RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 139,657
Members: 24,813
Currently online: 555
Newest member: SB118_Pavlova

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies I-X

Star Trek Movies I-X Discuss the first ten big screen outings in this forum!

Old March 15 2014, 04:00 PM   #1
CIOntario
Cadet

Star Trek VI: Time elapsed

Do any of you erudite types know if there is a solid canonical reference to the amount of time that passes DURING The Undiscovered Country?
CIOntario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 15 2014, 04:38 PM   #2
Melakon
Vice Admiral

Re: Star Trek VI: Time elapsed

Short answer: According to IMDB, 110 minutes for the theatrical release, 113 minutes for home video.

Long answer: We can estimate that it's between 2 and 3 months, perhaps longer depending on how long it takes for travel times between destinations, and the tendency for theatrical presentations to compress time for storytelling.

Praxis explodes. Two months later, Starfleet assigns Kirk to rendezvous with Gorkon. After the assassination, Azetbur indicates the Khitomer conference will occur in a week. So Kirk and McCoy's trial, imprisonment and rescue all must have occurred during that week.

Last edited by Melakon; March 15 2014 at 10:10 PM. Reason: Oops, Gorkon not Gowron. 7 hours, 97 views, and nobody noticed.
Melakon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 16 2014, 01:52 AM   #3
Hober Mallow
Commodore

Location: The planet Terminus, site of the Encyclopedia Foundation on the periphery of the galaxy

Or you can defer to VOY's "Flashback," according to which only a couple of days passed.
Old March 16 2014, 08:32 AM   #4
Timo
Admiral

But for an extremely rare once, "Flashback" is explicitly a dream sequence, and a feverish dream at that. And you know what happens to the flow of time in dreams...

I guess the slot where you can insert extra time in ST6 would be between Kirk launching from Earth and rendezvousing with Gorkon's ship. Supposedly, this time interval takes Kirk far away from UFP authorities (the Romulan ale thing) - if we take him literally, at least 1,000 ly away.

Klingons supposedly aren't that far away as such: they are hated next-door neighbors in dramatic terms. But perhaps Gorkon is sailing from the Klingon homeworld to the human homeworld the long way around, rather than blatantly across the most hotly contested section of the border between the empires. He is a politician with eye to the psychological aspects of politics, after all (or else he would have been dead much earlier in the game, for daring to talk peace!). Imagine North Koreans sending an envoy to Seoul in a ship that first goes around Japan, then loops around the peninsula at a great distance, and approaches from the far southwest, for the psychological impact of her not coming from the direction of Pyongyang at all.

Even then, how much time could we insert? A few days of extra sailing, perhaps a week.

Timo Saloniemi
Timo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 16 2014, 11:15 AM   #5
Lance
Commodore

Hober Mallow wrote: View Post
Or you can defer to VOY's "Flashback", according to which only a couple of days passed.
Flashback has got a LOT to answer for.
Lance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 16 2014, 01:42 PM   #6
Mr Light
Admiral

The Klingon Empire is on the Alpha/Beta Quadrant border, so they can't be that close to the core of the Federation.

Mr Light is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 16 2014, 06:13 PM   #7
CIOntario
Cadet

Melakon, your short answer puts you in league with the dastardly Frank Drebbin... The long answer does well with giving a good estimate of the time from 1701-A leaving spacedock to the 'sign-off' at the end, which has always eluded me. Then again, I don't pay attention as closely as I used to. Nor have I invested the time in V and VI that I did in II through IV.

Thank you all for the replies.
CIOntario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 16 2014, 06:25 PM   #8
USS Triumphant
Rear Admiral

Lance wrote: View Post
Hober Mallow wrote: View Post
Or you can defer to VOY's "Flashback", according to which only a couple of days passed.
Flashback has got a LOT to answer for.
VOYAGER has got a LOT to answer for.
Old March 16 2014, 06:34 PM   #9
Shon T'Hara
Lieutenant Commander

Mr Light wrote: View Post
The Klingon Empire is on the Alpha/Beta Quadrant border, so they can't be that close to the core of the Federation.
Unfortunately Enterprise established that it's only four days away at warp 4, which would mean it's at least as close to Earth as Vulcan is (at the end of TMP Scotty says they can get Spock back to Vulcan in four days, and I doubt he meant puttering around at a measly warp 4).
Shon T'Hara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 16 2014, 07:29 PM   #10
Timo
Admiral

Basically, the core of the Federation is defined as being on the A/B border - the idea is that the border runs through Earth. Or Sol. Or something.

