Cumberbatch To Voice Khan
By: T'Bonz on Aug 19

Shaun And Ed On Phineas and Ferb
By: T'Bonz on Aug 18

New Ships Coming From Official Starships Collection

Trek Stars Take On Ice Bucket Challenge

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Welcome to the Trek BBS! > General Trek Discussion

General Trek Discussion Trek TV and cinema subjects not related to any specific series or movie.

Old March 21 2014, 01:58 AM   #931
Kevman7987
Commander

View Kevman7987's Twitter Profile
Re: Star Trek: Starships Model/Magazine Subscription

Kpnuts wrote: View Post
Anyway given it's quite a comparatively short/wide design, the model should be quite large Unlike the Excelsior which looks tiny thanks to the elongated design.
I'm hoping that they tried to get it 1:1 scaled to the Enterprise D model. Same sized saucers.
Old March 21 2014, 04:32 AM   #932
mtblillie
Commander

137th Gebirg wrote: View Post
Yes it does. Definitely looks like the Bonchune-type CG version.
I was hoping it would be the original studio version, I kinda felt like the CGI designers got lazy and rearranged the Galaxy CGI ship rather than creating an accurate representation. In fact there were a ton of inaccuracies in the DS9 CGI models. To be fair, if Eaglemoss uses CGI models rather than studio, it makes sense to use the Bonchune variant, but they used the correct Defiant, so I thought maybe they would do the same here.
Old March 21 2014, 02:23 PM   #933
trekker670
Captain

Headed to Australia
trekker670 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 21 2014, 02:28 PM   #934
Eliczo
Lieutenant Junior Grade

I subscribed til issue 13, ordered issues 14 & 15 seperately as I told myself I didn't want all the releases, then looking at the next 10 or so to come, there's only the Xindi ship I'm not keen on, everything else looks good. Hmm might subscribe again. Do kinda regret ordering the 2 online, as people have said here would have been better to order on the phone.
Eliczo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old March 21 2014, 03:50 PM   #935
137th Gebirg
Rear Admiral

Ethros wrote: View Post
I do like the Nebula class, but to be fair isn't it really just the TNG version of a Miranda class? ie in terms of its basic design
I suppose that's true, as far as the under-slung nacelles are concerned, but the Miranda never had a secondary hull like the Nebula does. I suspect a more closely-tied analogy would be either the Akira or the Centaur (at least, as far as canonical vessels go), neither with secondary hulls, the former also possessing a weapons pod on a rollbar and the latter actually using a Miranda-style weapons pod and rollbar, doubling as connecting pylons.
Old March 21 2014, 06:02 PM   #936
Ethros
Vice Admiral

True, but I just meant in terms of they both have the same saucer section as the Enterprise at the time. And the same nacelles too, just underneath rather than sticking out of a drive section
Ethros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 21 2014, 07:07 PM   #937
Kpnuts
Commodore

I've just watched Equinox and realised just how ugly, lazily and unimaginatively designed that ship is. Then thinking back to the Prometheus and Dauntless ships that are also lazy.

Personally I prefer ships like the Akira, Miranda, Nebula ships that have their own style rather than copies of the standard Enterprise geometry.
Kpnuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 21 2014, 07:28 PM   #938
mythme
Commodore

I've just watched Equinox and realised just how ugly, lazily and unimaginatively designed that ship is. Then thinking back to the Prometheus and Dauntless ships that are also lazy.

Using the "Nova-class" was a lazy move in the first place. The design was just created for the DS9 tech manual to be the systems testbed ship for the Defiant class. Somebody just went "hey, here's a ship we can use" and made it into the Nova class.

The Prometheus looks a lot like the first Intrepid class prototype model with its arrow-head like saucer. The Dauntless just seems like they tweeked the Prometheus primary hull mesh and tucked some nacelles underneath. One of my least favorite designs. Good thing it never truly existed.

Last edited by mythme; March 21 2014 at 07:55 PM.
mythme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 21 2014, 08:34 PM   #939
Toxteth O´Grady
Captain

I was never really impressed with any of the Starfleet ships they made for Voyager, besides Voyager itself. And since they were so far from Federation space and seeing another Federation vessel was so rare, it should've been a big moment when one was finally shown, but those moments were really just...blah.

I will give them credit for making Equinox and Prometheus new classes instead of just rehashing Excelsior or Miranda for the umpteenth time.
Toxteth O´Grady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 21 2014, 09:22 PM   #940
Markonian
Captain

The Nova-, Prometheus- and Dauntless-classes are among my all-time favourite starship designs. Beauty does lie and the eye of the beholder.
Old March 21 2014, 09:29 PM   #941
Toxteth O´Grady
Captain

Markonian wrote: View Post
The Nova-, Prometheus- and Dauntless-classes are among my all-time favourite starship designs. Beauty does lie and the eye of the beholder.
Apparently!

One design on Voyager that I did like was the Relativity. I'm holding out hope that Eaglemoss eventually gets to it. In fact, I loved everything about the 29th century version of Starfleet. For only being seen once, the uniforms were very impressive to me and I liked the different division colors they used. I wouldn't mind seeing a Star Trek series about a timeship from that era.
Old March 21 2014, 11:11 PM   #942
Kpnuts
Commodore

Markonian wrote: View Post
Fair enough. I quite like the Prometheus, I just think all three have such standard, lazy shapes. Oh and the Nova is the definition of fugly and badly proportioned (IMO :P)

Toxteth O´Grady wrote: View Post
One design on Voyager that I did like was the Relativity. I'm holding out hope that Eaglemoss eventually gets to it. In fact, I loved everything about the 29th century version of Starfleet. For only being seen once, the uniforms were very impressive to me and I liked the different division colors they used. I wouldn't mind seeing a Star Trek series about a timeship from that era.
I think it's on the provisional list of 70 Eaglemoss put out. I imagine it will be made eventually, hopefully with the changeable colouring depending on the angle you look at it (can't think of the term for that)
Kpnuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 21 2014, 11:23 PM   #943
Toxteth O´Grady
Captain

I think it's on the provisional list of 70 Eaglemoss put out. I imagine it will be made eventually, hopefully with the changeable colouring depending on the angle you look at it (can't think of the term for that)
That would be impressive if it did have that, but I'm not counting on it.

My opinion of the Nova, Dauntless and Prometheus may change once I have the models. My memory of those ships, though, was that they were bland.
Old March 21 2014, 11:52 PM   #944
Dimesdan
Rear Admiral

Location: The United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland
Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Dimesdan

The Dauntless? As in the fake ship from Hope and Fear?

I'm on twitter now. @DimesDaniel
Dimesdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 21 2014, 11:57 PM   #945
Toxteth O´Grady
Captain

Yep!