Cumberbatch To Voice Khan
By: T'Bonz on Aug 19

Shaun And Ed On Phineas and Ferb
By: T'Bonz on Aug 18

New Ships Coming From Official Starships Collection

Trek Stars Take On Ice Bucket Challenge

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old March 15 2014, 06:27 PM   #691
davejames
Vice Admiral

Re: "Beware the Batman" in 2013! New Animated Series

Seriously? With 24 hours of programming available, Cartoon Network can't find a place anywhere to squeeze in the last 15 episodes? Is the umpteenth rerun of Adventure Time (whatever the hell that is) really going to pull in a massively better rating than a new episode of BTB?

I was not all that terribly attached to the show, but it's still bizarre to me why some of these decisions get made the way they do.
davejames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 15 2014, 07:48 PM   #692
Christopher
Writer

davejames wrote: View Post
Seriously? With 24 hours of programming available, Cartoon Network can't find a place anywhere to squeeze in the last 15 episodes? Is the umpteenth rerun of Adventure Time (whatever the hell that is) really going to pull in a massively better rating than a new episode of BTB?
By the narrowly targeted standards CN uses, yes. I discussed above how their thinking works these days -- how they only want to appeal to young boys and will cancel any show that appeals to older viewers or girls, even if its ratings are strong. Their advertisers target young boys, so high ratings among other demographics don't matter if those advertisers aren't moving their product. Of course, why CN doesn't just, oh, get other advertisers that are willing to market to older boys and female viewers remains a mystery. They're shooting themselves in the foot by alienating whole categories of viewers, shrinking their audience base to fit their advertisers rather than growing their advertiser base to fit their audience. But that's their policy, and that's why they don't want older-skewing shows like BtB on their network anymore.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 15 2014, 09:15 PM   #693
Mr. Adventure
Admiral

oops, double posted while editing

Last edited by Mr. Adventure; March 15 2014 at 10:13 PM.
Mr. Adventure is online now   Reply With Quote
Old March 15 2014, 09:17 PM   #694
Mr. Adventure
Admiral

I was not all that terribly attached to the show, but it's still bizarre to me why some of these decisions get made the way they do.
They used to burn off those episodes at some point. I wonder if now if unaired episodes makes the content more lucrative to the secondary markets like Blu-Ray and Netflix.

I would point out that Cartoon Network is split between CN and Toonami/Adult Swim so they don't have the full 24 hours exactly. I know it's all arbitrary in one sense but the two divisions are handled and treated separately internally. I don't think the CN side could decide to burn them at midnight without working with the Adult Swim side, for example.

I don't understand their scheduling decisions either. Scooby Doo Mystery Incorporated would have new episodes shown at 2PM weekdays with so little notice the DVR guide and TV listing sites wouldn't even register they were airing. Green Lantern was replaced with a rerun one week where the showrunner only heard about it from Twitter (this after doing a USA Today interview promoting the episode). GL and Young Justice were later yanked in a similarly unceremonious manner.

I understand business is business but I wonder if at some point hosing loyal viewers and creators won't come back to bite them at some point. It's not so much that the shows get canceled but the way it happens. Maybe for the young male audience they want it doesn't matter?

Spike pulled Blade: The Series for the same reason, it was doing OK rating wise but it was too popular with women.
Mr. Adventure is online now   Reply With Quote
Old March 15 2014, 10:05 PM   #695
Christopher
Writer

Mr. Adventure wrote: View Post
Spike pulled Blade: The Series for the same reason, it was doing OK rating wise but it was too popular with women.
I just don't understand that kind of thinking. Surely appealing to multiple segments of the audience is better than appealing to just one, because then you get more viewers in total. Deliberately trying to avoid appealing to half your potential audience just doesn't make sense to me.

Old March 18 2014, 04:36 AM   #696
JD
Admiral

I didn't realize demographics were so important. I always thought it was just the base numbers that were important, and the demographics were more of just a bit of interesting side information.

EDIT: I noticed that Adventure Time appears to be a big hit with adults along with kids, but it appears to be a huge seller when it comes to collectables, T-Shirts, and things like that, so I guess that makes it OK.
Old March 18 2014, 04:57 AM   #697
Christopher
Writer

JD wrote: View Post
I didn't realize demographics were so important. I always thought it was just the base numbers that were important, and the demographics were more of just a bit of interesting side information.
Nope. The money to make shows comes from advertisers, who pay for commercial time on those shows because they believe it will get people to buy their products and make them a net profit. So they want the shows to appeal to the particular category of people that their products are aimed at. Getting lots of viewers won't help the advertisers if those viewers aren't interested in buying what the advertisers are selling.

Although CN does seem to be bizarrely narrow in its choice of advertisers these days. As I think I said already, instead of cancelling popular shows that don't fit their sponsors' preferred demographic, why not just get more sponsors with a broader demographic focus?

Old March 18 2014, 02:48 PM   #698
Peach Wookiee
Cuddly Mod of Doom

Maybe that thinking will change when Snyder goes. We'll get variety again.
Peach Wookiee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 23 2014, 04:25 AM   #699
Samurai8472
Vice Admiral

New Zealand is still airing episodes, and they even upload them on their official network website:

http://tvnz.co.nz/beware-the-batman/...-video-5853400

Unfortunately I can't view the episodes

Last edited by Samurai8472; March 23 2014 at 04:37 AM.
Samurai8472 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 23 2014, 06:00 PM   #700
Corran Horn
Vice Admiral

Giancarlo Volpe has said many times that GL:TAS got canceled because it didn't have a toy line to support its costs. They couldn't land one because of the failure of the toys from the feature film - and those toys are *still* on clearance shelves at our TRU.
Old March 23 2014, 11:28 PM   #701
Dream
Admiral

Corran Horn wrote: View Post
Giancarlo Volpe has said many times that GL:TAS got canceled because it didn't have a toy line to support its costs. They couldn't land one because of the failure of the toys from the feature film - and those toys are *still* on clearance shelves at our TRU.
I still can't believe how badly that movie FLOPPED!
Old March 24 2014, 10:50 PM   #702
Captain Craig
Vice Admiral

The irony is an animated GL:TAS toyline would've sold decently well I'd wager. The tie-in quality to the show was better which makes having them more appealing.
Captain Craig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 24 2014, 11:37 PM   #703
JD
Admiral

If the Wal-Mart where I work got in GL:TAS or Young Justice action figures, I honestly don't think I would have been able to resist getting a couple of them. As it is we got in Arkham City/Origins figures, and I'm finding some of those hard to resist.
Old March 24 2014, 11:44 PM   #704
Corran Horn
Vice Admiral

Captain Craig wrote: View Post
The irony is an animated GL:TAS toyline would've sold decently well I'd wager. The tie-in quality to the show was better which makes having them more appealing.
My kids loved the show. I had to (well, that's overstating it) go to ebay and get the DCAU Lanterns that they had released. Hal Jordan was really only available via kitbashing a Sinestro/Abin-Sur/Hal in pilot suit release they'd done some years ago. We were lucky enough to get Razer out of a Happy Meal or something - he's original to the show.
Old March 27 2014, 02:20 AM   #705
JD
Admiral

The Beware The Batman comic is actually still coming out. I wonder how much longer it will last?