RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 141,516
Posts: 5,511,880
Members: 25,137
Currently online: 564
Newest member: VonDingle

TrekToday headlines

Captain Kirk’s Boldest Missions
By: T'Bonz on Dec 25

Trek Paper Clips
By: T'Bonz on Dec 24

Sargent Passes
By: T'Bonz on Dec 23

QMx Trek Insignia Badges
By: T'Bonz on Dec 23

And The New Director Of Star Trek 3 Is…
By: T'Bonz on Dec 23

TV Alert: Pine On Tonight Show
By: T'Bonz on Dec 22

Retro Review: The Emperor’s New Cloak
By: Michelle on Dec 20

Star Trek Opera
By: T'Bonz on Dec 19

New Abrams Project
By: T'Bonz on Dec 18

IDW Publishing March 2015 Comics
By: T'Bonz on Dec 17


Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.


Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > Deep Space Nine

Deep Space Nine What We Left Behind, we will always have here.

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old February 21 2014, 08:33 AM   #226
JD5000
Commander
 
JD5000's Avatar
 
Location: Jackson, WY
Re: Absolute worst character in DS9 History: Ezri Dax

^ You're correct, I should have phrased that better. In addition to Curzon's creepy old man crush, the fact that Jadzia didn't know about Joran until the discovering the presence of his musical compositions in her head made her realize something was up.

That would have been better to say 'it's not clear how much information the symbiont can hide from the host, or it's motivations for doing so.'
JD5000 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old February 21 2014, 12:49 PM   #227
Tosk
Rear Admiral
 
Tosk's Avatar
 
Location: On the run.
Re: Absolute worst character in DS9 History: Ezri Dax

Tosk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 22 2014, 08:53 AM   #228
naverhtrad
Lieutenant Commander
 
naverhtrad's Avatar
 
Re: Absolute worst character in DS9 History: Ezri Dax

Tosk wrote: View Post
JD5000 wrote: View Post
It is not clear, however, if the symbiont has the ability to hide this information from the host.
I would say it's very clear that Dax can hide information from the host. Jadzia had no idea that Curzon loved her until he admitted it while "linked" with Odo.
True. Going the other way, too, actually: if Dax had gained all of Odo's memories and experiences and Jadzia then became aware of them (obviously she became aware of some of them since she could talk to Odo about what it was like to shape-shift), she wouldn't have been so clueless or tactless later on with regard to Odo's unrequited interest in Kira.

If we can attribute that to the symbiont hiding some of its own experience from its host, so much the better - I'd hate to think that was bad writing!
__________________
Steadfast as a weathered mighty stone,
Weary of this furious raging storm,
Defy, and resist the endless war.
Withstand, and uphold the sacred law!

Bring forth your gods, your sacred strife:
With truth I crush your wretched life!

- Forefather
naverhtrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 22 2014, 01:16 PM   #229
Bad Thoughts
Fleet Captain
 
Location: Containment Area for Relocated Yankees
Re: Absolute worst character in DS9 History: Ezri Dax

If memory retrieval were so perfect for joined Trills (it isn't for humans), there would be no reason for the zhian'tara. There would be nothing to learn, nothing to be revealed.
Bad Thoughts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 1 2014, 12:55 AM   #230
Jonny
Lieutenant Commander
 
Location: Liverpool Merseyside uk
Re: Absolute worst character in DS9 History: Ezri Dax

[QUOTE=NX-01;7569508]
I think Dax shouldn't have been replaced with another Dax. It should have been a complete new character. QUOTE]

I agree with this part of your post the most I think it was a mistake to do that personally speaking since it made it even harder for the actress to get away from the comparisons with Terry Farrell's character.

As for Esri being the worst character on DS9? I think it's kinda hard to say as she wasn't there that long and I usually say that Keiko was my least favourite but yeah I didn't really get into Esri once she came into it.
Jonny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 2 2014, 04:16 AM   #231
JirinPanthosa
Rear Admiral
 
Re: Absolute worst character in DS9 History: Ezri Dax

Tosk wrote: View Post
JD5000 wrote: View Post
It is not clear, however, if the symbiont has the ability to hide this information from the host.
I would say it's very clear that Dax can hide information from the host. Jadzia had no idea that Curzon loved her until he admitted it while "linked" with Odo.
Did the Dax symbiont intentionally hide that from Jadzia though or was it just lost in Dax's confused emotions about the affair.

