RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 139,668
Posts: 5,429,430
Members: 24,821
Currently online: 422
Newest member: SB118_Laxyn


Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.


Go Back   The Trek BBS > Lounges & General Chat > Miscellaneous

Miscellaneous Discussion of non-Trek topics.

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old March 13 2014, 10:53 PM   #16
auntiehill
Fleet Admiral
 
auntiehill's Avatar
 
Location: geeksville
Re: English Grammar & Logic Discussion

Yes and sentences 3 and 4 are wrong, and always will be wrong. Period.
auntiehill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 13 2014, 11:38 PM   #17
Bisz
Rear Admiral
 
Location: Ontario, Canada
Re: English Grammar & Logic Discussion

I think The Oatmeal has an answer to just about everything in life, including this;

http://theoatmeal.com/comics/apostrophe


Based on that, this is my understanding:

1. One of my sisters' friends is an actress.

You have multiple sisters, at least one of them possesses several friends, one of those friends is an actress.

2. One of my sister's friends is an actress.

You have a sister who possesses friends, one of those friends is an actress.


The distinction is that in example one you have more than one sister, in example two you only have one.
__________________
"In general, living kills you..."
Bisz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 14 2014, 12:19 AM   #18
urbandefault
Captain
 
urbandefault's Avatar
 
Location: Chicken pot, chicken pot, chicken pot pie!
Re: English Grammar & Logic Discussion

It's easier to say, "My sister's friend is an actress."

How many sisters do you have? Does it matter? How many friends does she have? Which friend?

You could always say, "My sister Betty's friend is an actress." Or, "My sister Betty's friend Sarah is an actress."

Most anything is fine with me, except for the common mistake of using I instead of me. "My sister went to the play with Betty and I." That makes me cringe.
__________________
"GARY BUSEY!" - Gary Busey
urbandefault is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 14 2014, 02:12 AM   #19
propita
Rear Admiral
 
Location: fresno, ca, us
Re: English Grammar & Logic Discussion

Don’t you just love it when people use “I” because they sure it must be correct--when “me” is the correct word?

1) My sister went to the play with Betty. My sister went to the play with me.
2) My sister went to the play with Betty. My sister went to the play with I.

I’ve used examples as clear as this to explain the concept to people. I can (figuratively) see the light bulb come on.
propita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 14 2014, 05:30 AM   #20
scotpens
Vice Admiral
 
scotpens's Avatar
 
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Re: English Grammar & Logic Discussion

propita wrote: View Post
Don’t you just love it when people use “I” because they sure it must be correct--when “me” is the correct word?
It's called "hypercorrection." A classic example is the phrase "a girl like I," spoken by Lorelei Lee in Anita Loos' Gentlemen Prefer Blondes.

The same thing happens when the pronoun "whom" is used in an effort to be correct -- but it's used incorrectly. For example, "Whom shall I say is calling?"

If people would just think in terms of subject and object . . . but they don't.
__________________
“All the universe or nothingness. Which shall it be, Passworthy? Which shall it be?”
scotpens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 14 2014, 06:09 AM   #21
Gryffindorian
Vice Admiral
 
Gryffindorian's Avatar
 
Location: Middle-earth
Re: English Grammar & Logic Discussion

Bisz wrote: View Post
I think The Oatmeal has an answer to just about everything in life, including this;

http://theoatmeal.com/comics/apostrophe


Based on that, this is my understanding:

1. One of my sisters' friends is an actress.

You have multiple sisters, at least one of them possesses several friends, one of those friends is an actress.

2. One of my sister's friends is an actress.

You have a sister who possesses friends, one of those friends is an actress.


The distinction is that in example one you have more than one sister, in example two you only have one.
Those were my initial interpretations, but as you can see, there are other meanings to consider, too.

urbandefault wrote: View Post
It's easier to say, "My sister's friend is an actress."

How many sisters do you have? Does it matter? How many friends does she have? Which friend?

You could always say, "My sister Betty's friend is an actress." Or, "My sister Betty's friend Sarah is an actress."

Most anything is fine with me, except for the common mistake of using I instead of me. "My sister went to the play with Betty and I." That makes me cringe.
Rewriting a sentence is always a good practice for me, especially if it's not clear or is awkwardly written.

