RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 138,340
Posts: 5,353,677
Members: 24,619
Currently online: 540
Newest member: nmatos2005

TrekToday headlines

Sci-Fried To Release New Album
By: T'Bonz on Jul 28

Star Trek/Planet of the Apes Crossover
By: T'Bonz on Jul 28

Star Trek into Darkness Soundtrack
By: T'Bonz on Jul 28

Horse 1, Shatner 0
By: T'Bonz on Jul 28

Drexler TV Alert
By: T'Bonz on Jul 26

Retro Review: His Way
By: Michelle on Jul 26

MicroWarriors Releases Next Week
By: T'Bonz on Jul 25

Ships Of The Line Design Contest
By: T'Bonz on Jul 25

Next Weekend: Shore Leave 36!
By: T'Bonz on Jul 25

True Trek History To Be Penned
By: T'Bonz on Jul 25


Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.


Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > TV & Media

TV & Media Non-Trek television, movies, books, music, etc.

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old March 16 2014, 06:53 PM   #211
Campe98
Commodore
 
Campe98's Avatar
 
Location: Tennessee
Re: Veronica Mars Movie - Kickstarter

This is unprecedented though. How do you measure success on a film that has a pretty decent sized fan base, an extremely limited release in theaters and a potentially large following on VOD? You can't base it on box office receipts alone. Plus, WB didn't put much up on the film cost-wise, nor did it have an advertising budget to speak of. Ultimately, wouldn't ever penny that came in on this be considered pure profit?
__________________
"Living is easy with eyes closed."
John Lennon, Strawberry Fields Forever
Campe98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 16 2014, 07:10 PM   #212
Stone_Cold_Sisko
Vice Admiral
 
Re: Veronica Mars Movie - Kickstarter

Wow the movie is available on iTunes as we'll. I wonder how much it makes on VOD.
Stone_Cold_Sisko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 16 2014, 07:27 PM   #213
bigdaddy
Vice Admiral
 
Location: Space Massachusetts
Re: Veronica Mars Movie - Kickstarter

Campe98 wrote: View Post
Ultimately, wouldn't ever penny that came in on this be considered pure profit?
No because making the movie, putting it in theaters, and ads were all taken care of from WB and would have pst more than the 5.7 million.

There is a number in place that would make a sequel happen, and it's not a low number. The sequel would not be paid for by the fans so it needs to be shown that this is actually a franchise and not some one off fluke.

But it will be cheaper than say the Firefly franchise because of no sets or special effects.

But I thought I read somewhere it opens up in more theaters next weekend, so that would be nice. I'd go with my mom (I made her a fan!) if it played anywhere within 50ish miles.
__________________
The powerful play goes on, and you may contribute a verse.
bigdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 16 2014, 07:42 PM   #214
Aldo
Admiral
 
Aldo's Avatar
 
Location: Somewhere Out there beneath the pale moonlight.
Re: Veronica Mars Movie - Kickstarter

bigdaddy wrote: View Post
Aldo wrote: View Post
I'm starting to suspect this is how non-Firefly Fans felt when trying to talk about Serenity with Brown Coats.

I asked a simple question, and true I didn't specify, but it was kind of directed at people that, you know, have actually seen the movie and could answer my question.
You're question was does a sequel movie have spoilers for the show that came before it. The answer is "Duh", I don't need to watch the movie to know that. So don't give me attitude because you asked such a stupid question.

It might interest you to know that I did skip the movie, at least until I'm finished with the show. I had a chat with a friend who convinced me that the movie would spoil the show. And oh yeah, he was much more polite about it than you were. It's called tact, look it up.
__________________
Don't believe everything I say.
Aldo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 16 2014, 07:49 PM   #215
bigdaddy
Vice Admiral
 
Location: Space Massachusetts
Re: Veronica Mars Movie - Kickstarter

It's called common sense. Look into it.

I wouldn't have been rude, but really, you were being bitchy and lacked any basic common sense. Of course the movie would spoil the show, I don't need to have seen the movie to know that, everyone on the planet besides you understood that.
__________________
The powerful play goes on, and you may contribute a verse.
bigdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 16 2014, 08:01 PM   #216
Aldo
Admiral
 
Aldo's Avatar
 
Location: Somewhere Out there beneath the pale moonlight.
Re: Veronica Mars Movie - Kickstarter

I had thought the movie might have been a bit more vague about certain things from the series, as I haven't read any reviews that say it outright spoils the show. That's why I just wanted a response from someone who had seen it. But I now realize I might have asked a bit too early on Friday as most of the posters in this thread probably hadn't seen it yet.
__________________
Don't believe everything I say.
Aldo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 16 2014, 08:54 PM   #217
Campe98
Commodore
 
Campe98's Avatar
 
Location: Tennessee
Re: Veronica Mars Movie - Kickstarter

bigdaddy wrote: View Post
Campe98 wrote: View Post
Ultimately, wouldn't ever penny that came in on this be considered pure profit?
No because making the movie, putting it in theaters, and ads were all taken care of from WB and would have pst more than the 5.7 million.

