Horse 1, Shatner 0
By: T'Bonz on Jul 28

Drexler TV Alert
By: T'Bonz on Jul 26

Retro Review: His Way
By: Michelle on Jul 26

MicroWarriors Releases Next Week
By: T'Bonz on Jul 25

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Doctor Who

Doctor Who "Bigger on the inside..."

Old March 7 2014, 12:13 PM   #151
bbjeg
Vice Admiral

Re: Where do I start?

I saw the first season. I was slightly discouraged to watch it, assuming each season had (some)teen episodes, but realized it wasn't that many. The Aztecs is the first episode, right? I didn't expect it to start in the middle (unless that was the pilot) but it's something I can watch. I like that classic style of television. I think I'm going to watch all of the classics before moving on to the 2005 series.

I hear people mentioning "Rose", "Pertwee", and "McCoy". Are they people who played DW or episodes (I'm a noob).
bbjeg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 7 2014, 12:45 PM   #152
Pindar
Rear Admiral

View Pindar's Twitter Profile

bbjeg wrote: View Post
I saw the first season. I was slightly discouraged to watch it, assuming each season had (some)teen episodes, but realized it wasn't that many. The Aztecs is the first episode, right? I didn't expect it to start in the middle (unless that was the pilot) but it's something I can watch. I like that classic style of television. I think I'm going to watch all of the classics before moving on to the 2005 series.

I hear people mentioning "Rose", "Pertwee", and "McCoy". Are they people who played DW or episodes (I'm a noob).
Rose is both the name of the 9th doctors first episode and the name of his companion.

Jon Pertwee played the 3rd Doctor and Sylvestor McCoy played the 7th doctor.
Pindar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 7 2014, 02:08 PM   #153
Blamo
Fleet Captain

The Aztecs is the first episode, right? I didn't expect it to start in the middle (unless that was the pilot) but it's something I can watch.
It's the sixth story.

Here's a list:-
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Doctor_...s#First_Doctor
Blamo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 7 2014, 03:17 PM   #154
bbjeg
Vice Admiral

Blamo wrote: View Post
The Aztecs is the first episode, right? I didn't expect it to start in the middle (unless that was the pilot) but it's something I can watch.
It's the sixth story.

It's strange Netflix starts six stories in.
Old March 7 2014, 03:35 PM   #155
Sindatur
Vice Admiral

It's the sixth story.

Also, First Series (Season in American terms) is actually 42 episodes, which makes up 8 Stories (All of them now available, except for the 4th Story/Serial, which is made up of 7 Episodes, and is currently lost. There are still alot of episodes lost from the Black and White era)

Where are we going? And why are we in this Handbasket?
Sindatur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 7 2014, 03:39 PM   #156
bbjeg
Vice Admiral

Sindatur wrote: View Post

It's the sixth story.

Also, First Series (Season in American terms) is actually 42 episodes, which makes up 8 Stories (All of them now available, except for the 4th Story/Serial, which is made up of 7 Episodes, and is currently lost. There are still alot of episodes lost from the Black and White era)
Any reason behind this?
Old March 7 2014, 03:48 PM   #157
Sindatur
Vice Admiral

Sindatur wrote: View Post
Any reason behind this?
Nobody could've imagined back then anyone would want to watch reruns and that there would be a market for Home Media, so lots of episodes got wiped (The films took up lots of space and was expensive), however, many have been discovered, from copies distributed around the world that never came back for wiping). There are two episodes still mising from the 7th Story, also, but, they have been animated, so, it's only the 4th story of the first Series which still remains missing.

Second Series, is all found, aside from two episodes missing of the 6th Story. Though, all the missing episodes, do have Reconstructions available (Telesnaps, with the Audio track, and some have text narration to let you know some stuff you can't see via the frozen picture)

Old March 7 2014, 05:43 PM   #158
bbjeg
Vice Admiral

I'll stick with what Netflix is offering and after completion of the classics, I'll go back to see what was missed before jumping into the current series.
Old March 9 2014, 05:13 PM   #159
bbjeg
Vice Admiral

The Mind Trap was pretty good. The start was trippy and it was a great adventure. I liked seeing the familiar story book characters (I knew that was rapunzel's hair the second he caught the rope). I did roll my eyes on how easy Karkus was defeated but the sword fight later made up for it. D'Artagnan and Lancelot were good calls by the doctor.
Old March 10 2014, 01:26 AM   #160
diankra
Commodore

The Mind Trap was pretty good. The start was trippy and it was a great adventure. I liked seeing the familiar story book characters (I knew that was rapunzel's hair the second he caught the rope). I did roll my eyes on how easy Karkus was defeated but the sword fight later made up for it. D'Artagnan and Lancelot were good calls by the doctor.
The Mind Robber is the actual name, though The Mind Trap is actually a better title, thinking about it!
The behind-the-scenes stuff is that episode one was added on to the existing four-part script after there were problems with the previous serial - hence the low-cost production (no guest actors, no new sets, even the robot costumes were borrowed from another BBC SF series). But it's still brilliantly creepy!
diankra is online now   Reply With Quote
Old March 13 2014, 10:46 PM   #161
bbjeg
Vice Admiral

I wasn't a fan of Spearhead From Space but I really enjoyed The Three Doctors. The concept of that episode was fantastical. I have a feeling I'll see Omega again.
Old March 14 2014, 12:08 PM   #162
Guy Gardener
Fleet Admiral

But I want to buy a house with a maid for Liz, when all I want to do to Jo is tape her mouth shut so he shuts the hell up.

Every one of the Jo Grant stories would have been at least half the size if Liz had boots on the ground instead of the knob Jo Grant.

Troy Yingst. My Life as Liz
Guy Gardener is online now   Reply With Quote
Old March 14 2014, 01:40 PM   #163
bbjeg
Vice Admiral

If that was directed to me, I have no idea what it means. I just started watching Dr. Who and still learning the names.
Old March 14 2014, 01:51 PM   #164
Starkers
Admiral

Don't worry that's just Guy being Guy I don't think it was directed at you!

The Devils of Amber Street
Starkers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 14 2014, 02:35 PM   #165
Sindatur
Vice Admiral

If that was directed to me, I have no idea what it means. I just started watching Dr. Who and still learning the names.
LOL, yea, Guy being Guy.

Translation: The sophisticated lady Companion in Spearhead From Space (Liz Shaw) is a Goddess and the Hippie Companion in The Three Doctors (Jo Grant) is a shrill dumbass who screwed up so much it took the Doctor longer to resolve the Story then if Liz had stuck around longer.