Misuse of pronouns is very common in daily conversations, as I indicated in my other examples (reflexives). I can tolerate some verbal grammatical errors, but I'm quite picky when it comes to writing.
__________________
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."
--Bilbo Baggins, LOTR: Fellowship of the Ring
Gryffindorian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 14 2014, 10:46 AM   #22
scotpens
Vice Admiral
 
scotpens's Avatar
 
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Re: English Grammar & Logic Discussion

Gryffindorian wrote: View Post
. . . I can tolerate some verbal grammatical errors, but I'm quite picky when it comes to writing.
You mean you can tolerate some oral grammatical errors.

Verbal means "by word, as opposed to thought or action"; oral means "by mouth" or "by speech."
__________________
“All the universe or nothingness. Which shall it be, Passworthy? Which shall it be?”
scotpens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 14 2014, 04:59 PM   #23
Gryffindorian
Vice Admiral
 
Gryffindorian's Avatar
 
Location: Middle-earth
Re: English Grammar & Logic Discussion

Yeah, I thought of that word as well but decided on verbal instead. Oral sounds I should have just used "spoken."
__________________
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."
--Bilbo Baggins, LOTR: Fellowship of the Ring
Gryffindorian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 15 2014, 02:08 AM   #24
scotpens
Vice Admiral
 
scotpens's Avatar
 
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Re: English Grammar & Logic Discussion

Gryffindorian wrote: View Post
Yeah, I thought of that word as well but decided on verbal instead. Oral sounds
That's only because everyone nowadays has a dirty mind!
__________________
“All the universe or nothingness. Which shall it be, Passworthy? Which shall it be?”
scotpens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 16 2014, 03:28 PM   #25
Green Shirt
Commodore
 
Green Shirt's Avatar
 
Location: 21133
Re: English Grammar & Logic Discussion

scotpens wrote: View Post

If people would just think in terms of subject and object . . . but they don't.
If people would just simply think before they open their mouths to say anything it would prevent a lot of trouble.
__________________
Its not easy being green.
Green Shirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 16 2014, 05:28 PM   #26
auntiehill
Fleet Admiral
 
auntiehill's Avatar
 
Location: geeksville
Re: English Grammar & Logic Discussion

^Indeed, in all areas of life.
__________________
There may be no "I" in "team," but there is definitely a "U" in "douche bag."
auntiehill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 19 2014, 08:28 PM   #27
Naira
Rear Admiral
 
Naira's Avatar
 
Location: Greece
Re: English Grammar & Logic Discussion

One example that seems counterintuitive to me is this:

"There is more than one person that can help you"

I've read it is correct but my intuition says that "more than one" should be followed by plural, since "more than one" may stand for, well, more than *one* persons in the above example.
__________________
TBBS Card | "Don't Panic!"
Naira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 19 2014, 08:33 PM   #28
Deckerd
Fleet Arse
 
Deckerd's Avatar
 
Location: the Frozen Wastes
Re: English Grammar & Logic Discussion

A verbal reprimand means by word of mouth, so scotpens was wrang and Gryffindorian was correct.

ps 'wrang' is Scots for 'wrong'
__________________
They couldn't hit an elephant at this distance.
Deckerd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old March 19 2014, 09:58 PM   #29
Gryffindorian
Vice Admiral
 
Gryffindorian's Avatar
 
Location: Middle-earth
Re: English Grammar & Logic Discussion

Deckerd wrote: View Post
A verbal reprimand means by word of mouth, so scotpens was wrang and Gryffindorian was correct.

ps 'wrang' is Scots for 'wrong'
Well, at least you could've been wright the first time around.
__________________
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."
--Bilbo Baggins, LOTR: Fellowship of the Ring
Gryffindorian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 19 2014, 10:14 PM   #30
scotpens
Vice Admiral
 
scotpens's Avatar
 
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Re: English Grammar & Logic Discussion

Deckerd wrote: View Post
A verbal reprimand means by word of mouth, so scotpens was wrang and Gryffindorian was correct.
In informal usage, "verbal" can mean spoken. But the proper term is an oral reprimand.
__________________
“All the universe or nothingness. Which shall it be, Passworthy? Which shall it be?”
scotpens is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 02:06 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
FireFox 2+ or Internet Explorer 7+ highly recommended.