Coto Drama Sold To Fox
By: T'Bonz on Sep 12

Braga Inks Deal
By: T'Bonz on Sep 12

Remastered Original Series Re-release
By: T'Bonz on Sep 11

UK Trek Ships Calendar Debuts
By: T'Bonz on Sep 10

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old March 14 2014, 04:02 AM   #61
JarodRussell
Vice Admiral

Re: Do you think LotR holds up?

Anduril is the worst offender, because by omitting it until the second half of the third film, they changed Aragorn's whole character. In the books, he takes Anduril when they leave Rivendell, and he already accepted being King. And in many scenes the sword spread fear among the orcs and hope among humans.
JarodRussell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 14 2014, 05:08 AM   #62
Merlanthe
Lieutenant Commander

I tried rewatching the first film last week after not seeing it for years. I remembered it being a good movie so had expectations of enjoying watching it.

I ended up bored and annoyed mostly with the weird lighting choices and scene transitions. A lot of the time it seemed like we were jumping to a scene that had already begun or jumping to the next scene before the first was properly finished. Whenever there was a dramatic/important scene or exposition characters would talk really really slowly whilst the same distractingly dramatic music played in the background.

Thats just my opinion. I was very disappointed as i remembered enjoying it when i first watched it
Old March 14 2014, 05:21 AM   #63
Skywalker
Admiral

JarodRussell wrote: View Post
Anduril is the worst offender, because by omitting it until the second half of the third film, they changed Aragorn's whole character. In the books, he takes Anduril when they leave Rivendell, and he already accepted being King. And in many scenes the sword spread fear among the orcs and hope among humans.
So you'd rather have Aragorn be a stagnant character through the trilogy? There's no arc to him if he's already accepted his destiny as Isildur's heir before the story even starts.
Skywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 14 2014, 12:56 PM   #64
Mr Light
Admiral

I agree with most of the changes Jackson made to the story. I agree that Aragorn needed to have some sort of character arc through the trilogy.

Mr Light is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 14 2014, 05:37 PM   #65
Mach5
Rear Admiral

Skywalker wrote: View Post
So you'd rather have Aragorn be a stagnant character through the trilogy? There's no arc to him if he's already accepted his destiny as Isildur's heir before the story even starts.
Mr Light wrote: View Post
I agree with most of the changes Jackson made to the story. I agree that Aragorn needed to have some sort of character arc through the trilogy.
A thousand times THIS!

These books were incredibly hard to adapt, and I think Jackson, Fran and Pippa made a lot of very clever choices. People tend to forget how different literature and cinema are as media.
Old March 14 2014, 09:43 PM   #66
Silvercrest
Rear Admiral

Agreed. I don't agree with many of the changes they made, but I think others were very good (including Aragorn). And even in some cases where I disagree, I can at least see what they were aiming for.
Silvercrest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 14 2014, 10:21 PM   #67
Hound of UIster
Rear Admiral

Skywalker wrote: View Post
JarodRussell wrote: View Post
Your "arc" doesn't make any sense. He had already accepted his role as king. It's why he was the leader of the Rangers and why he had fought for years in secret alongside the armies of Gondor and Rohan. If you are going to give him an arc, give him one that makes sense instead of making some shit up that is an utter contradiction of his character like Peter Jackson and the writers for the LOTR movies did.
Old March 14 2014, 10:55 PM   #68
Silvercrest
Rear Admiral

None of that means he's ready to step up and take the throne. It's all hypothetical until you're actually confronted with it. People react differently then.

Besides, I don't think the movies ever said he fought in Gondor and Rohan. He may not have done a lot of the stuff that prepared book-Aragorn to be king.
Old March 14 2014, 11:00 PM   #69
Set Harth
Rear Admiral

The extended edition of TTT mentions his service to Rohan in the time of Eowyn's grandfather.
Old March 14 2014, 11:37 PM   #70
Mr Light
Admiral

Hell, I don't even mind what they did with Faramir taking Frodo to Osgiliath. Because it gave him an arc, it gave him weakness, it showed the power of the Ring, and it gave Frodo something to do other than wander through the woods.

And I wish they did some of the changes they reneged on;

I would have loved to have seen Arwen directly contribute to the story and join the battle at Helm's Deep

I would have loved to have seen Sauron take physical form and fight Aragorn at the end.

Mr Light is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 15 2014, 01:02 AM   #71
Silvercrest
Rear Admiral

Set Harth wrote: View Post
The extended edition of TTT mentions his service to Rohan in the time of Eowyn's grandfather.
Ah. Need to go back and look now.
Old March 15 2014, 05:30 AM   #72
Runetouch
Lieutenant Commander

Both the novel(yes, even with those horrible Tom Bombadill songs) and the movies hold up very well.
Runetouch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 15 2014, 05:56 AM   #73
The Lensman
Fleet Captain

sojourner wrote: View Post
Yeah, these films are ancient. Time for them to be remade.
Well, there's a difference between an "adaptation" and a "remake". Every version of "Romeo and Juliet" isn't a "remake", it's a new adaptation of the play. A new "ET" would be a "remake".

Personally I could care less about new adaptations or remakes. That isn't the problem, it's bad adaptations and remakes.

The "Maltese Falcon" had three versions done over the course of twelve years, each film made six years apart. Thank god people had a different mindset when it came "remakes" or we might not have gotten one of the great films of cinema. Which was the THIRD version. And it was made despite the first version being a success at the theater.

And this is really the difference between today's film goers and yesterdays. They didn't care.
Old March 15 2014, 06:42 PM   #74
suarezguy
Commodore

M'rk, son of Mogh wrote: View Post
suarezguy wrote: View Post
I rewatched the films (theatrical) recently and while a lot does work, Wood and Mortensen were fairly underwhelming, Wood especially being limited and choppy in his range, and Pippin was particularly underdeveloped until TRotK. The middle of the first film felt pretty rushed and dependent on the effects while there wasn't much plot in the second. Gollum was pretty good but at times too cheaply comical and I didn't like how literal the division and interaction between his Good and Evil sides were (although I realize it's hard to do something subtler on film).
These were "problems" that always existed. What would make them not "hold up" now as opposed to then?
I did like Wood and Mortensen a lot more back when they were first released, mostly for having different expectations and now being apart from the hype (and I think complaints of the acting and pacing back then were pretty rare).
I'm not suggesting new versions, just wanted to see how others also felt retrospectively.
OTOH, The Matrix sequels could almost only get better from being remade.
Old March 16 2014, 02:39 AM   #75
BigJake
Rear Admiral

The Lensman wrote: View Post
And this is really the difference between today's film goers and yesterdays. They didn't care.
You're saying today's film goers... care? About whether or not something is a remake? To whatever extent that's true, surely it would have to be from fatigue, since reboots and remakes are a way more prominent part of the film industry's product now than ever before.