Horse 1, Shatner 0
By: T'Bonz on Jul 28

Drexler TV Alert
By: T'Bonz on Jul 26

Retro Review: His Way
By: Michelle on Jul 26

MicroWarriors Releases Next Week
By: T'Bonz on Jul 25

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Gaming

Gaming Non-Star Trek Gaming

Old March 7 2014, 02:56 AM   #61
Corran Horn
Vice Admiral

Re: Batman: Arkham Knight

Reverend wrote: View Post
Mind you, this is a Batman game so it's likely to take place at night so exactly how many people do we think are likely to be out and about in apparently lawless neighbourhoods at 2am?
Origins was a little too large of a map to make the 'nobody would be out' argument.
Old March 7 2014, 03:21 AM   #62
Hartzilla2007
Vice Admiral

Corran Horn wrote: View Post
Reverend wrote: View Post
Mind you, this is a Batman game so it's likely to take place at night so exactly how many people do we think are likely to be out and about in apparently lawless neighbourhoods at 2am?
Origins was a little too large of a map to make the 'nobody would be out' argument.
No the assassins on the loose, nut jobs running around, and the snow storm probably would though.

Besides civilians running around hasn't really been a big thing in the Arkham games.
Hartzilla2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 9 2014, 11:52 AM   #63
Runetouch
Lieutenant Commander

So glad that Rocksteady is making it.. I trust them.
Runetouch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 16 2014, 05:30 PM   #64
RoJoHen
Awesome

An interview about the story of Arkham Knight. It also addresses the issue of having civilians wandering the streets that we were discussing earlier.

http://batman-news.com/2014/03/07/ro...t-story-video/
Old March 16 2014, 08:46 PM   #65
Owain Taggart
Rear Admiral

I actually think civilians would add to the experience and possibly open up new opportunities. Infamous had civilians that you could either kill or revive to give the player experience towards unlocking new powers. They could create random encounters similar to RDR, hearing them call out for help and hearing it from a distance or rooftops, which could end up being either traps or genuine calls for help, and experience varying depending on how fast is one to react.
Owain Taggart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 16 2014, 08:55 PM   #66
Timby
GIVE ME YOUR FACE

Owain Taggart wrote: View Post
I actually think civilians would add to the experience and possibly open up new opportunities. Infamous had civilians that you could either kill or revive to give the player experience towards unlocking new powers. They could create random encounters similar to RDR, hearing them call out for help and hearing it from a distance or rooftops, which could end up being either traps or genuine calls for help, and experience varying depending on how fast is one to react.
That's basically how the "Crime in Progress" system worked in Arkham Origins. Having the streets filled with civilians just doesn't work (especially when the Batmobile is in play -- the "everyone magically jumps out of the way" gimmick was incredibly poor and silly in L.A. Noire; it really doesn't fly when you're driving a four-wheeled black death machine).
Timby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 29 2014, 05:12 AM   #67
Chris3123
Vice Admiral

Here's Rocksteady's Dax Ginn speaking a bit on the Batmobile and the Arkham Knight. Nothing very revealing, though.

Chris3123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 30 2014, 11:46 PM   #68
Shakaar
Captain

I may be in the minority, but I think it would be nice if the game took place over a few days instead of all in one night. They could maybe throw in a couple of day sequences where you have some mission to accomplish as Bruce Wayne or Matches Malone. These could be used to flesh out the narrative as well as adding life to the city by showing its population occasionally.

At the very least, at night we could see more police patrolling the streets and maybe actually see them accomplishing something against the thugs on every street corner. It seems that so far in the series, you only really see the cops when you are either saving their butts or they are trying to kill you.
Old March 31 2014, 06:52 AM   #69
RoJoHen
Awesome

Shakaar wrote: View Post
I may be in the minority, but I think it would be nice if the game took place over a few days instead of all in one night. They could maybe throw in a couple of day sequences where you have some mission to accomplish as Bruce Wayne or Matches Malone. These could be used to flesh out the narrative as well as adding life to the city by showing its population occasionally.
I've thought that too. I'd love to see this city during the day, and it might be fun to play a couple missions as Bruce Wayne trying to investigate things.
Old April 21 2014, 02:56 AM   #70
RoJoHen
Awesome

Meanwhile, in Gotham City...

The DLC for Arkham Origins "Cold, Cold Heart" comes out on Tuesday. While Origins itself wasn't the most exciting installment of this franchise, I'm still pretty pumped for another adventure.

http://batman-news.com/2014/04/09/fi...old-heart-dlc/
Old May 21 2014, 05:40 PM   #71
RoJoHen
Awesome

New gameplay for Arkham Knight.

Old May 22 2014, 07:55 PM   #72
Corran Horn
Vice Admiral

Can you use the Batmobile to plow into mobs? I sure hope so.
Old May 22 2014, 10:06 PM   #73
Timby
GIVE ME YOUR FACE

Yes, because Batman running over people with his car is such a core part of his character.

Just as the removal of citizens from Gotham is a necessary conceit for the overall game design, I will bet money that criminals will leap out of the way when the Batmobile is bearing down on them, L.A. Noire-style. I'll even bet a premium membership on it.
Old May 22 2014, 10:31 PM   #74
Corran Horn
Vice Admiral

Timby wrote: View Post
Yes, because Batman running over people with his car is such a core part of his character.
Yeah, that'd never be in an Arkham game.
Old May 22 2014, 11:11 PM   #75
Timby
GIVE ME YOUR FACE

Timby wrote: View Post
Yeah, that'd never be in an Arkham game.
Because a cutscene about a major villain (from several years ago, during which the studio has revised its philosophy multiple times) equals a gameplay concept. Got it.