Horse 1, Shatner 0
By: T'Bonz on Jul 28

Drexler TV Alert
By: T'Bonz on Jul 26

Retro Review: His Way
By: Michelle on Jul 26

MicroWarriors Releases Next Week
By: T'Bonz on Jul 25

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > TV & Media

TV & Media Non-Trek television, movies, books, music, etc.

Old March 15 2014, 06:39 PM   #496
shivkala
Rear Admiral

Re: How I Met Your Mother: The Final Season

My thoughts, for what they are worth: It's not that I want the mother to die, it's that her dying is the most logical reason for Ted's reaction after he made the comment about what mother would miss her daughter's wedding. If it's a fake out, they better have a damned good explanation.

With the rumors and Ted's line, I can live with the mother dying, knowing Ted had some great years with her. That's not saying I want her to die, mind you.

However, I feel as if they use that line as a fake out, with a half-assed explanation, that's what I'll remember about the show. It'll be the "there was another world"/"they were dead all along" of this show, for me.
"When I reach for the edge of the universe, I do it knowing that along some paths of cosmic discovery, there are times when, at least for now, one must be content to love the questions themselves." --Neil deGrasse Tyson
shivkala is online now   Reply With Quote
Old March 16 2014, 12:38 AM   #497
ryan123450
Commodore

View ryan123450's Twitter Profile

I really and truly hope and ask that everyone is really careful with spoilers in this thread. I absolutely don't want to be spoiled accidentally. Please everyone be careful and considerate.

Glory be to the Father, and to the Son, and to the Holy Spirit.
ryan123450 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 16 2014, 12:49 AM   #498
Campe98
Commodore

No worries at all. Without going into any detail, I will say that the pictures could be considered extremely spoilery. To all, if you wish to remain truly unspoiled, don't click on my last post in this thread.
Old March 16 2014, 01:22 AM   #499
shivkala
Rear Admiral

ryan123450 wrote: View Post
I really and truly hope and ask that everyone is really careful with spoilers in this thread. I absolutely don't want to be spoiled accidentally. Please everyone be careful and considerate.
Ted was dead the entire show! Marshall's last words, "Rosebud," were in reference to his childhood sled! Lily was Keyser Söze! After an intense laser tag/sword fight, Marvin learns Barney was his real father. Robin is Tyler Durden!

Can't help notice your post came after mine, I hope that's just coincidence and I didn't spoil anything for you! If so, I apologize. But not about the above spoilers, they were all obvious, if you think about it. Especially while "eating" a "sandwich" (the "sandwiches" they "ate" that Ted was always referring to instead of a certain controversial drug, were made of people!).
"When I reach for the edge of the universe, I do it knowing that along some paths of cosmic discovery, there are times when, at least for now, one must be content to love the questions themselves." --Neil deGrasse Tyson
Old March 16 2014, 03:55 PM   #500
Kirby
Rear Admiral

View Kirby's Twitter Profile

shivkala wrote: View Post
My thoughts, for what they are worth: It's not that I want the mother to die, it's that her dying is the most logical reason for Ted's reaction after he made the comment about what mother would miss her daughter's wedding. If it's a fake out, they better have a damned good explanation.
Although as someone mentioned upthread, it could be Lilly that's dying, that would warrant a similar reaction from Ted. At this point it seems too obvious that it could be the Mother thats dying, which could be a big head fake to the character that we've known for so long.
Old March 16 2014, 08:39 PM   #501
tighr
Commodore

Kirby wrote: View Post
Although as someone mentioned upthread, it could be Lilly that's dying, that would warrant a similar reaction from Ted. At this point it seems too obvious that it could be the Mother thats dying, which could be a big head fake to the character that we've known for so long.
I originally didn't think Lily could be the character Ted is sad about, however with the additional information we've been given last week about Lily now having a daughter, that does add credence to the suggestion.

I wonder if that was their intention? To delay the information about Lily being pregnant until after we've been hit with the "some female will die in the future" possibility?

I don't think the Mother will be dead, because I don't think they would do that to Ted... it would really kill the replay value of the show. Lily on the other hand, while she's beloved, she's not the Mother.

