A Baby For Saldana
By: T'Bonz on Jul 23

Klingon Beer Arrives In The US
By: T'Bonz on Jul 22

Star Trek: Prelude To Axanar

Abrams Announces Star Wars: Force For Change Sweepstakes

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old March 16 2014, 03:06 AM   #76
sojourner
Vice Admiral

Re: Do you think LotR holds up?

I'd say sequels are a more prominent part of today's film industry than ever before. Remakes have been pretty common since the early days.
Old March 16 2014, 10:57 AM   #77
Mach5
Rear Admiral

sojourner wrote: View Post
I'd say sequels are a more prominent part of today's film industry than ever before. Remakes have been pretty common since the early days.
True. I don't mind remakes, as long as they're not mediocre PG 13 versions of R-rated classics (like Robocop 2014) or just downright terrible (like Total Recall 2012).

Just look at all the stuff that's getting (or has gotten) rebooted, though. Batman, Superman, Spider-Man, Fantastic Four, Planet of the Apes, Godzilla, Mad Max, Highlander... I wonder if these last two will also be PG 13 ...
Old March 16 2014, 02:18 PM   #78
Mooch
Fleet Captain

Honestly, the only thing I dislike about the LotR movies is how they shoehorn Galadriel into every movie (and Arwen to a lesser extent), and how the crumbs on Sam's shirt randomly appear and disappear during the crumb scene.

I'm really, totally cool with everything else. And I only watch the EE's.

The Lensman wrote: View Post
And this is really the difference between today's film goers and yesterdays. They didn't care.
To be fair, they didn't have the option to watch them on home video. By the time the remake came out, they might be happy to watch the same story again.
Mooch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 16 2014, 04:47 PM   #79
theenglish
Rear Admiral

I don't understand this "hold up" question. It took the films nearly as long to make as the time that has passed since they've been released (yes, I am exagerrating...a little). The movies were never perfect, but they were highly entertaining adaptations for most people. They always had some critics. Roger Ebert had a very poignant criticism of the nature of the movies and how they failed to capture the spirit and intent of the books--his opinion of course.
theenglish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 16 2014, 10:43 PM   #80
Set Harth
Rear Admiral

Mach5 wrote: View Post
Just look at all the stuff that's getting (or has gotten) rebooted, though. Batman, Superman, Spider-Man, Fantastic Four, Planet of the Apes, Godzilla, Mad Max, Highlander... I wonder if these last two will also be PG 13 ...
I thought Mad Max was supposed to be a sequel as opposed to a reboot, just with a different actor.
Old March 16 2014, 11:28 PM   #81
Mach5
Rear Admiral

Set Harth wrote: View Post
I thought Mad Max was supposed to be a sequel as opposed to a reboot, just with a different actor.
We'll see. Batman Begins was initially said to be a prequel, wasn't it?
Old March 16 2014, 11:50 PM   #82
FPAlpha
Rear Admiral

The movies themselves hold up pretty well as one grand epic split into three parts (the Extended editions only improve upon this).

Parts will always fall by the wayside and could have been done differently and everybody has different parts they don't like.. i could have used less comic relief Gimli which i attribute to the insane notion that all action movies need someone funny to lighten the mood.

Could have also used less ridiculous Legolas stunts.. we know that Elves are far more agile than anybody else but surfing down stairs on a shield while shooting Orcs? I love the small details that show these differences such as Legolas walking on the snow while everybody else sinks in.. it was a bit more subtle and not on the nose like some other scenes with him.

Digital effects also look a bit wonky sometimes, especially when they used the mass software to show huge amounts of troops.. especially noticeable in the final battle at the Gates of Mordor when Sauron dies and his troops are fleeing (though the team did a brilliant job often finishing the effects just mere weeks before release).

I especially love the first movie. Fellowship of the Ring has everything in it.. establishing the characters very well, action, fantasy and huge emotional moments ( i nearly broke down twice when the Fellowship mourned Gandalf after he fell in Moria and when Sam declared his friendship to Frodo at the end of the movie "Don't you leave him Samwise Gamgee!" ).

No matter the faults or deviations from the books i still love these movies because i'm a huge fantasy fan and this is one of the biggest epics in that genre done very well.
Old March 17 2014, 03:40 AM   #83
Set Harth
Rear Admiral

By who? The people involved in making it?
Old March 17 2014, 03:56 AM   #84
theenglish
Rear Admiral

A prequel to what? Batman Forever?
Old March 17 2014, 12:31 PM   #85
Mach5
Rear Admiral

Probably by media, and I don't remember anyone involved calling it a reboot prior to release, or otherwise stating that it was going to ignore the existing movies in any way... All this was almost a decade ago.

theenglish wrote:
A prequel to Tim Burton's 1989. Batman, obviously.
Old March 17 2014, 02:03 PM   #86
Set Harth
Rear Admiral

Probably by media
Well, there you go. Who ever said they knew what the **** they were talking about?
Old March 17 2014, 04:32 PM   #87
theenglish
Rear Admiral

theenglish wrote:
A prequel to Tim Burton's 1989. Batman, obviously.
Really, I don't recall ever hearing this. By 2006, Tim Burton's Batman was fifteen years old and Burton was not involved in Begins at all.
Old March 17 2014, 04:43 PM   #88
sojourner
Vice Admiral

I remember reading that BB would be an origin story, which we didn't really get in the Burton films. That may be why some thought it would be a prequel.
Old March 17 2014, 05:05 PM   #89
Mach5
Rear Admiral

Probably by media
Well, there you go. Who ever said they knew what the **** they were talking about?
Certainly not me.

theenglish wrote: View Post
By 2006, Tim Burton's Batman was fifteen years old and Burton was not involved in Begins at all.
No, by 2006 Tim Burton's Batman was 17 years old, and Batman Begins came out in 2005. Eight years after Joel Schumacher's (vomit inducing) Batman & Robin, the one that Burton had nothing to do with, although it obviously belonged to "Burton-verse".

sojourner wrote: View Post
I remember reading that BB would be an origin story, which we didn't really get in the Burton films. That may be why some thought it would be a prequel.
Could be. Like I said, it was a long time ago.
Old March 17 2014, 09:49 PM   #90
Silvercrest
Rear Admiral

Probably by media
Agreed. Half the time they use that word as if they don't know what it means.

Most likely, the other half of the time they still don't know what it means but they use it correctly by accident.
Silvercrest is online now   Reply With Quote