Red Shirt Diaries Episode Three
By: T'Bonz on Sep 15

Made Out Of Mudd Photonovel

Takei Has Growth Removed

Retro Review: Tears of the Prophets
By: Michelle on Sep 12

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old March 20 2014, 08:09 AM   #1951
Flying Spaghetti Monster
Vice Admiral

Re: ‘Superman & Batman’ movie will follow ‘Man of Steel’

There are rumors flying tonight that the new film will consider Nolan's films are loosely canon.. except for Talia's involvement in TDKR
Old March 20 2014, 08:52 AM   #1952
Skywalker
Admiral

I vote that they just ignore TDKR entirely.
Skywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 20 2014, 10:38 AM   #1953
Mach5
Rear Admiral

Skywalker wrote: View Post
I vote that they just ignore TDKR entirely.
I vote that they ignore Man of Steel. And dump Superman. :P
Old March 20 2014, 09:18 PM   #1954
JarodRussell
Vice Admiral

"Loosely canon" is like "a bit pregnant". If you cherrypick stuff, you can't say that it's canon.
JarodRussell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 20 2014, 10:11 PM   #1955
Captaindemotion
Vice Admiral

A bit like how Superman Returns regarded the first two Reeve films as 'loosely canon'?
Old March 20 2014, 10:13 PM   #1956
Out Of My Vulcan Mind
Vice Admiral

Flying Spaghetti Monster wrote: View Post
There are rumors flying tonight that the new film will consider Nolan's films are loosely canon.. except for Talia's involvement in TDKR
The rumors probably aren't true.
Old March 20 2014, 10:32 PM   #1957
JarodRussell
Vice Admiral

Captaindemotion wrote: View Post
A bit like how Superman Returns regarded the first two Reeve films as 'loosely canon'?
But if you think about it, effectively that was nonsense. So they liked the story idea that Superman shagged Lois before he killed Zod and then left Earth (which was already canonically wrong because he shagged her in human form). And they used Marlon Brando footage. But that was it. That didn't make SM1, SM2 and SMR part of the same canon.
Old March 20 2014, 10:48 PM   #1958
Corran Horn
Vice Admiral

JarodRussell wrote: View Post
But if you think about it, effectively that was nonsense. So they liked the story idea that Superman shagged Lois before he killed Zod and then left Earth (which was already canonically wrong because he shagged her in human form). And they used Marlon Brando footage. But that was it. That didn't make SM1, SM2 and SMR part of the same canon.
Something in the way the Spacey Luthor acted seemed like he had been there before when they got to the Fortress.
Old March 20 2014, 10:51 PM   #1959
JarodRussell
Vice Admiral

Corran Horn wrote: View Post
JarodRussell wrote: View Post
Something in the way the Spacey Luthor acted seemed like he had been there before when they got to the Fortress.
That's also just a generic plot element.

If the next film mentions the Joker killed Batman's parents, is it suddenly within the same canon as Keaton-Batman?
Old March 20 2014, 11:19 PM   #1960
urbandefault
Captain

I remember reading when Superman Returns came out, that they were going for a continuation of the story after 1 & 2 (disregarding 3 & 4), and I see a lot of continuity in that regard.

No one could accuse me of being a canon freak, but aside from the visual differences SR looks to me like it's a direct continuation of the original story.
Old March 20 2014, 11:40 PM   #1961
Captaindemotion
Vice Admiral

I think it's hard to envisage Ben Affleck and Jeremy Irons as being the same iterations of Bale's and Caine's characters, even loosely.

When Goyer and Nolan were involved, I could've imagined this take on Batman being very similar to the Nolanverse, but they don't seem to have much involvement here. Also, we keep hearing that the Batmobile and Bat costume will be somewhat different to those from the last trilogy. So while all of that could change, I don't expect there to be even a loose continuity between this Batman and Baleman.
Old March 21 2014, 12:12 AM   #1962
JD
Admiral

Me neither. It would be weird for them to make all of those changes, and try to pass them off as the same characters. Not to mention from the things we'd been hearing earlier, I was under the impression that Affleck Batman was supposed to be older and more experienced then Bale's, and unless they try to say that there was another significant time jump between this and DKR or TDK, I just don't see that working.
Old March 21 2014, 12:18 AM   #1963
urbandefault
Captain

I really would prefer that they/we ignore the Nolan films this go round, and let Affleck do his own thing.

That said, I was not excited to hear about Affleck being cast, but people I'm acquainted with who have worked with him say that he deserves the chance to make or break on his own. I will defer.
Old March 21 2014, 01:00 AM   #1964
The Old Mixer
Vice Admiral

All it means is that they'll draw upon elements of the recent popular movie version to inform this version's backstory rather than reinvent the wheel. I wouldn't take what is or isn't "CANON" too seriously.
Old March 21 2014, 01:02 AM   #1965
Christopher
Writer

I've seen various cases of one iteration of a franchise being deliberately vague about whether or not it connected to a previous version -- it didn't actually fit, but it suggested enough of the look and feel of the other to fool the casual viewer. For instance, the current Avengers Assemble cartoon, despite being set in the same continuity as the Ultimate Spider-Man cartoon (and the later Hulk and the Agents of SMASH), is constantly aping elements of the Avengers movie and trying to pass itself off as a continuation -- while also pretending to be similar enough to the earlier Avengers: Earth's Mightiest Heroes cartoon that people wanting or expecting a sequel to that will believe it is if they don't look too closely.

A similar case was the '90s Spider-Man Unlimited, which initially gave the impression of being a rough sequel series to the previous animated Spider-Man (even quoting its theme music briefly in the premiere episode), but eventually diverged enough that it was clearly unconnected. And then there's The Incredible Hulk -- now we recognize that it's part of the MCU and a reboot from the Ang Lee Hulk film, but at the time, since it wasn't a new origin story, it seemed like a loose sequel to a lot of people.

So I wouldn't be surprised if they went that route -- not actually in the Nolanverse, but implying a similar enough backstory that the casual viewer might think it is.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote