TV Alert: Pine On Tonight Show
By: T'Bonz on Dec 22

Retro Review: The Emperor’s New Cloak
By: Michelle on Dec 20

Star Trek Opera
By: T'Bonz on Dec 19

New Abrams Project
By: T'Bonz on Dec 18

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > Star Trek - Original Series

Star Trek - Original Series The one that started it all...

Old March 21 2014, 03:02 AM   #46
Merry Christmas
Vice Admiral

Re: Why was Sulu played off as a normal person but Chekov as a caricat

Shawnster wrote: View Post
George Takei, a Japanese American actor, requested to not play a stereotype or caricature of a member of his own ethnicity.
Sulu was created to be "Pan-Asian" so that did play to Sulu not being ethnic Japanese ... until they killed that idea in the movies by giving the character a Japanese first name.

urbandefault wrote: View Post
Speaking of caricatures, Raj's dad is Babu from Seinfeld.
Biggest caricature in TBBT would be Sheldon's mother Mary Cooper, talk about painting a character with a wide brush!!

Nerys Myk wrote: View Post
I was under the impression Koenig's parents were Russian Jews. Or does that not count as being "Russian'?
I thought that was Leonard Nimoy's family history, not Koenig's.

Merry Christmas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 21 2014, 03:43 AM   #47
Santa Kang
Fleet Admiral

T'Girl wrote: View Post

I was under the impression Koenig's parents were Russian Jews. Or does that not count as being "Russian'?
They're both the children of Jewish Russian immigrants.
Old March 21 2014, 03:54 AM   #48
The Old Building & Loan
Vice Admiral

The Pravda story always sounded like BS to me. I doubt that a show that nobody in America was watching at the time was on the Soviet Union's radar.
Old March 21 2014, 04:48 AM   #49
LMFAOschwarz
Fleet Captain

Sulu was created to be "Pan-Asian" so that did play to Sulu not being ethnic Japanese ... until they killed that idea in the movies by giving the character a Japanese first name.
I didn't really care for how that worked out, the same with "Nyota" Uhura. For years and years, they were Sulu and Uhura. Now with first names, I see them popping up in all kinds of productions. It reminds me of Hawkman comic books in the 80's. He reveals his Carter Hall identity, and all of a sudden his mask kept getting knocked off in battles, now that his identity is conveniently known, of course!
LMFAOschwarz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 21 2014, 05:17 AM   #50
Timewalker
Cat-lovin', Star Trekkin' Time Lady

LMFAOschwarz wrote: View Post
I didn't really care for how that worked out, the same with "Nyota" Uhura. For years and years, they were Sulu and Uhura. Now with first names, I see them popping up in all kinds of productions. It reminds me of Hawkman comic books in the 80's. He reveals his Carter Hall identity, and all of a sudden his mask kept getting knocked off in battles, now that his identity is conveniently known, of course!
The name "Nyota" floated around fandom for decades before being made official. "Hikaru" was first used in Vonda McIntyre's novel The Entropy Effect.

For some great Original Series fanfic, check out the Valjiir Continuum!
Timewalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 21 2014, 05:50 AM   #51
BigKrampus
Rear Admiral

Hikaru Sulu's first name was revealed in the original film franchise. And Sulu was not created to be "pan-Asian" that I'm aware of; he was created to be an American -- in TVH I believe they specify from San Francisco -- who happened to be of Asian ancestry and otherwise was not Asian at all, more of a Western-style Renaissance Man. (Hence the character's hobbyist enthusiasms.)

Timewalker is right, Uhura had her first name unofficially in fandom for many, many years before it became canon. That feels right and natural: as long as I've known the character, I always thought of her as Nyota Uhura.
Old March 21 2014, 07:25 AM   #52
Olive, the Other Reindeer
Vice Admiral

Geoffrey Mandel's U.S.S. Enterprise Officer's Manual, published in 1980, gives Sulu's first name as Itaka and his birthplace as Tokyo.

But then, it also says Spock's "other" name is Xtmprszntwlfd.
Old March 21 2014, 07:48 AM   #53
ZapBrannigan
Fleet Captain

BigJake wrote: View Post
Sulu was not created to be "pan-Asian" that I'm aware of; he was created to be an American -- in TVH I believe they specify from San Francisco -- who happened to be of Asian ancestry and otherwise was not Asian at all, more of a Western-style Renaissance Man. (Hence the character's hobbyist enthusiasms.)

You could say the characters were created for a 1960s audience, and in Sulu's case retconned for the '80s and on.

I'm at work now, but I think The Making of Star Trek states that Sulu is half Japanese and half Chinese. I don't recall it saying he's originally an American, but we can see he is completely assimilated to the U.S., so it adds up the same. Post-recon, he is just Japanese.

