect of upscaling, and sometimes it's just horrible.
ENT was mastered in HD. It neither required a remaster nor upscaling. It was always already in full HD. So, yes, it's the same resolution as the TNG remaster.
Upscaling adds no new resolution, it just prevents the image from looking like total crap on an HD TV.
Old April 8 2014, 01:46 AM   #29
RAMA
Vice Admiral

The basic thing you need to know: Even though it was filmed in HD, Enteprise is only 480p on DVD. On bluray it will actually be "HD".

RAMA
Old April 13 2014, 11:07 PM   #30
MacLeod
Admiral

^480p on NTSC DVD.
On the continent of wild endeavour in the mountains of solace and solitude there stood the citadel of the time lords, the oldest and most mighty race in the universe looking down on the galaxies below sworn never to interfere only to watch.
MacLeod is online now   Reply With Quote