TV Alert: Pine On Tonight Show
By: T'Bonz on Dec 22

Retro Review: The Emperor’s New Cloak
By: Michelle on Dec 20

Star Trek Opera
By: T'Bonz on Dec 19

New Abrams Project
By: T'Bonz on Dec 18

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old March 15 2014, 08:27 PM   #1051
Christopher
Writer

Re: Power Rangers

Well, a lot of the Legendary Modes are only onscreen for a few seconds, due to the insanely rushed pacing of the past two seasons. Pink Flash got more screen time than Alien Black did last week.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 22 2014, 06:04 PM   #1052
Christopher
Writer

Well, "Spirit of the Tiger" was probably the best Megaforce/Super Megaforce episode yet -- and a fairly faithful adaptation of the Gokaiger episode it's based on. They didn't even change the name of the monster (although they left out the part that it was the "son" -- aka recycled costume -- from a Gekiranger monster that apparently wasn't used in Jungle Fury). The returning Ranger, Casey, was integrated much better into the story than Jayden and Ji were last week, and Jason Smith is one of the best actors in the PR franchise, so it was good to see him again. We even got a trace of conflict for once, with Troy insisting on the need to retain their weapons while Emma and Jake were investigating unarmed combat styles, but of course they didn't really do anything interesting with it. But it's about as close as Troy has ever come to displaying any kind of personality.

Meanwhile, over in Super Sentai, I'd been planning to watch Kakuranger next, but I noticed just in time that its YouTube playlist is missing the last seven episodes. So I decided instead to watch the earliest of the four series from that particular uploader, Choujin Sentai Jetman -- the last pre-Power Rangers Sentai, and regarded as a "masterpiece" according to RangerWiki. Apparently it pioneered the use of increased drama and conflict within the heroes, and among the villains as well. The characters are certainly much more richly drawn than the Dairanger characters two seasons later, and they're a diverse bunch -- the powers were accidentally bestowed on four random people as well as the Red Ranger, so most of them are unlikely heroes and don't fit well on the same team. Although the bulk of the emphasis is on the soapy stuff involving various unrequited loves among the team.

The villains, the Vyram, are quite interesting. They have interdimensional technology which is weird and creepy and lets them watch everything or materialize anywhere, and they confront the heroes frequently and directly. Also, the four main villains are treating the invasion of Earth as a game, a competition against one another with the prize of ruling their empire going to whoever defeats the Jetmen, and that approach helps justify some of the more convoluted and bizarre tactics that Sentai villains tend to use, like sending just one monster per week or spending more time messing with the heroes' heads than launching a mass invasion.

Anyway, I'm enjoying it quite a bit. The writing is a lot of fun even through translation, and the cast is pretty effective as well. I like the Jetman costumes and their flight powers, and even the incidental music is pretty good. (Unfortunately I can't seem to find any composer credits online.)

I suppose after Jetman I'll continue with the other complete series on that part of YouTube, Zyuranger, and see how it compares to Mighty Morphin' season 1. At first I was more interested in Sentais that were farther removed from their PR equivalents, and Jetman is interesting because it's a "pure" Sentai with no PR counterpart to color my impressions, but I am becoming curious about the source for the original PR.

Old March 23 2014, 06:21 PM   #1053
Samurai8472
Vice Admiral

Christopher wrote: View Post
I like the Jetman costumes and their flight powers, and even the incidental music is pretty good. (Unfortunately I can't seem to find any composer credits online.)
Maybe this will help

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Ib0i...hj66vvZU_0ha7Y
Samurai8472 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 23 2014, 07:24 PM   #1054
Christopher
Writer

Samurai8472 wrote: View Post
Wow, neat, thanks! I'm still curious what the composer's name and other credits are, though. What I like about this music is that the composer's style often reminds me of Ray Ellis, who did the music for most of Filmation's shows throughout the '70s as well as the '60 Spider-Man cartoon.

Old March 23 2014, 07:34 PM   #1055
Saga
Rear Admiral

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Saga Send a message via Yahoo to Saga

Jetman is pretty great. i love that it has a lot of soap opera elements.
Saga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 23 2014, 10:47 PM   #1056
Samurai8472
Vice Admiral

Samurai8472 wrote: View Post
Wow, neat, thanks! I'm still curious what the composer's name and other credits are, though. What I like about this music is that the composer's style often reminds me of Ray Ellis, who did the music for most of Filmation's shows throughout the '70s as well as the '60 Spider-Man cartoon.