A canon source never gave us a real insight into how the symbionts think when they aren't joined but it's pretty clear they don't have thoughts separate from their host while joined.

Most of the hosts are given the choice whether or not to be joined. Ezri was the exception. She had a choice but she really didn't, because if she didn't she would be known forever as the Trill who let the Dax symbiont die. Her joining is morally problematic.
JirinPanthosa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 13 2014, 03:48 PM   #232
mendelin
Lieutenant Commander
 
mendelin's Avatar
 
View mendelin's Twitter Profile
Re: Absolute worst character in DS9 History: Ezri Dax

Jonny wrote: View Post
NX-01 wrote: View Post
I think Dax shouldn't have been replaced with another Dax. It should have been a complete new character.
I agree with this part of your post the most I think it was a mistake to do that personally speaking since it made it even harder for the actress to get away from the comparisons with Terry Farrell's character.

As for Esri being the worst character on DS9? I think it's kinda hard to say as she wasn't there that long and I usually say that Keiko was my least favourite but yeah I didn't really get into Esri once she came into it.
I think, Ezri was completely unnecessary in 7th season. She took much screentime, but her story wasn't essential for main plot. Ezri is not worst, she is just unnecessary.
mendelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 13 2014, 11:32 PM   #233
JirinPanthosa
Rear Admiral
 
Re: Absolute worst character in DS9 History: Ezri Dax

If they were going to replace Dax it wouldn't have worked if they'd brought in a stranger, there wouldn't have been time to form a rapport with the other characters.

They either needed no replacement, or they needed a Dax, or they needed to give secondary characters more prominent roles.
JirinPanthosa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 14 2014, 12:32 AM   #234
Bad Thoughts
Fleet Captain
 
Location: Containment Area for Relocated Yankees
Re: Absolute worst character in DS9 History: Ezri Dax

"Now playing Jadzia Dax, Nicole de Boers." If soap opera fans can adjust, so could Trek fans.
Bad Thoughts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 14 2014, 01:58 AM   #235
Frontier
Vice Admiral
 
Frontier's Avatar
 
Location: Fifth Circle of Hell, IE: Pennsylvania
View Frontier's Twitter Profile Send a message via AIM to Frontier
Re: Absolute worst character in DS9 History: Ezri Dax

For a long time, everyone seemed to love Ezri. But in the past few years, everyone seems to have finally woken up and realized what a blithering twit and a waste of valuable final season story time she was. It warms my heart.

I'm also curious how much of the turnaround on Ezri is because of the interview Terry Farrell did a few years ago revealing she was willing to continue as Jadzia in a reduced role. I think that may have shifted a lot of people in a subconscious way to say "Woah, hold on; we got shafted with Ezri because of producer/writer spite about an actor wanting less screen time?"
__________________
Me on Tumblr
Me on Twitter

Frontier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 14 2014, 02:43 AM   #236
dub
Fleet Captain
 
dub's Avatar
 
Location: Location? What is this?
Re: Absolute worst character in DS9 History: Ezri Dax

Ezri is by no means my favorite character, but I have to think if I happened to be the person in charge, and Terry quit, and I knew her character had a slug that could be transplanted into another character, keeping half of the character alive so to speak, sounds like it might be something fun and unique to write. I might even look forward to it. Hindsight, yeah, I think I would have handled it differently. It would have played much stronger if they just killed her off completely, or had her come back in a recurring role if that was actually an option (remember there are 2 sides to every story). But that's really easy for me to say. And looking at the possibilities, I think they were onto something with the idea at least. But yeah, she's not my favorite character by a long shot.
dub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 14 2014, 02:51 AM   #237
Anna Yolei
Vice Admiral
 
Re: Absolute worst character in DS9 History: Ezri Dax

For a long time, everyone seemed to love Ezri. But in the past few years, everyone seems to have finally woken up and realized what a blithering twit and a waste of valuable final season story time she was. It warms my heart.

funny you say that, 'cuz the first time I watched DS9 all the way through, I didn't care much for Ezri. But after a second viewing Ezri works far more for me than Jadzia ever did because for all the valid complaints about her being unnecessary, Ezri was her own character.

