Official Starships Collection Update
By: T'Bonz on Dec 15

Retro Review: Prodigal Daughter
By: Michelle on Dec 13

Sindicate Lager To Debut In The US Next Week
By: T'Bonz on Dec 12

Rumor Mill: Saldana Gives Birth
By: T'Bonz on Dec 12

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old March 17 2014, 01:00 AM   #241
Christopher
Writer

Re: "Amazing Spider-man 2" discussion

JD wrote: View Post
Not to surprised, very few directors who didn't create a franchise seem to direct more than 3 movies in a series.
Well, David Yates springs to mind, since he did the last 4 Harry Potter movies -- although technically those were only 3 distinct stories.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 17 2014, 07:58 AM   #242
JD
Admiral

It was four. I couldn't remember if it was three or four. I think the guy who directed the last few Twilight movies might have done four too, but I'm not sure.
That's why I made sure to say very few, not none, I knew there had to be at least a couple that people could come up with.
I can understand though, spending years working on one movie after another in the same series can probably burn you out.
Old March 17 2014, 10:58 AM   #243
trekkiebaggio
Vice Admiral

View trekkiebaggio's Twitter Profile

Caretaker wrote: View Post
As long as Sony doesn't feel the need to reboot after the third one this time.
It probably depends on how well the Sinister Six and Venom spin-offs do.

Man of Yesterday - My blog: movie, books and board game reviews.
trekkiebaggio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 17 2014, 09:44 PM   #244
Captain Craig
Vice Admiral

trekkiebaggio wrote: View Post
Caretaker wrote: View Post
As long as Sony doesn't feel the need to reboot after the third one this time.
It probably depends on how well the Sinister Six and Venom spin-offs do.
I know they've stated they want to do those, but I'll believe them like I will when the Superman Returns and GL announced sequels were mentioned.

I'm frankly not positive TASM2 is going to have domestic legs. Likely to open fairly well but I'm not any more optimistic about this than I was the first one, less so actually.
Captain Craig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 20 2014, 04:15 AM   #245
Flying Spaghetti Monster
Vice Admiral

They say this is the final trailer. I hope so. There have been more trailers and clips for this film than anything I can remember.

At least we all got to see how stupid Rhino looks. And Goblin. And Electro. Dynamo from Running Man looked cooler than him

Old March 20 2014, 04:35 AM   #246
Christopher
Writer

Few things are as stupid-looking as Electro's original costume design in the comics. As I had Spidey characterize his mask in my novel Drowned in Thunder: "I'm a happy starfish, but I'm not so good with scissors."

Old March 20 2014, 07:05 AM   #247
Anwar
Vice Admiral

The thing about Electro is that, really, this guy should be a massive threat in Marvel with his powers. But for whatever reason he's portrayed as this D-List buffoon.

It was lampshaded once when Loki took over Electro's body and proceeded to kick all kinds of @$$ while mentioning how Electro is stupid enough to waste his power robbing banks.
Anwar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 20 2014, 10:11 AM   #248
Turtletrekker
Vice Admiral

You can't be an A-list villain when you are a D-list buffoon. There was something similar done with Iceman, wasn't there? (Not that I think Iceman is a buffoon) Where someone else had to show him how powerful he really was?

Last edited by Turtletrekker; March 20 2014 at 09:14 PM.
Turtletrekker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 20 2014, 02:32 PM   #249
Christopher
Writer

Anwar wrote: View Post
The thing about Electro is that, really, this guy should be a massive threat in Marvel with his powers. But for whatever reason he's portrayed as this D-List buffoon.

It was lampshaded once when Loki took over Electro's body and proceeded to kick all kinds of @$$ while mentioning how Electro is stupid enough to waste his power robbing banks.
That comes up in my novel too -- something happens to Electro to make him a more potent threat than he usually is. He has the same powers he always has, but starts applying them in ways that wouldn't normally have occurred to him.

Old March 20 2014, 04:35 PM   #250
Zaku
Captain

I think Graviton is the worst offender....
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Graviton_(comics)
Zaku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 20 2014, 06:21 PM   #251
Samurai8472
Vice Admiral

The Spider-man novel I have from 2004 really tried to make his powers really deadly

He could vaporize all of the water around New York

His electric blasts would give off massive amounts of heat.

He could manipulate the electric signals in people to give them seizure

Wreck havok on the electrical systems of SHIELD floating bath tubs.

Spider-man keeps saying that at one time a bucket of water would do the trick but he's had a power up
Samurai8472 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 20 2014, 07:11 PM   #252
Anwar
Vice Admiral

It was something the 90s FOX cartoon showed, their Electro was a world-class threat who took out SHIELD and nearly took over the world (though to be fair I'm sure energy absorbers or Psychics like Xavier would've stopped him easily) and it took being sucked into some extradimensional vortex to stop him.
Anwar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 20 2014, 07:53 PM   #253
Captain Craig
Vice Admiral

I think Acts of Vengeance was the one time I recall Graviton being used to a closer approximation of his actual potential.

Yeah, when Loki took over Electro as well. Electro is like having Ronnie Raymond as Firestorm. You need the Professor to even remotely be able to allow the character to achieve what he can. Firestorm in theory could be a top 5 power class but he's not.

Electro is kinda the same thing. I still hate the black rubber suit and blue skin though.
I get the electric zap mask is silly. It was a product of it's day but something a bit more of an homage could've been done.
Captain Craig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 20 2014, 08:18 PM   #254
Christopher
Writer

It was something the 90s FOX cartoon showed, their Electro was a world-class threat who took out SHIELD and nearly took over the world...
Although their version of Electro wasn't Max Dillon, he was the Red Skull's son.

Old March 20 2014, 08:42 PM   #255
Samurai8472
Vice Admiral

Captain Craig wrote: View Post
I think Acts of Vengeance was the one time I recall Graviton being used to a closer approximation of his actual potential.
He was a serious threat in the Avengers cartoon

Samurai8472 is offline   Reply With Quote