Jetman theme lyrics

http://www.virtual-rotation.com/chir...i/3jetman.html

AOZORA DE AIMASHOU
Let's Meet In The Sky
Lyricist = Ando Yoshihiko
Composer = Kosugi Yasuo
Arranger = KAZZ TOYAMA
Singer = Saitoh Sayuri

Here's a bonus. Jetman theme sung live in 2006. It's a really popular event to go to

Old March 23 2014, 11:04 PM   #1057
Christopher
Writer

I gather that Jetman was one of the series that Saban considered for adaptation into MMPR. Starting out with a more tech-based season might've made MMPR turn out differently, and if nothing else it would've been fitting because it already had two female team members. But I guess I can see why they didn't go for it. There was too much conflict and solemnity among the villains, not to mention the cigarette-smoking robot, so that footage wouldn't have been as usable. Also the villains directly confronted the heroes rather often, and there were a lot of scenes of the Jetmen out of costume in the Icarus cockpit.

And I guess the mecha was cooler in Zyuranger. The dinosaur/extinct animal machines were more visually interesting, and probably made better toys, than just a bunch of different jets. Being the first Sentai with a recurring sixth Ranger also provided more interest/merchandising possibilities.

Old March 23 2014, 11:18 PM   #1058
Samurai8472
Vice Admiral

If it weren't for gatchaman(G-Force) there would probably be no Jetman either

Jetman borrows a bit from "gatchaman". Just look at the Jetman Manga

Old March 24 2014, 12:07 AM   #1059
Christopher
Writer

^Yes, I'm aware of the inspiration, thanks to the RangerWiki's article on the show.

EDIT: I've now caught the first four episodes of Zyuranger... and good grief, I think it's actually dumber than Mighty Morphin. Child astronauts? Seriously? And so far the Zyurangers have achieved the amazing feat of having less personality than their Power Ranger counterparts. I'd always thought that MMPR dumbed down the source material a great deal, but it actually seems fairly faithful in tone and style, albeit with less child endangerment. (Bandora's voice is actually somewhat similar to Barbara Goodson's Rita voice, and she actually does say "I have a headache" -- assuming the fansub was accurate and not borrowing from MMPR.)

It's odd that Super Sentai would go from such a sophisticated, dramatic season as Jetman -- which I gather was pretty successful -- to something clearly more child-oriented and simplified. It reminds me of the transition from RPM to Samurai.

Reiko Chiba sure is purty, though.

Last edited by Christopher; March 24 2014 at 04:09 AM.
Old March 24 2014, 06:23 AM   #1060
DigificWriter
Rear Admiral

I discovered something earlier tonight:
For all the flack it got, A Lion's Alliance referring to the Animarium island as Animaria has Canonical precedence from Wild Force itself.

In the flashbacks to Viktor Adler/Master Org's past in The Master's Last Stand, we see a graphic depicting the turtle-shaped Animarium island with the caption/description 'Animaria', and in those same flashbacks, Cole's parents and a reporter all use the term 'Animaria' in relation to the island itself.
Old March 24 2014, 07:17 AM   #1061
Saga
Rear Admiral

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Saga Send a message via Yahoo to Saga

It's odd that Super Sentai would go from such a sophisticated, dramatic season as Jetman -- which I gather was pretty successful -- to something clearly more child-oriented and simplified. It reminds me of the transition from RPM to Samurai.
it happens frequently. one season will be fairly serious and the next will be light and comedic.
Saga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 24 2014, 07:51 AM   #1062
Takeru
Fleet Captain

EDIT: I've now caught the first four episodes of Zyuranger... and good grief, I think it's actually dumber than Mighty Morphin.
It's not very good imo but it has some nice stuff, the entire Dragon Ranger arc is pretty good and I liked the villains more than the boring heroes. Bandora's backstory is nice and I actually felt kinda bad for her in the end.
Takeru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 24 2014, 11:45 PM   #1063
Christopher
Writer

By the way, I find it interesting that in Zyuranger, the call to transform is "Henshin da!", which literally means "It's transformation!" Or, effectively, "It's morphin' time!" Another thing that's a lot closer to the original than I expected. (The Dairangers used the word "tenshin" instead of "henshin," though it apparently had the same meaning.)

Also the Blue/TriceraRanger's Legendary Weapon is actually called a lance in the original. It always bugged me that Billy's weapon, which looked more like a pair of sais, was called a Power Lance. I always figured that was a Westernization, but it actually was called the Tricera Lance.

One silly thing I'd forgotten was how, in the shots where Daizyujin/the Megazord picks up and wields its sword, the big black plastic fists are replaced by the suit actor's much smaller hands in white gloves. That's just weird.

Old March 27 2014, 11:08 AM   #1064
DigificWriter
Rear Admiral

I'm trying to decide what to watch now after having finished Wild Force, and am torn between MMPR S1 (I'd be using a Streamlined episode guide I made that cuts it down to 48 episodes), Zeo (it's been years since I watched it), Lightspeed Rescue (I've only seen a handful of eps, so it'd be basically a 'virgin' watch-through), or Dino Thunder (I don't particularly like it, but am willing to give it another chance). Can you guys help me decide which to watch, please?
Old March 27 2014, 03:27 PM   #1065
Takeru
Fleet Captain

If you haven't seen most of Lightspeed I'd pick that, my second choice would be Zeo.
Takeru is offline   Reply With Quote