RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 139,693
Members: 24,829
Currently online: 541
Newest member: 713brianp27

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Lounges & General Chat > Miscellaneous

Miscellaneous Discussion of non-Trek topics.

Old March 22 2014, 07:13 AM   #1081
Saga
Rear Admiral

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Saga Send a message via Yahoo to Saga
Re: What are you reading?

Angry Candy by Harlan Ellison
Old March 22 2014, 10:03 AM   #1082
RJDiogenes
Idealistic Cynic and Canon Champion

^^ Ellison rocks. He's a whackjob, but he rocks.
Old March 22 2014, 04:04 PM   #1083
Maestro
Vice Admiral

The Martian by Andy Weir.

Mars mission goes afoul, 5/6 crew members escape, but one gets left behind. The story of his attempts to survive and the absolute clusterfuck that ensues when NASA discovers that he's still alive.

Very much based in science. No impulse engines to save him.
Old March 22 2014, 10:32 PM   #1084
Miss Chicken
Little three legged cat with attitude

Maestro wrote: View Post

Mars mission goes afoul, 5/6 crew members escape, but one gets left behind. The story of his attempts to survive and the absolute clusterfuck that ensues when NASA discovers that he's still alive.

This book is on my Wish List. I will be interested in your opinion of it once your have finished.

I am halfway through The Ice Limit by Douglas Preston and Lincoln Child. A very strange meteorite has been discovered on a subarctic island and a billionaire sends a team to acquire it for his museum. Very interesting so far.
Miss Chicken is online now   Reply With Quote
Old March 23 2014, 06:28 PM   #1085
Maestro
Vice Admiral

I thought it was really good. The first chunk of our hero's time on Mars is so long that I was a bit jarred when they switched to Earth's view of the situation. However, Weir wove things together pretty well. The third act was pretty rushed, and I think he could have done a better job with the Commander's remorse about having to leave a crew member behind. Overall, if I were to give it a "star" rating, it would be 4/5. Maybe even 4.5/5.

The science stuff shouldn't scare you off. I got a "C" in the astronomy course I took in college to meet my science requirement, and I recalled just enough of that to understanding the basic physics in the story.

Yeah, 4.5/5.
Old March 25 2014, 02:16 AM   #1086
Smellincoffee
Commodore

View Smellincoffee's Twitter Profile

I'll Take My Stand: the Southern Agrarians, various authors.

Oh, and The Martian is outstanding -- easily one of the funniest books I've read, but the laughs are combined with really detailed science.
DS9 CapCon #99: Major Pain for Quark
"The more they overthink the plumbing, the easier it is to stop up the drain.." - Commander Montgomery Scott.
Smellincoffee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 25 2014, 08:28 PM   #1087
Owain Taggart
Rear Admiral

Picked it up for my Birthday, but I've yet to read it, but I've heard it's very good from many people. Looking forward to diving into it
Owain Taggart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 25 2014, 10:43 PM   #1088
thestrangequark
Vice Admiral

I thought it was really good. The first chunk of our hero's time on Mars is so long that I was a bit jarred when they switched to Earth's view of the situation. However, Weir wove things together pretty well. The third act was pretty rushed, and I think he could have done a better job with the Commander's remorse about having to leave a crew member behind. Overall, if I were to give it a "star" rating, it would be 4/5. Maybe even 4.5/5.

The science stuff shouldn't scare you off. I got a "C" in the astronomy course I took in college to meet my science requirement, and I recalled just enough of that to understanding the basic physics in the story.

Yeah, 4.5/5.
I haven't been in this thread in ages and actually popped in to post about this book! I quite like it, and I especially like the science and technical aspect. It's a detailed and precise account of problem-solving, and actually reminds me a lot of two of my childhood favorites, Hatchet and My Side of the Mountain, except the wilderness is Mars.

Miss Chicken, I'd recommend it.

View my art!
thestrangequark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 27 2014, 09:11 PM   #1089
Owain Taggart
Rear Admiral

Well, finally finished The Terror by Dan Simmons last night. Took me quite awhile before I really got into it, as it starts off slow. It wasn't until I was about midway through it that I really started feeling invested in it.

Next up: The Silence of Bonaventure Arrow by Rita Laganski.
Owain Taggart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 27 2014, 09:14 PM   #1090
Enterprise is Great
Rear Admiral

Star Trek Enterprise: Tower of Babel
Old March 28 2014, 12:27 PM   #1091
mari
Captain

Still working through Looking Backward. I've been very tired lately (yay last month of pregnancy!) and I think the only reason I'm following the book at all is because I've already read it.

Wool, The Martian, and Hyperbole and a Half are on my Amazon wish list. Not sure what I'm actually going to buy, and what I might leave on the list for my mother to get for my birthday in May. I guess it depends on how much time I have to read after the kid arrives. Also that lean-in book, but since I plan on that being an ironic read, I'll probably get it from the library this weekend.
mari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 28 2014, 03:43 PM   #1092
bbailey861
Admiral

eBay for Dummies. I have bought a lot over the years but have never tried selling anything. I am considering giving it a shot.
bbailey861 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old March 29 2014, 10:16 AM   #1093
RJDiogenes
Idealistic Cynic and Canon Champion

mari wrote: View Post
(yay last month of pregnancy!)
Congratulations. Sounds like we'll have another bookworm in the world.
Old March 31 2014, 01:14 AM   #1094
Miss Chicken
Little three legged cat with attitude

Have just finished Ship Breaker by Paolo Bacigalupi. I really enjoyed it and plan to read either The Drowned Cities or The Windup Girl next month.

I have just started Hidden Moon by James Church. It is the second of the Inspector 0 series which are set in North Korea.
Miss Chicken is online now   Reply With Quote
Old March 31 2014, 06:58 PM   #1095
trekkiedane
Admiral

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to trekkiedane

Kai "the spy" wrote: View Post
Julemand wrote: View Post
Started Dan Simmons' Hyperion the other day... almost gave up when I found out it was a collection of short-stories tied loosely together, but read the first one as I found it rather entertaining in an old-school-SciFi manner. The second story was less so, but I found that I could skip most of it -so I continued reading... But after having read the first page of the third story I gave up.
I actually pity you. You're missing out on one of the greatest science fiction book series' ever.
Just to give you an idea, the first novel, being a great collection of short stories, is basically the set up for The Fall of Hyperion, and the sequel Endymion two-parter.
Took me some time, but after having dragged myself through the first two volumes and still not having read anything but a build-up to some ending that might (or not?) come in the fourth volume of this novel I am finished with it -and, sorry 'bout this, I actually pity the people who find this long-winded fantasy-novel in several volumes even remotely enjoyable

Meanwhile...
I've Read one or two more of the Revelation Space-books -Which I also didn't find very satisfying, not even if they actually did have plot-twists that were able to surprise me every now and then.

I did, however, enjoy the Manifold Trilogy.

I also enjoyed the (only a bit silly) Greg Egan novel; Quarantine.

The Reeves-Stevens' Memory Prime didn't have any big surprises in the plot, but I found it a very enjoyable read (well... they do write Star Trek very well ).

Yesterday I finished Colossus.
(The technology in the novel isn't as bad as it looked in the film!)
I think I might have read it when I was a kid, shortly after watching the film for the first time I suppose, but this time I noticed so many more interesting things; as a kid I didn't know that the year the book was released also was the year the SAGE computer network was finished ... And if anyone here have read it: did you also think the primary characters drink a bit too much whiskey? -I sit here, the day after, with a strange sense that there wasn't a page in Colossus where someone didn't gulp down a glass of Scotch. (Currently reading: The Fall of Colossus.)

What else? -Oh yeah; I did get a bit further in Hogg, which I still find a somewhat hard read... the rape-scenes really get to me in a bad way. But at least it got me started on some of Delanys SciFi. (currently reading: Nova.)