Mulgrew: Playing Red
By: T'Bonz on Jul 24

Hallmark 2015 Trek Ornaments
By: T'Bonz on Jul 24

Funko Mini Spock
By: T'Bonz on Jul 23

IDW Publishing Comic Preview
By: T'Bonz on Jul 23

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies I-X

Star Trek Movies I-X Discuss the first ten big screen outings in this forum!

Old March 3 2014, 12:02 PM   #91
Synnöve
Lieutenant

Re: TMP Re-Edit & Restoration Project - Ideas, Feedback, Advise

*rant*

Paramount needs to stop letting monkeys put together their media products:

-On the Blu-Ray, the deleted scenes are hard encoded as telecined 29i frame rate, this makes them unusable for my purposes as they have a lot of combing artifacts.

-This isn't too much of a problem because the DE NTSC DVD has the deleted scenes encoded progressive with pull down flags, therefore they upscale well.

-The main film on the DE is hard encoded as telecined 29i framerate, therefore I cant upscale it and reinsert scenes from it without them looking awful. This means I need to spend even more money and purchase the PAL version as it will most likely be encoded at 25fps progressive, which will be easy to convert to 24fps (and have higher resolution too).

-The trailer and snippets of the documentary they put together for the blu-ray show the film before they took their DNR and contrast increasing tools to it, and show how the film should have been with a light layer of natural film grain, and image that doesn't look blown out and over saturated, or randomly flat. It's sad that a transfer of the trailer film looks better than the final product.

-To totally prove Paramount's incompetence, here is a still from the drydock scene that they managed to mess up somehow as the turning of reds to blues wasn't in the original transfer:

I just cannot fathom how such shoddy work can be passed off as "remastered".

*end rant*
Synnöve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 3 2014, 08:10 PM   #92
BeatleJWOL
Commander

Send a message via AIM to BeatleJWOL Send a message via Yahoo to BeatleJWOL

Synnöve wrote: View Post
-On the Blu-Ray, the deleted scenes are hard encoded as telecined 29i frame rate, this makes them unusable for my purposes as they have a lot of combing artifacts.
I wouldn't be surprised in the least if that was done on purpose to keep overzealous faneditors from rebuilding the SLV. Sort of like how in 5.1 music remixes the vocals are never completely alone in the center channel...
BeatleJWOL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 4 2014, 03:14 AM   #93
trevanian
Rear Admiral

I am the remaster of my own fate.

Naah, sounds like shit.
trevanian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 4 2014, 03:56 AM   #94
mos6507
Captain

This thread makes about as much of a case for Paramount doing one more TMP remaster in high-def as any. It really should not fall upon the fans to do any of this.

There was a time when nobody ever thought TOS would get remastered, let alone TNG, but here we are. Not TMP is the most glaring oversight, since veryone's moved on from DVD to Blu-ray.
Old March 4 2014, 05:33 AM   #95
Synnöve
Lieutenant

I'm happy to post my finalized restoration of the Enterprise Reveal shot.

*posted wrong version, will update soon*

The youtube version is highly compressed, so I recommend the MP4 if you have a fast internet connection. I was able to restore a large chunk of lost shadow detail, and add film grain back in to the picture.

Notice that the drydock hasn't disappeared in to the background, and the deflector dish doesn't have a black hole in it.

Last edited by Synnöve; March 5 2014 at 02:18 AM.
Old March 6 2014, 02:05 AM   #96
Synnöve
Lieutenant

Here is the actual version, the previous one didn't incorporate the new deflector dish work.

http://youtu.be/gas5BvfIg-w

https://app.box.com/s/ctyjey65v5ya82b8oxl5 -70MB MP4
Old March 9 2014, 10:02 PM   #97
Synnöve
Lieutenant

*takes on professor's voice*

Good news every one! I was able to procure a copy of the HDTV broadcast of TMP. This will greatly help with restoring picture detail lost when the "restoration" was done, as well as assist with the color timing. The broadcast seems to have a large amount of red push but that can be compensated for.
Old March 13 2014, 01:05 PM   #98
pfontaine2
Lieutenant Junior Grade

I offered to help a few pages back and instantly got clobbered with lots of overtime at work. Again, I have decent 3D and compositing skills so I'm happy to have a go at anything you'd like. I can certainly try the deleted Tram scene but you mentioned a slight change of angle. Do you have a sketch or simple storyboard of what you'd like to see?
pfontaine2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 14 2014, 01:54 AM   #99
austen_pierce
Captain

How about some touch up on the ultra form fitting uniforms. I'd be interested in seeing any version of the movie where I don't have to awkwardly avoid looking at Decker's unit.
Old March 14 2014, 04:51 AM   #100
Synnöve
Lieutenant

pfontaine2 wrote: View Post
I offered to help a few pages back and instantly got clobbered with lots of overtime at work. Again, I have decent 3D and compositing skills so I'm happy to have a go at anything you'd like. I can certainly try the deleted Tram scene but you mentioned a slight change of angle. Do you have a sketch or simple storyboard of what you'd like to see?
Hello again!

Page one, post six shows the sort of shot I'd be interested in, with the frame opened up to show the top of the hanger, a little more of the city, and maybe shore.

*EDIT* Here is a better shot that shows a little more of what I'm after:

The other SF shot I'd want to construct would be one inspired by the director's cut SF establishing shot...

...using this photo as a base, with the tram station, restored beach, and futuristic city as shown in the concept art.

http://photos3.meetupstatic.com/phot...130264322.jpeg

austen_pierce wrote: View Post
How about some touch up on the ultra form fitting uniforms. I'd be interested in seeing any version of the movie where I don't have to awkwardly avoid looking at Decker's unit.
While it does look a bit unprofessional I don't really care about it. Honestly Ilia's robot outfit is something I have way more of a problem with than the crotch situation (but that's obviously impossible to fix).

