Beltran Introduces Shakespeare To Theater Group
By: T'Bonz on Oct 16

Burton To Be Honored at Facets Boo! Bash
By: T'Bonz on Oct 16

New Trek Puzzles
By: T'Bonz on Oct 15

Star Trek Online: Delta Rising
By: T'Bonz on Oct 15

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > Deep Space Nine

Deep Space Nine What We Left Behind, we will always have here.

Old March 11 2014, 03:29 PM   #151
The Fiend
Torturing Savage Dragon

Re: DS9 on blu ray?

Yeah, there's a bit too much of a George Lucas mentality going on. This is supposed to be a remastering, not a re-imagining.
The Fiend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 11 2014, 06:16 PM   #152
Hober Mallow
Commodore

Location: The planet Terminus, site of the Encyclopedia Foundation on the periphery of the galaxy

MakeshiftPython wrote: View Post
It's the same mentality that brought on colorization of black and white films.
Exactly, only there's actually more resolution on film than there would be on a 1080 CGI effect, so it's like advocating taking modern color films and making them black and white in order to appeal to a modern audience, which doesn't make sense on a superficial level. Again, Shaka's going to have to explain the logic of that, because I'm just not getting it.
Mr. Laser Beam wrote: View Post
Hober Mallow wrote: View Post
Shaka Zulu wrote: View Post
It's time for people to accept that HDTV is here, and that in order for older shows to be aired and accepted in the new medium, they may have to be modified somewhat.
Why would model shots on film whose resolution is already far greater than your HDTV is even capable of displaying need to be modified? In order for older shows to be accepted we have to give the audience worse shots with less resolution? I'm not quite following that logic.
In DS9's case, it's the fact that all of the editing was done on videotape. That destroyed the HD resolution right away. From then on, DS9 maxed out at 480i. That's why it has to be remastered for HD.
That's not what we're talking about. Shaka is saying the model shots should not be remastered in HD, but should be thrown out in favor of digital CGI shots, because... well, I'm not sure why. That's the part I'm not getting.
Old March 11 2014, 06:46 PM   #153
The Fiend
Torturing Savage Dragon

Me neither. What they are asking for is a different TV show.
Old March 11 2014, 07:08 PM   #154
dub
Fleet Captain

So the shots of the station during the battle sequences with lots of ships -- were those all model ships that were shot and duplicated in the final render, or was it CGI mixed with models? I would imagine back then that mixing model and CGI ships on the same shot would be a bad idea, right? Anyway, this is cool to learn. I didn't realize that the last shot of the series was the only CGI station. Cool stuff.
dub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 11 2014, 08:48 PM   #155
DrOBoogie1
Lieutenant

So, if we were taking bets, when do you suppose DS9 season 1 could come on blu-ray? December? February '15? Next spring? I can see an argument for each of these possibilities.

DVD Comment
DrOBoogie1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 11 2014, 09:03 PM   #156
LOKAI of CHERON
Commodore

Location: Post-apocalyptic ruins of my once mighty Homeworld.

DrOBoogie1 wrote: View Post
So, if we were taking bets, when do you suppose DS9 season 1 could come on blu-ray? December? February '15? Next spring? I can see an argument for each of these possibilities.
Not to put a downer on things, but I don't think DS9 is a lock for Blu-ray at this point. Unfortunately, "not at all" is still a definite possibility.

I really hope not though, as I'd still be there day and date despite the show being my least favoured iteration of Trek.
Old March 11 2014, 09:22 PM   #157
dub
Fleet Captain

We're still waiting on Season 6 & 7 of TNG to be released, so it's going to be a very premature guess. Looks like both of those will be released this year. My guess for DS9 would be YES we'll get them (), we'll start to hear news about the release this summer, and Season 1 will be released either in time for Christmas 2014, or possibly some time early next year. That's my uninformed guess! :P Would it be unheard of for them to include a DS9 sneak peak on the Season 7 TNG release?
dub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 11 2014, 10:00 PM   #158
jimbotron
Fleet Captain

Thankfully not much of early DS9 used CGI, with just Odo and the wormhole. The cost should steadily ramp up as the show goes along.

