TV Alert: Pine On Tonight Show
By: T'Bonz on Dec 22

Retro Review: The Emperor’s New Cloak
By: Michelle on Dec 20

Star Trek Opera
By: T'Bonz on Dec 19

New Abrams Project
By: T'Bonz on Dec 18

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Gaming

Gaming Non-Star Trek Gaming

Old March 13 2014, 08:39 PM   #2326
AlphaMan
Rear Admiral

Re: Mass Effect 3

I just finished my "definitive playthrough" of ME2 and will start ME3 again in a few weeks.
AlphaMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 13 2014, 09:12 PM   #2327
Hanukkah Solo
Admiral

I actually recently started a "definitive playthrough" a couple of months ago, too. Finished ME1 and ME2 but stalled at ME3.
Hanukkah Solo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 13 2014, 11:39 PM   #2328
-Brett-
Rear Admiral

My "definitive" trilogy run started about six months ago, and I'm only about halfway through ME2. Too many other games.
-Brett- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 14 2014, 12:56 AM   #2329
Reverend
Rear Admiral

I finished my *definitive* playthrough a year ago when Citadel came out. It was with my very first Shepard, imported all the way through the trilogy from my first blind playthrough after picking up the game for cheep in a steam sale.

My other Shepherds may have done things a little more interestingly, or efficiently in terms of upgrades and character builds. They may be classes that I found more fun to play as--first time though, I have no clue what a "sentinel" or a "vanguard" was, so I stuck with the boring familiar soldier--and they may not have made as many "mistakes", but that first Shepard will always be my *definitive* one and who's save file I fully intend to import again into ME4 if at all possible.
Reverend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 14 2014, 05:04 AM   #2330
Hartzilla2007
Vice Admiral

Reverend wrote: View Post
but that first Shepard will always be my *definitive* one and who's save file I fully intend to import again into ME4 if at all possible.
Outside of the PC I'm not sure how they can include the ability to import from Mass Effect 3 since Mass Effect 1,2, and 3 are on the Xbox 360 and the Playstation 3 respectfully where as Mass Effect 4 is likely to be on the on the Xbox One and Playstation 4 respectfully.
Hartzilla2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 14 2014, 05:23 AM   #2331
Hanukkah Solo
Admiral

Hopefully with ME4 they'll do something similar to what the Dragon Age team is doing with the Dragon Age Keep system. From what I can tell you'll apparently be able to set choices for what came before in the previous games without having to worry about importing any saves. Makes sense with the jump to next gen consoles.
Hanukkah Solo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 14 2014, 12:25 PM   #2332
Reverend
Rear Admiral

^Knowing our luck there'll just be a "pick a colour" screen in the character creator.

But yeah, I'm hoping the intent is to use a version of the Dragon Keep to upload your saves.
Old March 14 2014, 12:40 PM   #2333
Corran Horn
Vice Admiral

Skywalker wrote: View Post
Hopefully with ME4 they'll do something similar to what the Dragon Age team is doing with the Dragon Age Keep system. From what I can tell you'll apparently be able to set choices for what came before in the previous games without having to worry about importing any saves. Makes sense with the jump to next gen consoles.
KotOR II basically had you go through dialogue trees that told the game the choices you made in the original game.
Old March 14 2014, 04:56 PM   #2334
TheGodBen
Rear Admiral

My other Shepherds may have done things a little more interestingly, or efficiently in terms of upgrades and character builds. They may be classes that I found more fun to play as--first time though, I have no clue what a "sentinel" or a "vanguard" was, so I stuck with the boring familiar soldier--and they may not have made as many "mistakes", but that first Shepard will always be my *definitive* one and who's save file I fully intend to import again into ME4 if at all possible.
That's my opinion as well. Benedict Shepard was ugly, he let the Council die because he thought it would make the fight against Sovereign easier, he got Thane killed by failing to understand how the vent sequence worked, he murdered Mordin and was later forced to murder Wrex, he failed to achieve peace between the Quarians and the Geth (which I still don't understand as I had all of the requirements for peace), but he was my definitive Shepard. He spared the Rachni twice, he got the rest of the SR-2 crew off the Collector base, he saved the Collector base (which I will once again point out awards 10 more EMS points than destroying it ), he destroyed the Reapers, somehow survived (which I'm actually disappointed by), and he punched Khalisah al-Jilani twice.