Last edited by Synnöve; March 14 2014 at 11:16 PM.
Old March 15 2014, 01:58 PM   #101
austen_pierce
Captain

You've inspired me. Using the DE and DE bonus material, I'm going to take a crack at this myself.
Old March 16 2014, 03:51 AM   #102
LMFAOschwarz
Captain

I don't want to beat a dead horse from earlier, but reading through the opinions presented, I find myself in agreement with Maurice regarding the transporter scene. It was very engrossing, and dramatized the ship being unready for the mission. I'm in favor of most all creative endeavors, this one too, but I feel that scene is vital to the story. Not to mention it'd leave the story going from "I'm taking over the center seat, Will." in engineering, to "We have to replace Commander Sonak." in the corridor. It'd feel like an edit of the original series on SYFY, like when they cut out the Spock/Charlie chess scene in Charlie X, leaving a new viewer wondering what that little lumpy thing Kirk showed Charlie was all about. I shut off the television right then and there, vowing to get the DVD's, which I did.

Anyhow, regarding your project, good luck. I'll be curious to see what you come up with!

(I just feel strongly about the transporter scene. Besides, the beginning of this movie nowhere near drags.)
LMFAOschwarz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 16 2014, 08:12 AM   #103
LMFAOschwarz
Captain

Well, my DVD player kicked the bucket tonight, but I realized the old VCR is still hooked up, so I proceeded to find a tape to put on for background noise. Why I still have the VCR is anyone's guess, since I only own a very small handful of tapes anymore. Well, one of the ones happens to be Star Trek: The Motion Picture, so based somewhat on this thread, I popped it in!

I'm not getting any real, palpable sense of "drag" until the rec deck...briefing, or whatever you want to call it. Back in the series, this would have been a "This is the Captain speaking" scene, with reaction shots from various crew at various locations around the ship. Funny thing is, if they did that here, they would've been able to show much, much more of the new ship than one big room could, regardless of its size. (Come to think of it, that comm message that Uhura had to walk halfway across that room to answer would actually have be rather loud to be heard in that room, no?)

Since I can't sleep too well tonight, I thought I'd throw this in.
LMFAOschwarz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 17 2014, 02:44 PM   #104
pfontaine2
Lieutenant Junior Grade

I've started the tram shots and have a few questions.

The sequence you are envisioning would be:

1. The tram approaches StarFleet HQ in a shot similar to the Director's Edition but matching the unused Tram shot in it's depiction of San Franscisco. I would use the provided photo of San Francisco bay to reconstruct the shot as needed.

2. The second shot shows the tram entering StarFleet HQ from the outside like the screenshot provided. I am currently breaking that shot apart to be able to composite the various elements and color correcting/grain removal as well to get a clean plate. I'm thinking that the clouds in the BG could move a bit and some sort of slot gag to bring some life to the water.

Do you intend to use the shot of the shuttle approaching StarFleet HQ that was used in the 1979 release between these two additional shots? If so, then I'll have to make certain that all three shots (the two new and the one existing) will all match color-wise.

Finally, I'm assuming that the shots should look like they could have come from the 1979 release rather than have lots of digital bells and whistles like multi-plane/parallax movement. Is this correct?

Thanks as always!
Pierre
pfontaine2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 18 2014, 12:17 AM   #105
Synnöve
Lieutenant

I've started the tram shots and have a few questions.

The sequence you are envisioning would be:

1. The tram approaches StarFleet HQ in a shot similar to the Director's Edition but matching the unused Tram shot in it's depiction of San Franscisco. I would use the provided photo of San Francisco bay to reconstruct the shot as needed.
Basically yes. I've included a few more concepts I dug up to help with conceptualizing the city scape (you might also look to memory alpha to see how it's been represented in other Trek and draw inspiration there). From what I recall, Gene's idea was that the smog would be gone, original cost line restored, a lot of city sprawl removed, and that the greenery would be lush.

Concerning the photo, you can use or combine others if you wish. I just suggested that one due to it having the right angle and a very high resolution (though it does have a lot of jpeg compression artifacts).

Here are a few other photos from a similar angle that might help as well:

http://deansli.st/wp-content/uploads...01/ggbpano.jpg

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...ate_Bridge.jpg

http://scott.cragg.info/misc/Golden%...a%2019x4.3.jpg

2. The second shot shows the tram entering StarFleet HQ from the outside like the screenshot provided. I am currently breaking that shot apart to be able to composite the various elements and color correcting/grain removal as well to get a clean plate. I'm thinking that the clouds in the BG could move a bit and some sort of slot gag to bring some life to the water.
Sounds like a good idea!

Do you intend to use the shot of the shuttle approaching StarFleet HQ that was used in the 1979 release between these two additional shots? If so, then I'll have to make certain that all three shots (the two new and the one existing) will all match color-wise.
Yes I do plan on using it, or a modified version of it between the two shots. I haven't color corrected it yet so if you have ideas concerning that feel free to give them.

Finally, I'm assuming that the shots should look like they could have come from the 1979 release rather than have lots of digital bells and whistles like multi-plane/parallax movement. Is this correct?
They had multi-plane cameras back then which were applied to matte paintings.

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-g_faz1iagi...intingCU02.jpg

I'd say probably nothing too elaborate as it would lack continuity with the other matte shots. That being said, movement of clouds, a little parallax, water plate would be welcome. When I did my Vulcan matte I applied a small jiggle or twitch effect to the foreground layers and background layers to mimic the film effect of the plate and painting layers not lining up 100% every frame, in addition to the film grain. These sort of small things I believe help sell the illusion of period authenticity.