George Takei said in recent years somewhere that he was fine with his character being named after the Sulu Sea, even though it's not a Japanese surname, because "a sea touches all shores."
ZapBrannigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 21 2014, 02:41 PM   #54
Olive, the Other Reindeer
Vice Admiral

ZapBrannigan wrote: View Post
I'm at work now, but I think The Making of Star Trek states that Sulu is half Japanese and half Chinese. I don't recall it saying he's originally an American, but we can see he is completely assimilated to the U.S., so it adds up the same. Post-recon, he is just Japanese.
TMOST says this:
Although of mixed Oriental and Filipino background, Sulu's cultural heritage is mainly Japanese, and he finds himself drawn to the samurai concept as a philosophy. Despite this, he is a rather "hip" character and has an excellent sense of humor.
Exqueeze me . . . samurai don't have a sense of humor?

Old March 21 2014, 04:27 PM   #55
Bixby
Commander

Personally, I find both first name choices for Sulu and Uhura to be incredibly clunky. Heck, even Tiberius as Kirk's middle name has never worked for me.

As for Sulu's character development, that seemed to stall after the first season. He was always great visually-speaking in all bridge scenes, but when you compare him with Scotty as far as juicy character scenes, Scotty wins handily. In fact, Sulu's best outing in seasons 2 and 3 is probably in ''Mirror, mirror'', and that isn't even the ''real'' Sulu...
Bixby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 21 2014, 07:35 PM   #56
mb22
Lieutenant Commander

They're both the children of Jewish Russian immigrants.
And so was Shatner...
mb22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 21 2014, 08:59 PM   #57
mb22
Lieutenant Commander

Just checked -- Shatner's father was born in Austria, not Russia.
mb22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 21 2014, 09:37 PM   #58
Harvey
Admiral

Timewalker wrote: View Post
Alrik wrote: View Post
Timewalker wrote: View Post
So the "Pravda story" is just a story?
According to GR it was just a story. I did some digging to see if I could find the story I remembered from long ago. No luck. But I did find GR's side of that.

First off, I guess I miss-remembered the part about the suits wanting a Davy Jones knock-off. That was all GR, but his reason for making Chekov Russian were pretty much spot on. And GR was adamant that he had written to Pravda first letting them know that Chekov was to be introduced. It was NBC that said Chekov was in response to the Pravda article.
Was there really an article in Pravda lamenting the lack of a Russian character in Star Trek? Or is that just part of the behind-the-scenes mythos we've been hearing about these past nearly 5 decades? That is what I would appreciate knowing, please.
There's a Snopes article on this topic which is worth reading. Can't link to it on my phone, but it's not hard to find.

My blog: Star Trek Fact Check.
Harvey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 21 2014, 10:02 PM   #59
urbandefault
Captain

urbandefault wrote: View Post
Speaking of caricatures, Raj's dad is Babu from Seinfeld.
Biggest caricature in TBBT would be Sheldon's mother Mary Cooper, talk about painting a character with a wide brush!!
I'm from that general area, so I'm used to seeing that "wide brush." Most times it doesn't even register.

scotpens wrote: View Post
Geoffrey Mandel's U.S.S. Enterprise Officer's Manual, published in 1980, gives Sulu's first name as Itaka and his birthplace as Tokyo.

Rewatching ST09 the other day, in the bridge fight scene where Sarek exclaims, "SPOCK!" ... it occurred to me that the next scene with the two in the transporter room could gone something like this:

SAREK: Speak your mind, Spock.
SPOCK: That would be unwise.
SAREK: What is necessary is never unwise.
SPOCK: Father ... why have you never called me by my first name?
SAREK: I cannot pronounce it.

Old March 21 2014, 11:50 PM   #60
TREK_GOD_1
Fleet Captain

scotpens wrote: View Post

Wtf, indeed.

About the motive for creating Chekov, I think the Davy Jones idea is the most reasonable. The Monkees originally aired on NBC beginning in the fall of 1966--a year before the introduction of Chekov in TOS season 2, so it seems Monkee-mania was so potent, NBC (and/or GR) desired that same kind of feel pushed into TOS (after watching the tone of season 1), in a way that would fit. He was not singing, or getting into romance of the week, but just his presence (character age factor, wig, etc.) had the potential to draw in younger, female viewers.

Aside from being inexperienced, Chekov often seemed like he was being groomed for bigger things, since he worked with Spock more than anyone else, and appeared to have the Vulcan's respect. That alone takes him out of the strict caricature accusation, as comic relief of that kind cannot be well merged into a serious production.

Last edited by TREK_GOD_1; March 22 2014 at 12:02 AM.
TREK_GOD_1 is offline   Reply With Quote