Jadzia never worked for me, and it's only been recently that's I've been able to figure out why: Look through the first three seasons of the series, and tell me how many episodes Jadzia has that are directly about her and not Curzon or anything having to do with being a host to the Dax symbiote. I'll wait....the only one that jumps to mind was the one-off romance with the guy whose city disappears for years at a time, and I can't even tell you the name of that one.

Basically, Jadzia Dax was not Jadzia so much as she was Dax. As someone pointed out a few pages back, she jumps through so many personalities and granted Terry Ferrel pulls them off pretty well, saving the charcater from being a complete bust....but so much of that was supposedly attributed to the symbiot, not the woman named Jadzia.

Ezri, I found far more interesting because the crew DIDN'T bring up her past lives with her, the obvious exception being Worf. I would agree that bringing a brand new character like this was not the best idea; if anything, TIIC should've replaced Jadzia sooner.
Anna Yolei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 14 2014, 02:55 AM   #238
Bad Thoughts
Fleet Captain
 
Location: Containment Area for Relocated Yankees
Re: Absolute worst character in DS9 History: Ezri Dax

I don't think one season of missed opportunities is worse that six season of marginal acting, though I have no interest in choosing between the two.
Bad Thoughts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 14 2014, 03:03 AM   #239
dub
Fleet Captain
 
dub's Avatar
 
Location: Location? What is this?
Re: Absolute worst character in DS9 History: Ezri Dax

Anna Yolei wrote: View Post
Basically, Jadzia Dax was not Jadzia so much as she was Dax. As someone pointed out a few pages back, she jumps through so many personalities and granted Terry Ferrel pulls them off pretty well, saving the charcater from being a complete bust....but so much of that was supposedly attributed to the symbiot, not the woman named Jadzia.

Ezri, I found far more interesting because the crew DIDN'T bring up her past lives with her, the obvious exception being Worf. I would agree that bringing a brand new character like this was not the best idea; if anything, TIIC should've replaced Jadzia sooner.
Very interesting observations! But even though I can't argue with that, I still have a softer spot in my heart for Jadzia than Ezri. At least I don't hate Ezri now like I did the first time though.
dub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 14 2014, 04:54 AM   #240
Timewalker
Cat-lovin', Star Trekkin' Time Lady
 
Timewalker's Avatar
 
Location: In many different universes, simultaneously.
Re: Absolute worst character in DS9 History: Ezri Dax

Bad Thoughts wrote: View Post
"Now playing Jadzia Dax, Nicole de Boers." If soap opera fans can adjust, so could Trek fans.
If the actor can carry off the previous storyline, that's all well and good. But sometimes it's just not possible, so they have to "take the character in another direction" and if that means retconning to ridiculous lengths, that's what they do.

DS9 had soapish elements to it, but not to the extent that it would have been at all reasonable to expect Nicole de Boer to pull off the same kinds of storylines and acting that Terry Farrell did (please note that I am not praising Terry Farrell, because I loathed Jadzia).

Frontier wrote: View Post
For a long time, everyone seemed to love Ezri. But in the past few years, everyone seems to have finally woken up and realized what a blithering twit and a waste of valuable final season story time she was. It warms my heart.

I'm also curious how much of the turnaround on Ezri is because of the interview Terry Farrell did a few years ago revealing she was willing to continue as Jadzia in a reduced role. I think that may have shifted a lot of people in a subconscious way to say "Woah, hold on; we got shafted with Ezri because of producer/writer spite about an actor wanting less screen time?"
Was this before or after she did the interview where she bitched about all the secondary characters getting storylines and eating up HER valuable screen time?
__________________
"Let's give it to Riker. He'll eat anything!"

For some great Original Series fanfic, check out the Valjiir Continuum!
Timewalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 11:27 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
FireFox 2+ or Internet Explorer 7+ highly recommended.