Star Trek 3 Potential Director Shortlist
By: T'Bonz on Dec 16

Official Starships Collection Update
By: T'Bonz on Dec 15

Retro Review: Prodigal Daughter
By: Michelle on Dec 13

Sindicate Lager To Debut In The US Next Week
By: T'Bonz on Dec 12

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies XI+

Star Trek Movies XI+ Discuss J.J. Abrams' rebooted Star Trek here.

Old March 17 2014, 08:41 PM   #46
Santa Claus
Believe

Send a message via ICQ to Santa Claus Send a message via AIM to Santa Claus Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Santa Claus Send a message via Yahoo to Santa Claus
Re: Chris Pine Charged With Drink Driving

Good point. Still, I really do hope Pine was remorseful. We all make mistakes, this one didn't kill anybody, thank god, and I hope he doesn't do it again. I got a speeding ticket years ago, and the officer was nice enough not to do anything more than give me a ticket for $60 (I was doing 83 in a 65 when he caught me). I was an idiot but once in that regard, and I learned my lesson.
❄ A Joyful Holiday Season to You All! ❄

Santa Claus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 17 2014, 09:07 PM   #47
JWPlatt
Commander

I suspect Pine's well-timed generosity was on the advice of counsel or a PR agent. Damage control.
JWPlatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 17 2014, 09:10 PM   #48
Ovation
Vice Admiral

Location: La Belle Province or The Green Mountain State (depends on the day of the week)

Perhaps. But maybe he's just a nice guy who regrets his mistake?
Ovation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 17 2014, 11:17 PM   #49
JWPlatt
Commander

Maybe. Maybe not. Neither of us knows for sure. I'm more cynical of motive when the stakes are high.
Old March 18 2014, 02:15 AM   #50
Santa Kang
Fleet Admiral

Runetouch wrote: View Post
Ovation wrote: View Post
You know something about Pine no one else knows?
Nah, it just seemed to me from how easily he was able to act as a drunkard person in the movie. And it isn't as if he is an excellent actor in the first place.
What?
Old March 18 2014, 02:49 AM   #51
JWPlatt
Commander

Apparently, an actor who can easily portray character traits are like that in real life. Most of the cast of Men In Black really are aliens. And Dustin Hoffman really is a cross dressing autistic graduate.
Old March 18 2014, 03:14 AM   #52
Devon
Fleet Captain

Exactly. Charlton Heston was also really Moses.
Old March 18 2014, 07:08 AM   #53
Runetouch
Lieutenant Commander

JWPlatt wrote: View Post
Apparently, an actor who can easily portray character traits are like that in real life.
I am not saying that most actors are similar to characters they play in movies(in fact, only a minority would be like that). But what I am saying is that, from Pine's attitude in interviews and such, he did seem to be exactly like the character he plays.
Runetouch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 18 2014, 08:45 AM   #54
Santa Claus
Believe

Send a message via ICQ to Santa Claus Send a message via AIM to Santa Claus Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Santa Claus Send a message via Yahoo to Santa Claus

JWPlatt wrote: View Post
Apparently, an actor who can easily portray character traits are like that in real life.
I am not saying that most actors are similar to characters they play in movies(in fact, only a minority would be like that). But what I am saying is that, from Pine's attitude in interviews and such, he did seem to be exactly like the character he plays.
Really? I've seen him in a lot of recent interviews, and he has been humble, engaging, all without really being cocky.

Chris Pine & Craig Ferguson

Chris Pine & David Letterman

Chris Pine on Daybreak

Chris Pine on USA Today
❄ A Joyful Holiday Season to You All! ❄

Santa Claus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 18 2014, 01:50 PM   #55
Lance
Commodore

J. Allen wrote: View Post
A BAC of 0.11 and they said intervention did not appear to be warranted? Wow. New Zealand apparently likes to get shit-faced. Either that, or his staff were too afraid to confront him. Personally, I don't care if you're the Pope. If I see you intoxicated, and you have keys in your hand, I'm taking them and calling you a cab.
It's like I said earlier, there's different levels of play. "Mild intoxication" and "shit faced" are at two wildly different extremes of the scale. And from everything I've read about this case, I suspect that while Pine was certainly over the legal limit of the land and he acknowledges that he was wrong to get in his car that night, but in reality he wasn't exactly at a level of severe drunkeness. One can still 'blow' over the limit and still not exactly be slurring words and throwing punches. So, I think this is why the level of his fine was so low, even accounting for his charitable donation. He's shown genuine remorse, but more importantly the actual level of the offense (by New Zealand standards?) was probably not that big a deal. Was he running red lights and swerving all over the road? Or was he just a guy in a car who happened to fail the sobriety test? We may never know, but I suspect the latter.

Certainly as you say by all accounts the bar staff were perfectly convinced that he was fine before he left that night, and those guys know all the signs of intoxication to look out for (and they say they would have called him a cab if they'd recognized anything remiss in his behaviour).

So yeah. I reckon he was "intoxicated", but he wasn't "drunk", exactly. He was probably in a gray area somewhere between two.
Lance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 18 2014, 01:55 PM   #56
Set Harth
Rear Admiral

If Damon Lindelof ruined my movie I'd drink too!
Old March 19 2014, 05:34 AM   #57
Devon
Fleet Captain

So he comes across as a Starfleet captain who saves the world in interviews?
Old March 19 2014, 04:05 PM   #58
Runetouch
Lieutenant Commander

He comes across as a fun-loving guy, but I dunno. It often seems to me as if he is one of those who have too much fun and drink, a bit similar to his Kirk.
Runetouch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 19 2014, 07:48 PM   #59
Khan 2.0
Captain

must be great walking into a bar and having people whispering 'OMG its captain kirk!' and going to the bar and ordering a drink and catching the kirk like reflection in the mirror behind the bar (ok not the proper captain kirk but still kirk)...
Khan 2.0 is offline   Reply With Quote