There is a number in place that would make a sequel happen, and it's not a low number. The sequel would not be paid for by the fans so it needs to be shown that this is actually a franchise and not some one off fluke.
No snark intended, but where do you get your information on the advertising budget or the number needed for a sequel from? You're making claims with nothing to back it up and I don't necessarily believe it. A Forbes article states much differently, particularly for the advertising budget. As this is a lengthy article on the weekend box office, I'll just quote the relevant passage:

Forbes Article wrote:
The most interesting new release was of course the 291 screen release of Warner Bros.’ Veronica Mars movie. As you know, the film was a feature continuation of the beloved but poorly rated television show. The film version, coming seven years after the end of its third and final season, was funded mostly by hardcore fans using Kickstarter. The film actually debuted in 291 theaters and Video On Demand on the same day, unheard of for a major studio release. Warner had to rent out many of those theaters as the big chains generally don’t play movies that are available on VOD. I don’t have VOD numbers and may not for awhile, but the film’s theatrical release opened to $2 million, or just over a third of its $5.7 million budget.

With $1m on Friday, it’s arguably the least-shocking 2.0x multiplier in modern history. Maybe it has something vaguely resembling legs and gets to $6m, or maybe it’s the most front-loaded movie of all time and it’s done after today. It will be interesting to watch because, again, there is just no precedent for this. Of course, at least some of that $5.7m raised was “compensated” via digital downloads of the film, so that’s a sizable chunk of the VOD audience already accounted for. Again, this is a strange release, completely without precedent in box office history.

There just aren’t a lot of “film continuation of cancelled cult TV show funded directly by the fans and then given a limited theatrical release and same-day national VOD availability” examples to compare this to. Those who wanted to this got the movie they wanted. Aside from complaints about investors being unable to access their digital copy via Warner Bros.’ flawed Flixter program (Warner will refund those who gave up and bought the film elsewhere), this was an unmitigated success for the fans and for the investors. Warner Bros. barely spent a dime on advertising, and yet they will still reap most of the profits. For what it’s worth, considering how many fans already bought the film digitally, Warner better make sure the blu-ray is crammed with special features.
__________________
"Living is easy with eyes closed."
John Lennon, Strawberry Fields Forever
Campe98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 16 2014, 08:54 PM   #218
Turtletrekker
Vice Admiral
 
Turtletrekker's Avatar
 
Location: Tacoma, Washington
Re: Veronica Mars Movie - Kickstarter

Hell, I live five miles from a theater that's showing it, and I still went with VOD.

Cheaper, more convenient, I can pause when I like, I don't have to turn off my phone and snacks aren't outrageously expensive.
__________________
I hate having thoughts on the top of my head. They usually jump off and commit suicide.
Turtletrekker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 16 2014, 09:07 PM   #219
PsychoPere
Vice Admiral
 
PsychoPere's Avatar
 
Re: Veronica Mars Movie - Kickstarter

Rob Thomas also considers the number necessary for a sequel to be "a reachable goal", while admitting that it's not the "easiest goal in the world."

The main thrust of the article is discussing the type of "feel" that Thomas would want a sequel to have, if one were to move forward.
PsychoPere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 16 2014, 09:44 PM   #220
Campe98
Commodore
 
Campe98's Avatar
 
Location: Tennessee
Re: Veronica Mars Movie - Kickstarter

One thing to add on my argument. Most films are distributed digitally. I have a friend who used to manage an independent movie theater and she indicated that typically the price of a catalog title is fairly typically cheap. They send you a hard drive with the film on it usually around the reasonable price of $300. Let's assume that the licensing fee is a moot point as WB is handling the distribution and renting the theaters. A hard drive holding a digital file would cost about $150. Nonetheless, also let's assume that WB has at least 300 of these sitting around. I think it's a fair assumption. So, let's call that a wash. And just say it costs $50 to ship the movies to the theaters. So that's $14,550 for shipping to 291 theaters.

Veronica Mars is showing exclusively at the AMC theaters this weekend. Let's say that renting a theater for 2 hours is $500. Pretty reasonable. But also, assuming that it's going to 291 AMC screens probably would get them a bit of a discount. So let's assume $300 a screening. Let's then assume it shows five times a day per screen. For three days, that puts that cost at $1.3 million. And if they don't get a discount, that puts it at $2.2 million for 3 days. Then let's assume they spent $1 million on advertising. So, we are talking probably $2.3 to $3.2 million.

Also, the Kickstarter campaign was only asking for $2 million which tells me the overall price to make the film was fairly low. While they probably utilized more money towards production, getting $5.7 million probably took some of the money towards things like distribution, advertising and theater rental.

