Saldana In The Book of Life
By: T'Bonz on Oct 17

Cracked’s New Sci-Fi Satire
By: T'Bonz on Oct 16

Beltran Introduces Shakespeare To Theater Group

Burton To Be Honored at Facets Boo! Bash

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science and Technology

Science and Technology "Somewhere, something incredible is waiting to be known." - Carl Sagan.

Old March 13 2014, 08:46 PM   #16
RAMA
Vice Admiral

Re: HD Guru Reveals 2014 UHDTV and HDTV Pricing!

I already posted a link that shows content is being created for demand and the delivery method. I also already mentioned Netflix woukd be leading the way. No surprises here.
Old March 14 2014, 01:21 AM   #17
Irishman
Fleet Captain

Stoo wrote: View Post
So hang on, this is a resolution beyond what even Blu-Ray can store, right? Is there some even-bluer-ray on the way? Or are all the upgrades in resolution coming via streaming, from now on?
Well, with regards to Blu-ray or some successor to Blu-ray, the fact is we don't know yet what the industry is going to settle on. So, for now, we're seeing UHD/4K/2160p streaming, courtesy primarily of Netflix. For example, "House of Cards" is going to be offered in 4K, as is "Breaking Bad". The smart thinking is that we'll become more and more reliant on internet-delivered content this time around, as terrestrial TV stations being too slow to react to rebuild their infrastructure once again, after "just" having done so 8 years ago for HDTV (broadcast TV STILL hasn't upgraded to 1080p, for example). They're not moving fast enough to remain relevant, so the internet seems like it will win this time around.

The question becomes then - what of 8K? Will internet delivery to cement its lead in content, or will terrestrial TV learn this lesson and redouble their upgrade efforts for the successor of 4K - 8K? Noone who knows is talking, but it's fun to speculate. Or will some holographic delivery system replace flat panels as we know them?
Irishman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 14 2014, 01:24 AM   #18
Irishman
Fleet Captain

Robert Maxwell wrote: View Post
Blu-ray can do 4K just fine. Blu-ray supports multiple video formats at various resolutions, including ones above 1080p. But the future is going to be streaming because it's infeasible to store anything bigger than 4K on a Blu-ray disc, and it doesn't look like anyone is investing in optical disc technology to supersede Blu-ray. After how costly the last format war was, can't say I blame anyone for not wanting another. On top of that, the data involved has simply exploded in size to the point where we just can't keep up with optical discs anymore. Blu-ray's not even been on the market for 8 years and it's already nearing the end of its useful life due to advancing technology. I just don't think it's economical anymore, and for most people broadband Internet service is now fast enough to handle some pretty high resolutions. As I mentioned above, Netflix will bring 4K streaming to its service soon, and others are sure to follow suit.
4K streams from Netflix are said to require 15 Mbps download speed. I don't know about you, but we'd have to upgrade our home internet.
Irishman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 14 2014, 02:12 AM   #19
THE Robert Maxwell
Reports of my death...

View THE Robert Maxwell's Twitter Profile Send a message via ICQ to THE Robert Maxwell Send a message via AIM to THE Robert Maxwell Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to THE Robert Maxwell Send a message via Yahoo to THE Robert Maxwell

Irishman wrote: View Post
Robert Maxwell wrote: View Post
Blu-ray can do 4K just fine. Blu-ray supports multiple video formats at various resolutions, including ones above 1080p. But the future is going to be streaming because it's infeasible to store anything bigger than 4K on a Blu-ray disc, and it doesn't look like anyone is investing in optical disc technology to supersede Blu-ray. After how costly the last format war was, can't say I blame anyone for not wanting another. On top of that, the data involved has simply exploded in size to the point where we just can't keep up with optical discs anymore. Blu-ray's not even been on the market for 8 years and it's already nearing the end of its useful life due to advancing technology. I just don't think it's economical anymore, and for most people broadband Internet service is now fast enough to handle some pretty high resolutions. As I mentioned above, Netflix will bring 4K streaming to its service soon, and others are sure to follow suit.
4K streams from Netflix are said to require 15 Mbps download speed. I don't know about you, but we'd have to upgrade our home internet.
I have a fiber optic connection so I'd be fine. I don't have a 4K TV, though!