RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 139,686
Members: 24,830
Currently online: 445
Newest member: Old Man 51

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies XI+

Star Trek Movies XI+ Discuss J.J. Abrams' rebooted Star Trek here.

Old March 16 2014, 05:51 PM   #196
Pauln6
Rear Admiral

Re: Khan's Into Darkness Appearance change finally explained

JarodRussell wrote: View Post
Hober Mallow wrote: View Post
Anyway...

I'm too lazy to sift through the thread, but since Khan's appearance was finally explained, do the comics also go out of their way to come up with silly explanations for why everyone's faces changed since TOS.
It was never about a face change, it was about a change of ethnicy. That's why there is an explanation given for how Khan Noonien Singh became a pale Brit.
They came up with a plausible explanation for Khan's change of ethnicity in the comic but let's see if they can do the same for Lt Zahra. Possibly something along the lines that she was the best drawing for the role?

Other Worlds Role Playing Game
http://rpg.drivethrustuff.com/produc...ducts_id=97631
Pauln6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 17 2014, 03:19 AM   #197
BigJake
Rear Admiral

The Stig wrote: View Post
And it was answered with vitriol, wailing and gnashing of teeth from Trek purists everywhere.
I think this is putting it a tad melodramatically. No faction is without its nutters, but there are perfectly valid criticisms to be had of both instalments of NuTrek and it's more than a little lazy to try to dismiss it all as "vitriol, wailing and gnashing of teeth."

Besides, AFAICS a great many of the Trek "purists" by and large went out of their way to give NuTrek a fair shake, especially on the release of ST09 and to a great extent still today. Maybe too far, actually; some of them seem to have since become exactly the kind of irrational, rage-a-holic fanatics as partisans of NuTrek that they routinely complain about its detractors supposedly being.
Old March 17 2014, 04:07 AM   #198
Hober Mallow
Commodore

Location: The planet Terminus, site of the Encyclopedia Foundation on the periphery of the galaxy

BigJake wrote: View Post
Besides, AFAICS a great many of the Trek "purists" by and large went out of their way to give NuTrek a fair shake, especially on the release of ST09 and to a great extent still today.
I really wanted to like 09. I was so happy we were finally getting a reboot. I was especially happy we weren't getting another TNG crap-tacular (and I'm a TNG fan) and really happy we weren't getting the "Star Trek: The Beginning" or any other pointless spinoff no one cares about. I gave 09 a chance, it just wasn't my cup of Earl Grey.

I eagerly await the next reboot.
Old March 17 2014, 02:12 PM   #199
The Stig
Rear Admiral

The Stig wrote: View Post
And it was answered with vitriol, wailing and gnashing of teeth from Trek purists everywhere.
I think this is putting it a tad melodramatically. No faction is without its nutters, but there are perfectly valid criticisms to be had of both instalments of NuTrek and it's more than a little lazy to try to dismiss it all as "vitriol, wailing and gnashing of teeth."
Nah. I'm underselling it. The only fan reaction worse than the ridiculous display of whinging that Abrams Trek got was the complete meltdown displayed by fans of oldBSG when RDM actually made something out of their Star Wars knockoff.

Besides, AFAICS a great many of the Trek "purists" by and large went out of their way to give NuTrek a fair shake, especially on the release of ST09 and to a great extent still today. Maybe too far, actually; some of them seem to have since become exactly the kind of irrational, rage-a-holic fanatics as partisans of NuTrek that they routinely complain about its detractors supposedly being.
You're funny and, I have to assume, being intentionally obtuse. Even the most casual perusal of the entire TrekBBS would tell a far different tale about the discourse about Abrams' Trek.

All we know is, he's called The Stig.
The Stig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 17 2014, 02:33 PM   #200
BigJake
Rear Admiral

^ Who's being "intentionally obtuse"? Whatever epic battles may have been joined on TrekBBS, one has to assume you're aware there is a world and even Trek fandom beyond it.

And the most typical cross-section of reaction to ST09 that we saw out there in that world was like this: immense amounts of gushing from most fans with one or two occasional holdouts, and generally positive reviews even from people who claimed to have hated the idea of reboot. So, no, I think you are vastly over-selling (and perhaps considerably over-sensitive to) whatever "display of whinging" there was as a proportion of the actual fan response.