Granted... this is all assumption on my part.
__________________
"Living is easy with eyes closed."
John Lennon, Strawberry Fields Forever

Last edited by Campe98; March 16 2014 at 09:53 PM. Reason: Fixed an error.
Campe98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 16 2014, 10:06 PM   #221
Guy Gardener
Fleet Admiral
 
Guy Gardener's Avatar
 
Location: In the lap of squalor I assure you.
Re: Veronica Mars Movie - Kickstarter

How much did
cost?

Did you see who his assistant was?

Sure she's only 23, but I was wow, who is that Gorgeous nerd!?

And now I have to go back to watching her on The Middle next week where she's playing a 14 year old, still consumed by these confused demanding feelings.
__________________
"Glitter is the herpes of arts and craft."

Troy Yingst. My Life as Liz
Guy Gardener is online now   Reply With Quote
Old March 16 2014, 11:02 PM   #222
bigdaddy
Vice Admiral
 
Location: Space Massachusetts
Re: Veronica Mars Movie - Kickstarter

And it would, indeed, take some luck because a follow-up is “so not an automatic,” admits Thomas. The dollar figure that needs to be reached is “not the easiest goal in the world. But it’s a reachable goal.”
http://tvline.com/2014/03/16/veronic...uel-chinatown/

Because once again this was a fan funded movie, it Rob Thomas made the movie he wanted Veronica would have been an FBI agent. Didn't because of fans paying for it.

The next movie won't (or shouldn't) be fan funded, so the first one would have to make say 10 million or whatever to make a sequel possible. It's not just making
__________________
The powerful play goes on, and you may contribute a verse.
bigdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 16 2014, 11:47 PM   #223
Campe98
Commodore
 
Campe98's Avatar
 
Location: Tennessee
Re: Veronica Mars Movie - Kickstarter

$10 million? Not bloody likely. Even if it were to get the $2.5 million they were predicting this weekend? Wouldn't happen. This movie is not even playing in every major market. It is only playing in AMC theaters at the moment and there are a lot of areas that don't have that chain. (Here's the list. Kinda lopsided, don't you think?) Again, it's not playing where I'm living -- the Greater Nashville area. It's not even playing in my state! Granted, I just moved from Peoria, Illinois and it's all over the state there... but, ya know, it ain't playing in Peoria.

So, as I've been trying to say, bigdaddy, and you've been ignoring for what are normally fair rules about film:

Typical box office rules do not apply here.

You cannot utilize box office results alone in order to prove whether this movie is successful or not. People will not necessarily travel for this. You have to take VOD into account here. I paid $7 to rent this sucker at home. I'm about to put down $20 so I can own my own digital copy of it this weekend, just to put in for the cause of seeing a sequel. And we aren't going to see those numbers for awhile. We may not see them at all.

I'm ultimately not saying that you're wrong. We may not see a sequel. I'd say we're 50/50 right now still. But I'm not willing to call gloom and doom until we see how it did in people's homes.
__________________
"Living is easy with eyes closed."
John Lennon, Strawberry Fields Forever

Last edited by Campe98; March 16 2014 at 11:59 PM.
Campe98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 17 2014, 12:44 AM   #224
Corran Horn
Vice Admiral
 
Corran Horn's Avatar
 
Location: I-L
Re: Veronica Mars Movie - Kickstarter

selina wrote: View Post
CorporalClegg wrote: View Post
So I'm confused. Is the B plot supposed to be resolved in the novel?

I have to ask as well: Which B plot? Are you referring to



If so, I don't think it will be resolved in the book. It's more likely that it sets the tone for a possible sequel.
Well, that
__________________
"I don't drink, I don't smoke, I don't do drugs. I play video games, which I think is a far superior addiction to any of those other ones. "
Corran Horn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 17 2014, 09:43 PM   #225
bigdaddy
Vice Admiral
 
Location: Space Massachusetts
Re: Veronica Mars Movie - Kickstarter

The movie earned an estimated $2 million from 291 theaters, EW.com reports, a number that apparently sounds good to Warner Bros.’ executive vice president of theatrical distribution Jeff Goldstein.
“In so many of their complexes, Veronica Mars was the No. 1 movie for the entire weekend, far exceeding the next closest movie,” Goldstein tells the site. “We haven’t had [a sequel] conversation yet. We wanted to get through this weekend and then sit down and figure out where we’re going. … In a week we’ll have a better sense.”
I'd like to know how he figured it was number one somehow, but whatever I'll take it.

http://tvline.com/2014/03/17/veronic...ening-weekend/
__________________
The powerful play goes on, and you may contribute a verse.
bigdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Tags
kickstarter, kristen bell, kristen bell is hot, veronica mars

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 02:13 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
FireFox 2+ or Internet Explorer 7+ highly recommended.