*Note: I have not and will not click the spoiler link above. At least not until the finale has aired.
Old March 16 2014, 11:11 PM   #502
shivkala
Rear Admiral

I think the thing is, it seems those against the idea are discounting the 10 years Ted has had with the Mother between meeting her and their conversation in 2024 (not counting the time she'll live past that point). I know I would rather be with the love of my life for only 10 years than spend my whole life searching.

Lily dying would make sense, but that's not any better. What would Marshmallow do without his Lilypad? Plus, we've had 10 seasons to get to know and love Lily, we've only got snippets over one season of the mother (discounting any umbrellas, etc.).

Again, I have to say, I'm not hoping the Mother dies. Knowing Ted has a long life with the woman he loves would make for a great ending. I just don't want them to pull a cheap fake out just to have us think the Mother dies/is dying.
Old March 16 2014, 11:26 PM   #503
urbandefault
Captain

This being a comedy, I think there will be a scene at the very end where Ted come out of the room where he was telling the story, and the mother is there waiting for him.

She'll say, "Well? How did it go?"

Ted responds, "Ok, I think."

"So, you told them ... ?"

"Uh ... CRAP!"

"So they don't know that I'm pregnant???"

"I guess I'll have to try again."
Old March 16 2014, 11:35 PM   #504
FPAlpha
Rear Admiral

urbandefault wrote: View Post
This being a comedy, I think there will be a scene at the very end where Ted come out of the room where he was telling the story, and the mother is there waiting for him.

"Uh ... CRAP!"

Please.. anything like this. This is a comedy show and not some existentialist drama about life and bad things that can happen.

As much as i'm not a fan of the past few seasons i want to end the show on a happy note. Giving Ted only a couple of years with the love of his life after he's gone through so much just feels wrong and is not edgy or even good storytelling in my book.
All this talk about the mother dying is really putting the brakes on the enjoyment i have for the very last few episodes.

I repeat myself.. it is a comedy show and it should end funny.
Old March 17 2014, 12:10 AM   #505
Campe98
Commodore

It's a sitcom. But it's a sitcom with heart. I'd rather have an "Awww" moment then a "Haha! LOLz!" moment. Definitely an "Awww" moment than a "Whaaaa! I'm crying like a baby!" moment.

Sigh. I really need to get out more.
Old March 17 2014, 09:34 PM   #506
doubleohfive
Fleet Admiral

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to doubleohfive

FPAlpha wrote: View Post
This is a comedy show and not some existentialist drama about life and bad things that can happen.
No. It's a show that the writers want it to be. Just because it's cloaked in the trappings of a comedy it doesn't mean that it should limit the writers from telling the story they want to tell.

I repeat myself.. it is a comedy show and it should end funny.
Was the M*A*S*H finale funny? Was The Wonder Years finale funny? I seem to remember both had plenty of moments where it was heartfelt and dramatic. There's no reason this sitcom can't end similarly, if that's what the writers want to do. Whether we like it or not is entirely up to us. But how it ends is entirely up to them.
Old March 18 2014, 12:18 AM   #507
JarodRussell
Vice Admiral

Campe98 wrote: View Post
It's a sitcom. But it's a sitcom with heart. I'd rather have an "Awww" moment then a "Haha! LOLz!" moment. Definitely an "Awww" moment than a "Whaaaa! I'm crying like a baby!" moment.

Sigh. I really need to get out more.
The "Awww" moment is when the love of Ted's life, the ONE he was waiting for his entire life, the one he has the most in common with of ALL the women he dated, the one who is the mother of his children, dies? That wouldn't be my definition of "a sitcom with heart". More like a sadistcom.
JarodRussell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 18 2014, 01:10 AM   #508
urbandefault
Captain

urbandefault wrote: View Post

"Uh ... CRAP!"

Addendum:

Mother: "No, you've wasted enough time. I'll do it. KIDS, GET BACK IN HERE!"

And this is how we start "How I Met Your Dad."
Old March 18 2014, 01:14 AM   #509
Campe98
Commodore