Red Shirt Diaries Episode Three
By: T'Bonz on Sep 15

Made Out Of Mudd Photonovel

Takei Has Growth Removed

Retro Review: Tears of the Prophets
By: Michelle on Sep 12

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old March 13 2014, 06:00 PM   #2236
Out Of My Vulcan Mind
Vice Admiral

Re: A Song of Ice and Fire/Game of Thrones Spoiler-Filled Discussion

Any of the major parts would be difficult to recast.
Old March 13 2014, 11:58 PM   #2237
CaptainCanada
Admiral

Allyn Gibson wrote: View Post
Venardhi wrote: View Post
They haven't shied away from recasting yet though...
The only actor that I think can't be recast is Dinklage, and I'm curious to see if his contract renegotiations (he says his contract is up with the sixth season, and he has a new HBO series in development) determine the fate of the series.
The standard Hollywood contract is six years with an option for a seventh with a certain range of increases available -- all of the original cast still needed for the seventh season will be able to renegotiate then. An eighth season would require full-scale renegotiations for all of them, and the season two castmembers still around getting their seventh-season options.

- Homer Simpson
CaptainCanada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 14 2014, 02:57 PM   #2238
Lonemagpie
Writer

The only actor that I think can't be recast is Dinklage, and I'm curious to see if his contract renegotiations (he says his contract is up with the sixth season, and he has a new HBO series in development) determine the fate of the series.
I wouldn't be surprised if they aimed to be done with adapting the books-so-far by the end of season 6, so that they can do whatever they want in season 7 without worrying about spoilering later books.

I'd expect *nobody* to be safe for the season 6 finale- they can kill off whoever they want with that plan.

Blog- http://lonemagpie.livejournal.com
Lonemagpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 14 2014, 07:49 PM   #2239
Out Of My Vulcan Mind
Vice Admiral

The title of the fifth episode has been revealed: "First of His Name".

Also, HBO has a website up where artist Robert M. Ball is putting up a piece of art representing each death in the series to date. They're also taking submissions from other artists. You can see the website here.
Old March 15 2014, 02:28 AM   #2240
CaptainCanada
Admiral

Lonemagpie wrote: View Post
I wouldn't be surprised if they aimed to be done with adapting the books-so-far by the end of season 6
They'll have to be done with the published material by the end of season 5 to cover the final two books' worth of stuff in two seasons.

- Homer Simpson
Old March 15 2014, 02:20 PM   #2241
Takeru
Fleet Captain

I wouldn't be surprised if they aimed to be done with adapting the books-so-far by the end of season 6, ...
The books so far will most likely be adapted by the end of season 5 with only bits and pieces missing from A Feast for Crows/A Dance with Dragons (and some parts of Winds of Winter will already be used in season 5!), there's not much content left, large chunks and some characters from Feast/Dance will be removed, they're pointless and add nothing to the story.

The producers know where the story is going, they don't have to make things up, Martin told them the story of every character in broad strokes, they will simply overtake the novels.
Takeru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 15 2014, 08:52 PM   #2242
Captaindemotion
Vice Admiral

Not sure if anyone has linked to this interview with GRRM about the whole catching-up issue:

http://winteriscoming.net/2014/03/ge...n-vanity-fair/
Old March 15 2014, 09:14 PM   #2243
DevilEyes
Rear Admiral

View DevilEyes's Twitter Profile

CaptainCanada wrote: View Post
DevilEyes wrote: View Post
[
I'm not sure that they will be able to wrap everything up in two more seasons, so I expect things like longer seasons (Oz, The Sopranos etc. have already done the trick of virtually having two seasons but calling them one season) and longer season finales or at least series finale (IIRC, the Oz series finale was something like an hour and a half instead of the usual 60-something minutes).
The producers have already stated many times that increasing the series' episode order per season is impossible.
I don't think they've said it's impossible. Do you have a quote? It wasn't impossible for Oz, The Sopranos, BSG on the SciFi channel, I don't see why it would be impossible for GoT.

Brolan wrote: View Post
I'm starting to wonder if the TV series will have an actual ending.
Why would you wonder that? Of course it will. The question is just if we'll get the chance to see the ending on TV first or read it in the books.

That's ridiculous. They can't and won't recast any of the major characters. They've only recast minor and supporting characters.

Dinklage's performance is overrated, BTW. A bunch of other actors have delivered as good or better performances (i.e. without his ridiculous accent).

I wouldn't be surprised if they aimed to be done with adapting the books-so-far by the end of season 6, so that they can do whatever they want in season 7 without worrying about spoilering later books.

I'd expect *nobody* to be safe for the season 6 finale- they can kill off whoever they want with that plan.
Nope. They care about having a good ending, and they claim to care about adapting the series faithfully - and so far, they've mostly done it. Why would they be worried if the show spoils future books? That can only be good for the show's viewership.

