Star Trek 3 Potential Director Shortlist
By: T'Bonz on Dec 16

Official Starships Collection Update
By: T'Bonz on Dec 15

Retro Review: Prodigal Daughter
By: Michelle on Dec 13

Sindicate Lager To Debut In The US Next Week
By: T'Bonz on Dec 12

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > Star Trek - Original Series

Star Trek - Original Series The one that started it all...

Old March 17 2014, 05:52 PM   #46
Cap'n Claus
Rear Admiral

Re: A Goof in the STAR TREK Franchise

Warped9 wrote: View Post
Where does it say Dehner's body was left behind? For that matter who is to say they left Mitchell's body under the slab?
I could see them taking Dehner's body back, but since it was a huge-ass rock formation that fell on Gary, I'd say his body was probably pulped. Best to just leave it there than bring back a few scrapings and some teeth.
Old March 17 2014, 08:08 PM   #47
Redfern
Commodore

Given the depth of the "grave" and the nominal "bulge" upon the front face (later downward after its 90 degree rotation), I figured there was a substantial "gap" within the "tomb". and the way we saw Mitchell stumble and collapse back into the grave just as the slab descends, it's quite possible there was minimal trauma to his body.

But I figure something had to happen to keep him from levitating (or dramatically exploding) the slab in a gesture of god-like fury. Maybe he raised his head high enough to have the bulge of the slab strike it, either killing him instantly or knocking him unconscious long enough to die of asphixiation once the slab "sealed' the grave.

"But the phaser rifle didn't hurt him," I imagine you stating. I used to wonder that too. Maybe because he was aware of the impending phaser shot Mitchell was able to use his powers to "shield" himself. But with the slab falling, he was caught off guard and his body was still prone to injury if he didn't use his abilities.

Sincerely,

Bill

Freighter Tails: the Misadventures of Mzzkiti
Redfern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 17 2014, 11:57 PM   #48
publiusr
Commodore

So Batman didn't have time to prepare after all...
publiusr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 18 2014, 02:50 AM   #49
ZapBrannigan
Fleet Captain

ssosmcin wrote: View Post
I could see them taking Dehner's body back, but since it was a huge-ass rock formation that fell on Gary, I'd say his body was probably pulped. Best to just leave it there than bring back a few scrapings and some teeth.

I would have left Mitchell's pulped body behind and gotten out of there fast. I'm reminded of a line, I think it's from one of Anne Rice's vampire novels. A very old, weary vampire is desperate to die, so he arranges to have someone burn him. And he says, "Scatter the ashes, or I might rise again. And in what form I dare not contemplate."
ZapBrannigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 18 2014, 07:05 AM   #50
Timewalker
Cat-lovin', Star Trekkin' Time Lady

Metryq wrote: View Post
^ And Rigil Kent is just down the street!

So, how many Rigels were there in TOS?
Stars or planets? Apparently the Star Trek version of Rigel has a lot of planets, some Class M, in spite of the real Rigel being a very young star that is unlikely to have such planets.

Warped9 wrote: View Post
Where does it say Dehner's body was left behind? For that matter who is to say they left Mitchell's body under the slab?
Personally, I wouldn't risk having their remains on the ship. Kirk may have simply buried Dehner and left, making sure to place a warning buoy so no other ships ran any possible risks there. In some cases, better paranoid than sorry.

For some great Original Series fanfic, check out the Valjiir Continuum!
Timewalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 18 2014, 12:07 PM   #51
darkshadow0001
Rear Admiral

RegalTrekkie wrote: View Post
I am watching "Where No Man Has Gone Before" (1.03) and have noticed something that later Star Trek shows such as Star Trek: Voyager contradicts. At one point pretty early in the episode, Kirk instructs Mitchell to leave the galaxy at warp factor one. Later shows clearly indicate that leaving the galaxy would not be possible (not even at warp factor ten let alone at warp factor one). The whole premise of Star Trek: Voyager, for example, is that the crew gets stranded in a different quadrant of the galaxy, and the journey home is expected to take about seventy-five years. I am sure that there are other instances of this kind of writing error happening throughout the franchise, as well, but I am pointing this one out because I just caught it. It's so frustrating that the writers weren't more careful than that.
Could it be that maybe the galaxy they are talking about in Where No Man Has Gone Before be just the one they are in? Galaxies are numerous in the universe, whereas Voyager got stranded in a different quadrant, not galaxy.
darkshadow0001 is offline   Reply With Quote