I had 4 characters ready to import into ME3 when it released: my definitive character, anti-definitive, pure paragon, and pure renegade. I finished off the fourth run about a month ago. I want to do at least one more run through the entire trilogy with an eclectic collection of choices, but I probably wont do that until later this year, or maybe next.
Old March 15 2014, 12:56 AM   #2335
Reverend
Rear Admiral

^ For the Quarrian/Geth thing, I think that even if Tali is an Admiral and you saved the other Admiral before you do the reaper base, you still need to have a high enough paragon or renegade rep to get the "shout at people till they comply" options.

I just did that bit with my engineer and I had *both* red and blue options available despite the fact she's 90% renegade. I had intended to let Tali kill herself, but it occured to me I'd not seen how Tali reacts if you're romancing Garrus, so I went with reconciliation...even if that weren't the case, I'm not sure I could even go ahead with it. I mean I also just killed Wrex too...that was a first for me and it was surprisingly difficult.

I also just played through the Omega DLC again and I'd forgotten just how annoying an experience it was. Don't get me wrong, from a gameplay standpoint it's very well put together. Very good level design, nice variety and some innovative gameplay. However, it's totally contained nature makes the whole thing feel like Shepard hit her head and dreamt the whole thing.

Nothing changes. Even Aria appears back exactly where she was on the Citadel, with just one line of dialogue and a cabin memento to acknowledge what just happened. Nyreen was a total missed opportunity. I can accept that there were technical and budgetary limitations that prevented her from being a recruitable squadmate, but I still think they squandered her. Hell, you never even get to address her death with Aria!

All through the interactions between the two, the game pretty much hits you over the head with the concept that Aria= renegade, Nyreen= Paragon. Both seem to be vying for leadership of Omega and the natural way to go seems to be that at some point, you're going to have to either choose between them, or find some compromise to get them working together. But instead her arc takes a 90 degree turn into her phobia with dealing with adjutants that ends with her unceremonious and blatantly forced suicide.

Add to all that the fact you don't get Omega as a new hub, the sloppy, often broken cutscenes, the total absence of squadmate interactions, or even reactions...yeah. Very frustrating.

That last bit wouldn't be so bad if at least it made sense. "I don't approve of some of the company you keep." What does that even mean? Does she know Garrus was Archangel? Why would that even matter? Does she think Liara is working for the Shadow Broker? Why not just say so?
Old March 15 2014, 05:11 PM   #2336
TheGodBen
Rear Admiral

^ For the Quarrian/Geth thing, I think that even if Tali is an Admiral and you saved the other Admiral before you do the reaper base, you still need to have a high enough paragon or renegade rep to get the "shout at people till they comply" options.
I'm pretty sure I did. The only thing I can think of is that I punched that Quarian Admiral who opened fire on the Geth dreadnought while I was still on it, which may have made him not listen to my orders during the climactic moment.

Either way, the Geth died. I'm okay with that.
Old March 15 2014, 09:06 PM   #2337
Reverend
Rear Admiral

Nope, can't be that because I punched him too. I even berated Legion repeatedly about keeping things back. :/

Just played through Citadel and did the date with Garrus. I've been avoiding spoilers on this for over a year and I'm glad I did. It was hilarious and both VO's were in top form, clearly having some fun with it.
Old March 17 2014, 02:18 AM   #2338
TheGodBen
Rear Admiral

Nope, can't be that because I punched him too. I even berated Legion repeatedly about keeping things back. :/
Then I really don't know why I didn't get the red and blue dialogue options. I still have a save file from before that sequence and when I checked it earlier I had a maxed-out reputation bar. The only thing I did wrong was reprogram the Geth heretics in ME2, but I did everything else right and therefore should have been able to broker peace. It must have been a glitch then. That sucks.
Old March 17 2014, 12:20 PM   #2339
Reverend
Rear Admiral

The reputation system in ME3 is a bit weird. I think it's more than just having all paragon or renegade, but there's also an overall score that you can't really see in-game. Maybe your total rep wasn't enough? Mind you, if you've imported from ME2 then you should have had a good head start.

I don't think I've ever had a greyed out option with an imported character. Hell with that particular instance, I had both options available and that Shep hardly has any paragon on the bar. So yeah, it was probably a glitch.

Incidentally, I'd also reprogrammed the heretics with that Shepard.
Old March 17 2014, 01:10 PM   #2340
RESPCT
SPCTRE

View RESPCT's Twitter Profile

I also did that and I got both options. Sounds like a glitch to me.
“Metro [...] is designed for casual users [...] designed for your computer illiterate little sister, for grandpas who don’t know how to use that computer dofangle thingy, and for mom who just wants to look up apple pie recipes. [...] the antithesis of a power user.”
— Windows UI designer J. Miller
RESPCT is offline   Reply With Quote