RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 145,543
Members: 25,800
Currently online: 503
Newest member: Legokid599

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Misc. Star Trek > Trek Literature

Trek Literature "...Good words. That's where ideas begin."

Old March 17 2014, 12:52 AM   #721
Caretaker
Commodore

View Caretaker's Twitter Profile Send a message via ICQ to Caretaker Send a message via AIM to Caretaker
Re: IDW Star Trek Ongoing...

Zahra from the second Operation: Annihilate issue looks like a clear mistake (in the first panel with her) - the artist seems to have forgotten that they were supposed to be drawing Zahra and used Rand instead. A few panels later, there is a picture of Zahra from behind and she clearly has dark hair and a darker skin tone.

I really can't explain the post-STID appearance. Vitiligo?

Caretaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 17 2014, 01:03 AM   #722
Pauln6
Rear Admiral

Christopher wrote: View Post
Pauln6 wrote: View Post
You have a physicist at the helm, a navigator as chief engineer, and a computer scientist as first officer, but you draw the line at a security guard doing admin?
I'm just saying that it would be nice to see a yeoman portrayed as what a yeoman actually is, rather than making it a meaningless title for a character who's doing something entirely different.

Besides, none of your examples is equivalent to this. Sulu changed jobs from physicist to helmsman. Chekov changed jobs from navigator to engineer. And Spock is consistently addressed as both first officer and science officer. If you're not going to portray a character as an administrative aide at all, if you're just going to present her as another security guard, then just bloomin' call her a security guard, not a yeoman.
Then perhaps we're talking at cross purposes. I was suggesting that the yeoman be a security-trained crewman who changed jobs to be a yeoman.

The wider point I was trying to make was that astronomy to engineering (or security in the prime universe) is actually a bigger leap in terms of training because they are quite different disciplines. Being a yeoman would require a more limited skill set than being a starship engineer, and learning about administration on a starship is something that would be part of basic training. We also know that even in TOS, all the crew were trained astronauts, often featured performing tasks in multiple disciplines.

So, the yeomen would have to be trained in something else as well as admin - it makes sense to pick something that can contribute to the story in simple ways. Pick communications or helm and they are almost never going to contribute to the story e.g. Rand and Uhura's brief stints at helm and navigation in TOS. Pick engineering and it's likely they can contribute more often in a meaningful way. Pick security and they can contribute whenever they're joined to a landing party.

I do agree that I want the yeoman to be seen doing the job they're supposed to be doing but I would not want that to be all they did any more than I want Uhura just to answer the phone or Sulu just to fly the ship. I would like Rand to be developed into a modernised version of the character she was intended to be but that will only happen gradually if they feature her doing her job regularly.

As far as ethnicity goes, I'm not a fan of a stark one in, one out approach, where you replace one similar character for another (like Babylon 5 did from pilot to season one) but I am also not in favour of replacing characters of ethnic minorities with Caucasian characters unless the reverse is also happening elsewhere to keep the overall 'cast' balanced.

Other Worlds Role Playing Game
http://rpg.drivethrustuff.com/produc...ducts_id=97631
Pauln6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 17 2014, 02:55 AM   #723
Daddy Todd
Captain

I don't want to interrupt the nonstop "Zahra" thread, but I wanted to say that I thought #31 was a step up from the last 2-parter. OK, so "I, Enterprise" doesn't have anything much like a plot yet, but the "origin of 0317" (that was his name, right? I could go check, but I'm too lazy...) was involving. I give it as thumb up.
Daddy Todd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 17 2014, 09:12 AM   #724
Pauln6
Rear Admiral

I think 2-parter origin stories work well because they have a focus. The previous story would have been fine if it had been followed up by an actual 3 or 4 part story. It will be interesting to see where they go with 0718 longer term. I hope it heralds the introduction of a few more alien crewmen over time as well.

Old March 17 2014, 05:19 PM   #725
King Daniel Into Darkness
Admiral

I'm curious, if he's unique as the comic says, why is he named Science Officer 0718? When I saw the name in the movie credits (so much for GATT2000) I must admit it made me think AU Starfleet is operating some kind of Universal Soldier program.
Old March 17 2014, 06:29 PM   #726
The Keeper
Commodore

'He' is the 718th prototype in a line dating back to Dr Soong's work first imagined in prison at the conclusion of Enterprise's The Augments?
Old March 17 2014, 08:49 PM   #727
Pauln6
Rear Admiral

He might just be the 718th crewman.

Old March 18 2014, 03:44 AM   #728
Mr. Laser Beam
Fleet Admiral

View Mr. Laser Beam's Twitter Profile

Maybe he served on USS Biddeford and named himself after its registry number?
Old March 19 2014, 06:33 PM   #729
DarthPipes
Vice Admiral

Have they actually begun the five-year mission yet in the series?
DarthPipes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 21 2014, 08:52 AM   #730
Therin of Andor
Admiral

View Therin of Andor's Twitter Profile

DarthPipes wrote: View Post
Have they actually begun the five-year mission yet in the series?
Yes, but this two-parter is (mostly?) a flashback to Science Officer 0718's origins.
Therin of Andor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 22 2014, 04:04 AM   #731
Cadet49
Lieutenant Commander

Why the one year jump ahead to 2261?

Why have the comics suddenly jumped ahead by a year, to 2261, when we only got two story lines in 2260 (After Darkness and the Gorn colony story)... The Khitomer Conflict starts at Stardate 2261.147 (If the 147 represents days into the year from Jan 1, that would be around May 27 ... The Gorn colony mission of the previous issue was on Stardate 2260.115 (Which would be April 25, 2260, since there are 31 days in January, 28 in Feb, 31 in March, then add 25 days to make the 115) - why did the story jump ahead almost a year? Was there a reason that anyone can see, plot-wise?
Cadet49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 22 2014, 04:07 AM   #732
King Daniel Into Darkness
Admiral

Didn't the comics initially ignore the one year jump at the end of ID (which was added in post production)? Perhaps they're just compensating for that at last.
Old March 22 2014, 04:18 AM   #733
Christopher
Writer

But STID ended in 2260, after most of the film occurring in 2259.

As I recall, the comics haven't been in consistent chronological order anyway. They've jumped around a fair bit.
Old March 22 2014, 05:16 AM   #734
Hartzilla2007
Vice Admiral

Christopher wrote: View Post
But STID ended in 2260, after most of the film occurring in 2259.

As I recall, the comics haven't been in consistent chronological order anyway. They've jumped around a fair bit.
Plus it's not like the star date system generation confusion on when things take place is a new thing.
Hartzilla2007 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old March 22 2014, 05:55 AM   #735
Therin of Andor
Admiral

View Therin of Andor's Twitter Profile

I rarely bother to dwell on Stardates or distances between spacial landmarks. It's not why I enjoy Star Trek.
Therin of Andor is offline   Reply With Quote