Trek Business Card Cases
By: T'Bonz on Nov 17

February IDW Publishing Trek Comics
By: T'Bonz on Nov 17

Retro Review: The Siege of AR-558
By: Michelle on Nov 15

Trevco Full Bleed Uniform T-Shirts
By: T'Bonz on Nov 14

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Lounges & General Chat > Miscellaneous

Miscellaneous Discussion of non-Trek topics.

Old March 17 2014, 03:14 AM   #5041
RoJoHen
Awesome

Re: PICTURE POST II!

Lemonade prices sure have gone up since I was a kid.
Old March 17 2014, 04:08 AM   #5042
Ancient Mariner
Rear Admiral

View Ancient Mariner's Twitter Profile

Savage Dragon wrote: View Post
Someone had a birthday party today.

We tried to get a picture of her in her party dress but she wasn't really into it.

And for some reason she wanted to set up a lemonade stand at home a few weeks ago. She set the price.

So cute! And those are amazing photos. I love the lighting in them. It's masterful ... especially the lemonade shot. How do you get your daughter so well-lit with the bright window behind her?
Old March 17 2014, 01:30 PM   #5043
Let the Good Times Roll!!

macloudt wrote: View Post
Tell me about it. My daughter turned 17 at the beginning of the month and my older son turns 16 this Thursday. I'd fall on the floor and hyperventilate but I'd probably not be able to get up again on my own.
Our 19 year old stopped by the house with a car load of friends on their way to Spring Break on Saturday. Time flies.

Adorable pictures!

“There is a cult of ignorance in the United States...The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge'.” - Isaac Asimov
1001001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 17 2014, 06:04 PM   #5044
lurok
Commodore

thestrangequark wrote: View Post
I am the Best Fitness Guru.

My gym just got new equipment in, and all the personal monitors now have web access. Will be hard to resist temptation to log in to TrekBBS while ellipsing
Old March 17 2014, 08:52 PM   #5045
Savage Dragon
TheSeeker

Tom Hendricks wrote: View Post

Did you daughter have a Mexican birthday party? I see the traditional dress and the sombrero cookies. Did she choose this? What's the story, just wondering. My son Aaron will be 4 in May, he keeps jumping from theme to theme for his birthday party. We're gonna have to get him locked down soon.
It originally started out as a Dora the Explorer party since she likes the show so much, but it slowly morphed into a fiesta theme instead. It was her idea to change the party to that theme too! My wife made the cookies as toppers for cupcakes and had the idea to present them in a sombrero. We also had a homemade pinata that my wife and daughter made together. All in all, the party was a big hit.

Ancient Mariner wrote: View Post
How do you get your daughter so well-lit with the bright window behind her?
I actually cheated a bit with that particular photo. I shot it in evaluative metering mode so she turned out quite dark, but since I shot in RAW I was able to use Adobe Camera Raw to tweak it using a combination of Fill Light, Recovery, and boosted Blacks.

When I realized my error with the first couple of shots I switched to Partial metering mode and got a much better result which required very little tweaking.

Savage Dragon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old March 17 2014, 09:12 PM   #5046
B.J.
Rear Admiral

Tom Hendricks wrote: View Post

Did you daughter have a Mexican birthday party? I see the traditional dress and the sombrero cookies. Did she choose this? What's the story, just wondering. My son Aaron will be 4 in May, he keeps jumping from theme to theme for his birthday party. We're gonna have to get him locked down soon.
It originally started out as a Dora the Explorer party since she likes the show so much, but it slowly morphed into a fiesta theme instead. It was her idea to change the party to that theme too! My wife made the cookies as toppers for cupcakes and had the idea to present them in a sombrero. We also had a homemade pinata that my wife and daughter made together. All in all, the party was a big hit.
You people do themes for your parties?!? With the chaos that is my house (3 kids from 5 to 14 years old), we're lucky to get a cake made, let alone wrap anything! Eh, our "parties" are just family members anyway.
Old March 17 2014, 09:45 PM   #5047
Savage Dragon
TheSeeker

If it was up to me I would just throw some hot dogs and a cake on a table and be done with it, but my wife lives for this kind of stuff. She started planning this party the day after my daughter's third birthday!
Savage Dragon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old March 17 2014, 10:25 PM   #5048
Timby
GIVE ME YOUR FACE

I've been trying to get myself out of a depressive funk lately, and after much cajoling from friends and family, I've committed myself to taking one good photo a day. (I hadn't used my dSLR since September 2013.) I'm sharing them on Facebook. The first three days' results (I started on Saturday):

No Instagram filters, no Photoshop (outside of cropping and histogram correction), no Lightroom. The bokeh is captured entirely in-camera.
Timby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 17 2014, 10:29 PM   #5049
cooleddie74
Fleet Admiral

View cooleddie74's Twitter Profile

Very nice shots, Timby. You have a real eye for this. I especially like the image with the leaf.

-Captain Jonathan Archer, 2151
cooleddie74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 17 2014, 11:24 PM   #5050
teacake
Fleet Admiral

Location: Google's ass cave full of the lush, lush asses they have stolen.

I especially like the notebook.

"Damnit Spock. God damnit!" Kirk ST:V
■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
teacake is online now   Reply With Quote
Old March 18 2014, 01:13 AM   #5051
Tom Hendricks
Commodore

View Tom Hendricks's Twitter Profile

This past Sunday was the Jewish holiday of Purim, so my wife and sons made some Hamantaschen.

Then we went to a Purim Carnival at the Jewish Community Center, Purim is kinda like the Jewish version of Halloween. So the boys went dressed up as Astronauts.

Of course I'm a creationist. I believe man created god.
Tom Hendricks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 18 2014, 02:35 AM   #5052
Ancient Mariner
Rear Admiral

View Ancient Mariner's Twitter Profile

Timby, I really like all three photos. The DoF with the leaf really gives it character, but this:
Timby wrote: View Post

No Instagram filters, no Photoshop (outside of cropping and histogram correction), no Lightroom. The bokeh is captured entirely in-camera.
I just love it. It's a "classic" B&W photo. Kudos!

Ancient Mariner wrote: View Post
How do you get your daughter so well-lit with the bright window behind her?
I actually cheated a bit with that particular photo. I shot it in evaluative metering mode so she turned out quite dark, but since I shot in RAW I was able to use Adobe Camera Raw to tweak it using a combination of Fill Light, Recovery, and boosted Blacks.

When I realized my error with the first couple of shots I switched to Partial metering mode and got a much better result which required very little tweaking.

Well, there's no arguing the results. Especially considering the two other photos you shared above (the dress and the cupcakes). You've got a good eye for lighting. I may have mentioned before that your photos have a kind of "Norman Rockwell" quality to them (if I didn't I should have), and these just reinforce that.

Tom Hendricks, looks like it was a blast (pun intended)! Those photos really capture the joy of the moment.
Old March 18 2014, 03:46 AM   #5053
Let the Good Times Roll!!

Timby, that notebook picture is sublime.
“There is a cult of ignorance in the United States...The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge'.” - Isaac Asimov
1001001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 18 2014, 09:46 AM   #5054
lurok
Commodore

Would make a good blog picture header
Old March 18 2014, 11:07 AM   #5055
An Officer
Vice Admiral

^ Absolutely.

Seeker, the little one has really grown! Just lovely.