GRRM has told them the ending and the character arcs for all major characters. They will work with that. I'm sure they will also have the access to GRRM's yet unpublished manuscripts, because he'd probably prefer a faithful adaptation to one that diverges from the books a lot.

my Buffy/Angel rewatch
DevilEyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 15 2014, 09:41 PM   #2244
Out Of My Vulcan Mind
Vice Admiral

DevilEyes wrote: View Post
I don't think they've said it's impossible. Do you have a quote? It wasn't impossible for Oz, The Sopranos, BSG on the SciFi channel, I don't see why it would be impossible for GoT.
Game of Thrones is a much bigger and more difficult production than any of those shows. This is from an interview Maureen Ryan conducted with the producers after the third season renewal:

"I would say that, going forward, 10-episode seasons are really all that are possible, given our 12-month [production] cycle," Weiss said. "For this show specifically, it's really all we can do to do 10 of them in a year. I would say not to expect more than 10 a season any time in the near future ... We had always planned on a 10-episode season [for the show's third year]."
The producers had spoken of a maximum aim of 80 episodes in eight seasons. If they wrap it up in seven seasons instead then you could perhaps see a slightly longer final season, if the air date is pushed back, or - perhaps more likely - a 10-episode final season with extra-long opening and closing episodes.

Captaindemotion wrote: View Post
Not sure if anyone has linked to this interview with GRRM about the whole catching-up issue
For a guy with TV experience, his plan for staying ahead of the TV show is very unrealistic.

Last edited by Out Of My Vulcan Mind; March 16 2014 at 12:06 AM.
Out Of My Vulcan Mind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 16 2014, 07:49 AM   #2245
Klaus
Rear Admiral

View Klaus's Twitter Profile

...if it indeed works out that the show finishes first, we could have an utterly unique situation where the TV adaptation spoils the books rather than the other way around. That's never happened before AFAIK. Hard-core book fans might try to not watch the last season or two and wait until they can read the books first.
Klaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 16 2014, 04:08 PM   #2246
Lonemagpie
Writer

Klaus wrote: View Post
...if it indeed works out that the show finishes first, we could have an utterly unique situation where the TV adaptation spoils the books rather than the other way around. That's never happened before AFAIK. Hard-core book fans might try to not watch the last season or two and wait until they can read the books first.
That's why I think they'll have different but related endings. So that both are satisfying and fit together, but neither spoils the other.

Blog- http://lonemagpie.livejournal.com
Lonemagpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 16 2014, 04:40 PM   #2247
CaptainCanada
Admiral

They specifically went to Martin to get all the details on how the series finishes, so I don't think they're planning on changing things. They signed on to adapt A Song of Ice and Fire, and that's what they'll do.

- Homer Simpson
Old March 16 2014, 05:53 PM   #2248
Allyn Gibson
Vice Admiral

View Allyn Gibson's Twitter Profile Send a message via AIM to Allyn Gibson Send a message via Yahoo to Allyn Gibson

Out Of My Vulcan Mind wrote: View Post
The producers had spoken of a maximum aim of 80 episodes in eight seasons. If they wrap it up in seven seasons instead then you could perhaps see a slightly longer final season, if the air date is pushed back, or - perhaps more likely - a 10-episode final season with extra-long opening and closing episodes.
Since Benioff and Weiss gone from talking about eight seasons to talking about seven, it's clear they're making adjustments to wrap up earlier than they had initially planned.

Based on history, I think it's likely that the final war for the Iron Throne would be the easiest to truncate. In some respects, Bosworth Field at the end of the Wars of the Roses is anticlimactic, but it's also definitive. Martin may elaborate on and draw out the final phase of the Westerosi civil war in the book; the series could simply cut to the chase -- the Targaryen heir (Dany? Young Griff?) lands in Westeros and raises the standard, whoever holds the throne summons what army he can and rushes out to meet them, his army begins to defect to the other side, battle, done. Take care of that in the sixth season and show the new monarch consolidating power and dealing with the aftermath of the war, and then use the seventh and final season for the final war with what lies beyond the Wall. (That's how I think books six and seven will play out -- book six, the fate of the Iron Thrones; book seven, the fate of Westeros between the Westerosi and what lies beyond.)

allyngibson.net
Allyn Gibson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 17 2014, 04:05 AM   #2249
Venardhi
Vice Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Venardhi Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Venardhi

The game of thrones is never over. Wrapping it all up neatly would be the worst possible ending. I don't see how you wrap up the struggle for the throne before the threat of the others is dealt with.
"There is no reason why good cannot triumph as often as evil. The triumph of anything is a matter of organization. If there are such things as angels, I hope that they are organized along the lines of the Maffia." - Winston Niles Rumfoord.
Venardhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 17 2014, 04:40 AM   #2250
Kelthaz
Rear Admiral

Take care of that in the sixth season and show the new monarch consolidating power and dealing with the aftermath of the war, and then use the seventh and final season for the final war with what lies beyond the Wall. (That's how I think books six and seven will play out -- book six, the fate of the Iron Thrones; book seven, the fate of Westeros between the Westerosi and what lies beyond.)
That's so ... generic.

"I'm the locksmith. And... I'm the locksmith."
Kelthaz is offline   Reply With Quote