None of the plots really pose problems vis-á-vis the idea that Klingons sit right next door to Earth. They are the Federation arch-enemies, after all. It's more difficult to rationalize why Romulans would be far away from Earth, considering they are even older enemies, from back when humans supposedly didn't travel all that far.

(at the end of TMP Scotty says they can get Spock back to Vulcan in four days, and I doubt he meant puttering around at a measly warp 4)
Well, he might have. After all, the ship had just been through all sorts of hell - "We can get you to Vulcan in four days" might be an essentially apologetic statement.

Timo Saloniemi
Old March 16 2014, 08:46 PM   #11
Melakon
Vice Admiral

CIOntario wrote: View Post
Melakon, your short answer puts you in league with the dastardly Frank Drebbin...
Thanks, I was trying to emulate his thinking with that short answer. I liked him better on the original Police Squad! television show over the movies, but they only did 6 episodes or so.
Old March 16 2014, 08:58 PM   #12
Nebusj
Rear Admiral

View Nebusj's Twitter Profile

Timo wrote: View Post
(at the end of TMP Scotty says they can get Spock back to Vulcan in four days, and I doubt he meant puttering around at a measly warp 4)
Well, he might have. After all, the ship had just been through all sorts of hell - "We can get you to Vulcan in four days" might be an essentially apologetic statement.
It must be. After all, Spock got from Vulcan to Earth in the time between the Klingon encounter with Vejur and (a couple hours after) the Enterprise's launching, and that certainly wasn't four days.
Nebusj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 16 2014, 09:18 PM   #13
Timo
Admiral

Spock got to Earth? I thought he met Kirk sort of halfway to the destination - after that wormhole ride, the Enterprise could have been just about anywhere. I think the real question is, how did Spock even manage to locate the ship after that incident?

In any case, when I did the Star Charts Alpha/Beta Quadrant maps, I did take care to choose the route of V'Ger so that it would come from Earth's "lower right", which is where 40 Eri A is also located. It sort of dictated certain things about the Klingon Empire in that book, but the Klingons were already to the lower right in many Okuda/Sternbach onscreen maps, too.

Those maps don't provide an easy answer to how Kirk could be a thousand ly from the authorities in ST6, but there I evoke poetic license.

Timo Saloniemi
Old March 17 2014, 04:19 AM   #14
Nebusj
Rear Admiral

View Nebusj's Twitter Profile

Timo wrote: View Post
Spock got to Earth? I thought he met Kirk sort of halfway to the destination - after that wormhole ride, the Enterprise could have been just about anywhere. I think the real question is, how did Spock even manage to locate the ship after that incident?
Well, they're in the vicinity of Earth. The Enterprise starts from somewhere in the outer parts of the solar system, and jumps to warp one, but doesn't spend more than maybe a minute at it. Decker says explicitly, ``Negative control from inertial lag will continue twenty-two point five seconds before forward velocity slows to sub-light speed.'' [^1] If we take warp one to be light speed, then, they're in the outskirts of Earth's system, plus one light-minute, which is still the outskirts of Earth's system.

Spock undoubtedly found the Enterprise by ordinary sensors; the Enterprise had no particular reason to be running silent, so its ``air traffic control'' transponders would be signaling; and the abortive jump to warp, and falling back out, and explosion of the asteroid would be obvious things to normal sensor scans. (Note that even modern-day sensors could detect a space shuttle launch from as far away as the asteroid belt. You really can't hide in space, unless you have a cloaking device.)

[^1] Thanks, http://www.chakoteya.net/movies/movie1.html
Nebusj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 17 2014, 12:54 PM   #15
Mr Light
Admiral

Hmm, this map does show Earth is on the Alpha/Beta border, and that the Klingons and Romulans are both pretty close.

http://www.sttff.net/images/AST_MAP000.jpg

Mr Light is offline   Reply With Quote