And don't be so hard on OldBSG fans. Both of those guys are great.
Old March 18 2014, 12:27 AM   #201
JarodRussell
Vice Admiral

Pauln6 wrote: View Post
Hober Mallow wrote: View Post
Anyway...

I'm too lazy to sift through the thread, but since Khan's appearance was finally explained, do the comics also go out of their way to come up with silly explanations for why everyone's faces changed since TOS.
It was never about a face change, it was about a change of ethnicy. That's why there is an explanation given for how Khan Noonien Singh became a pale Brit.
They came up with a plausible explanation for Khan's change of ethnicity in the comic but let's see if they can do the same for Lt Zahra. Possibly something along the lines that she was the best drawing for the role?

I wished they would have cast a white Uhura, because that actress was the “best suited for the role“ or some other explanation based on talent. Just to see the discussion.
Yep.
JarodRussell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 19 2014, 05:26 AM   #202
mlk
Ensign

JD5000 wrote: View Post
Can we talk about why there aren't any ginger Klingons now? I'm feeling oppressed.
I bet they killed off all their gingers
mlk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 19 2014, 06:00 AM   #203
Set Harth
Rear Admiral

Yeah, Klingons are supposed to have honor.
Old March 19 2014, 06:21 AM   #204
CommishSleer
Fleet Captain

View CommishSleer's Twitter Profile

For every one 'rage-a-holic fanatic' I'll give you 10 Abrams has 'destroyed Star Trek (and my childhood ).

I might have said the same thing about Berman Trek when it came out. Yes I may have thought Berman destroyed Star Trek all those years ago - at least a little bit. Although my childhood was always intact as I had novels and VHS tapes
CommishSleer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old March 19 2014, 06:26 AM   #205
BigJake
Rear Admiral

CommishSleer wrote: View Post
For every one 'rage-a-holic fanatic' I'll give you 10 Abrams has 'destroyed Star Trek (and my childhood ).
I'm not sure about that at all, actually. The latter are certainly out there, but AFAICT the former have a pronounced tendency to conflate any critic or skeptic of NuTrek with that mentality and thence to imagine its being far more widespread than it actually is.

Last edited by BigJake; March 19 2014 at 06:28 AM. Reason: This post was edited to include the word "thence." Because of reasons.
BigJake is online now   Reply With Quote
Old March 19 2014, 10:22 AM   #206
CommishSleer
Fleet Captain

View CommishSleer's Twitter Profile

I'm not sure about that at all, actually. The latter are certainly out there, but AFAICT the former have a pronounced tendency to conflate any critic or skeptic of NuTrek with that mentality and thence to imagine its being far more widespread than it actually is.
The same could be said of either side. Just because for example you say that you don't care/mind about Khan's ethnicity doesn't mean you're a rage-a-holic Abrams fanatic.
CommishSleer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old March 20 2014, 03:38 AM   #207
BigJake
Rear Admiral

The same could be said of either side.
In theory, yes; in practice I don't see "either side" behaving that way equally often, at least not here on these boards. (Although I do note this dynamic seems to be changing for the better overall.)
Old March 20 2014, 10:02 AM   #208
Belz...
Fleet Captain

It was never about a face change, it was about a change of ethnicy.
I'm not sure Khan's ethnicity was ever established clearly anyway.
Old March 20 2014, 06:40 PM   #209
M'Sharak
Definitely Herbert. Maybe.

Belz... wrote: View Post
It was vague, at best, and haphazardly done. Khan's entire back-story in "Space Seed" consisted of not much more than a couple of lines - supposition and broad general statement, mostly, and much of that was later ignored or rewritten for TWoK.
"Recently my 8 year-old cousin asked me, with a wicked twinkle in his eye, if I'd ever microwaved a banana. I'm terrified to try, but I'm sure whatever happens—splattering, abrupt, radioactive—sounds exactly like an Annie Clark guitar solo."
M'Sharak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 20 2014, 07:04 PM   #210
BigJake
Rear Admiral

Belz... wrote: View Post
Sorry, but I should very much like to nominate this sort of stock response for the aforementioned cheat sheet.

However clear or unclear the specifics of his ethnicity may not be at any point, he is always named Khan Noonien Singh, a name with conspicuously South Asian resonance. That's why even non-Trekkie audience members were able to twig to the oddness of his being played by a white guy. So this really strikes me as being a bit of a dodge.