Setting up distribution deals with Netflix/Hulu/Amazon should help. I'm sure Blu-ray sales are only a part of the overall big picture.

TNG-HD was announced in September 2011, and season 1 was released in July 2012. So if they were to announce DS9 shortly after TNG season 7 was out, then season 1 would come out around September 2015. That's IF they announce it right away. I'm sure there will be months of rumoring before that.
jimbotron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 13 2014, 10:37 AM   #159
Start Wreck
Fleet Captain

I'm guessing that CBS wants the show in HD, and I'm guessing that they don't particularly want to lay off all the extra CBS-Digital staff who have working on Next Gen for the past three years... so from a logicistical perspective, I would say if DS9 HD is going to happen, it's going to happen sooner rather than later, striking while the iron is hot. They might even be scouring the vaults for the film reels now.

Totally optimistic guess on my part, but hey, what's the alternative? They finish TNG and everyone stops working and goes home?
Start Wreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 13 2014, 02:59 PM   #160
The Fiend
Torturing Savage Dragon

It would make sense for them to do it now with the staff they currently have in place. At this point they are a well oiled machine and it would a waste of resources and talent not to plow through and get the remaining series done.
Old March 14 2014, 05:53 PM   #161
davejames
Vice Admiral

Maybe, but it's not like they couldn't take the same staff and use them to remaster some other, non-Trek series out there....
davejames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 15 2014, 09:09 PM   #162
George Steinbrenner
Fleet Admiral

View George Steinbrenner's Twitter Profile

Start Wreck wrote: View Post
Mr. Laser Beam wrote: View Post
In DS9's case, it's the fact that all of the editing was done on videotape. That destroyed the HD resolution right away. From then on, DS9 maxed out at 480i. That's why it has to be remastered for HD.
That explains why it needs to be remastered; it doesn't explain why it needs to be modified.
There are certain things that are obvious mistakes and MUST be modified, such as:

- the second Defiant still having the first one's NX-74205 registry number

- all those ships with no names or numbers at all, particularly Galaxy-class ships in the battle scenes

But those are relatively few.
It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion.
George Steinbrenner is online now   Reply With Quote
Old March 15 2014, 11:05 PM   #163
Rarewolf
Rear Admiral

Hober Mallow;9347230T wrote:
hat's not what we're talking about. Shaka is saying the model shots should not be remastered in HD, but should be thrown out in favor of digital CGI shots, because... well, I'm not sure why. That's the part I'm not getting.
Well a lot of stock footage was reused many times. If its a case of using the same footage for the nth time, or creating a new CG alternate to use sometimes, I don't see the harm.

And what about standardising the Badlands?
Old March 16 2014, 12:05 AM   #164
Robert Comsol
Commodore

dub wrote: View Post
Would it be unheard of for them to include a DS9 sneak peak on the Season 7 TNG release?
Sound like the logical thing to me and a golden opportunity. If there wasn't one, I'd be worried.

Which brings me instantly to the question foremost on my mind:

How are the TNG-R sales going?

I remember loud an clear the message along the lines, if you want to see DS9 in HD you'd better buy TNG-R first.

TNG-R sales figures would probably be the deciding factor.

Bob
Robert Comsol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 16 2014, 12:40 AM   #165
LOKAI of CHERON
Commodore

Location: Post-apocalyptic ruins of my once mighty Homeworld.

Robert Comsol wrote: View Post
Which brings me instantly to the question foremost on my mind:

How are the TNG-R sales going?

I remember loud an clear the message along the lines, if you want to see DS9 in HD you'd better buy TNG-R first.

TNG-R sales figures would probably be the deciding factor.
I really can't give you a link, but I'm certain I read on this very board something to the effect that early seasons had sold like proverbial hotcakes - but sales had slowed down subsequently. I'm pretty sure a link was included.

I do know ENT Blu-ray sales have not been stellar. These indicators give me cause to question whether a DS9 and/or VOY Blu-ray project would be commercially viable.

As I said above, I hope I'm wrong - particularly with VOY.