Mystery Mini Vinyl Figure Display Box
By: T'Bonz on Sep 29

The Red Shirt Diaries Episode Five
By: T'Bonz on Sep 29

Shatner In Trek 3? Well Maybe
By: T'Bonz on Sep 28

Retro Review: Shadows and Symbols
By: Michelle on Sep 27

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Misc. Star Trek > Trek Literature

Trek Literature "...Good words. That's where ideas begin."

Old March 17 2014, 12:23 PM   #91
Therin of Andor
Admiral

View Therin of Andor's Twitter Profile
Re: Shore Leave

Hi Knowledgeable Ones,

I paid for my convention ticket on March 4 by PayPal. Should I have received a code by now to be able to book a room in the hotel at a convention rate?

Thanks.
Therin of Andor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 18 2014, 01:10 AM   #92
KRAD
Keith R.A. DeCandido

View KRAD's Twitter Profile

Therin of Andor wrote: View Post
I paid for my convention ticket on March 4 by PayPal. Should I have received a code by now to be able to book a room in the hotel at a convention rate?
Go right now this second to Shore Leave's hotel page and make your reservation. All the instructions are there. You were never going to be sent a code by the con because they just assumed you'd get the information off the web site......

"Even when you turn your back, you're facing something."
KRAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 18 2014, 07:50 AM   #93
Therin of Andor
Admiral

I haven't been sent anything by the con yet, only my PayPal receipt. When I last visited that hotel page, it seemed to be requiring a convention code to be entered. I can't get it to offer me anything for my requested four nights, so am I to assume that only some rooms are actually offered at con rates and they are all sold out?

Reducing my stay to only the Thursday and Friday I have been able to secure a very expensive room, and I'm still homeless for the Saturday and Sunday nights. Sigh.

So do more rooms get released, or this is it and I now have to seek alternative arrangements for the other two nights?

Information and tips appreciated please.
Old March 19 2014, 10:51 AM   #94
Therin of Andor
Admiral

Not having much luck. Since that online room booking failed to register (twice), it looks like I'll be staying directly across from the convention hotel instead. My travel agent was also locked out from making a booking at the Hunt Valley Inn.

I'm hoping it is actually possible for pedestrians to get across the main road at some point? And that it's a safe part of town to be venturing back late at night?

Advice always welcome please.
Old March 19 2014, 12:30 PM   #95
Corran Horn
Vice Admiral

Not having much luck. Since that online room booking failed to register (twice), it looks like I'll be staying directly across from the convention hotel instead. My travel agent was also locked out from making a booking at the Hunt Valley Inn.

I'm hoping it is actually possible for pedestrians to get across the main road at some point? And that it's a safe part of town to be venturing back late at night?

Advice always welcome please.
I think it's safe from a violence perspective - but that is not a trivial road to cross. I believe it's 4 lanes going both ways and the freeway on/off ramps are right near by.
Old March 19 2014, 12:42 PM   #96
Therin of Andor
Admiral

Corran Horn wrote: View Post
but that is not a trivial road to cross. I believe it's 4 lanes going both ways and the freeway on/off ramps are right near by.
That's what it seems to be on the map. But is there a pedestrian overpass, at some point?
Old March 19 2014, 02:14 PM   #97
Christopher
Writer

No overpass, but there's a crosswalk at the intersection of Shawan and McCormick Roads. Unfortunately it's on the opposite side of McCormick from the hotels in question, and McCormick itself doesn't have a convenient place to cross on the north side. Nor are there any proper sidewalks along Shawan, so you mostly have to go through the hotel parking lots. Ideally, if you're a first-timer, find an experienced congoer to guide you.

On my first Shore Leave, I'd come overnight by Greyhound and was lugging a heavy old unwheeled suitcase around, and I was exhausted and got lost trying to find the hotel, and when I finally spotted it I was on the wrong side of Shawan. In my exhaustion and stupidity, I jaywalked across Shawan to get to the hotel, and I was lucky that I didn't get hit by a car.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is online now   Reply With Quote
Old March 19 2014, 03:50 PM   #98
Therin of Andor
Admiral

Christopher wrote: View Post
No overpass, but there's a crosswalk at the intersection of Shawan and McCormick Roads. Unfortunately it's on the opposite side of McCormick from the hotels in question, and McCormick itself doesn't have a convenient place to cross on the north side.
Okay, that makes me feel better! Thank you. My travel agent urged me to check Google street maps when she realised that her recommendation of hotel was on the other side of such a major road. I don't mind walking out of my way if I can eventually get to a crosswalk and do it safer and legally.

Just now, I finally succeeded in getting the convention hotel to accept my room booking for the night of my arrival in Baltimore (Thursday) and the night of the Pocket authors function (Friday), but I'll have to check out the next morning and go elsewhere for the Saturday and Sunday nights. Nothing left at convention rates at all.
Old March 27 2014, 09:55 PM   #99
Thrawn
Rear Admiral

...oh shit! I can go this year!

I always teach at summer camps or take on other summer projects that conflict, but amazingly enough the camp I'm working for this year ends three days before Shore Leave. Five years in a row I had a conflict and I'd basically given up checking.

...but not this time! Yay!

Is there any, like, TrekBBS meet up or anything? I would love to meet some of you in person.
Old March 28 2014, 03:36 PM   #100
Greg Cox
Vice Admiral

You know, a TrekBBS meetup sounds like a cool idea . . . .
Old March 28 2014, 03:54 PM   #101
dansigal
Commander

Greg Cox wrote: View Post
You know, a TrekBBS meetup sounds like a cool idea . . . .
If there was every a place to do it for this particular forum, Shore Leave would it
dansigal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 28 2014, 10:04 PM   #102
Thrawn
Rear Admiral

No kidding.

And clearly you can count me in!
Old March 28 2014, 10:23 PM   #103
Allyn Gibson
Vice Admiral

View Allyn Gibson's Twitter Profile Send a message via AIM to Allyn Gibson Send a message via Yahoo to Allyn Gibson

The Hunt Valley Inn sold out the first week of March. I know this, because I booked the next to last room the first week of March.

I've stayed across the street. (And there was the year I slept in the back seat of my Beetle. That's against the law in Maryland, by the way.) You can walk across Shawan Road. You don't need to go as far as the crosswalk. Jaywalking is fine. It's six lanes, with a concrete berm in the middle, and you'll be able to make it across.

I work about two miles from there. (I can see the Hunt Valley Inn from the coffee nook in my office.) It's a pretty safe area. No cattle rustlers. No roving gangs of malcontents. It's a generally upscale area.

allyngibson.net
Allyn Gibson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 28 2014, 10:38 PM   #104
Greg Cox
Vice Admiral

There's also a multiplex movie theater across the street and a few blocks up. I've often played hooky from the con to go catch a summer blockbuster--and lived to tell of it!

Hmm. Just noticed Guardians of the Galaxy opens that weekend. Very interesting . . . ..
Old March 28 2014, 11:21 PM   #105
Christopher
Writer

Allyn Gibson wrote: View Post
You can walk across Shawan Road. You don't need to go as far as the crosswalk. Jaywalking is fine. It's six lanes, with a concrete berm in the middle, and you'll be able to make it across.
I really wouldn't recommend that. It's doable if you're careful, but it's a risk, since traffic can get pretty heavy at that spot -- and can be rather fast, since some of the cars are just getting off the interstate. I still feel I was lucky not to get hit when I unthinkingly crossed there on my first Shore Leave. Admittedly I was exhausted and lugging a heavy case at the time, but having no prior experience crossing that road was a factor too. For a first-timer, I'd recommend the crosswalk.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is online now   Reply With Quote