Pegg/Wright Trilogy In The Works
By: T'Bonz on Aug 20

Star Trek: The Compendium Rebate Details
By: T'Bonz on Aug 20

Gold Key Archives Volume 2
By: T'Bonz on Aug 19

Takei Documentary Wins Award
By: T'Bonz on Aug 19

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old March 13 2014, 07:52 PM   #2956
RAMA
Vice Admiral

Re: SyFy mandate: greenlight a space opera

jefferiestubes8 wrote: View Post
Syfy's new executive vp original content, Bill McGoldrick, who joined in November from corporate sibling USA following the exit of Mark Stern, has two mandates: greenlight a space opera a la Battlestar and usher the network back into the golden age of high-profile, big-budget miniseries now duplicated by so many of its competitors.
Syfy's Plan: More Space Operas, Less 'Sharknado'

good news.
space opera tv series is a better medium than an action movie set on a starship.
I was just about to post this dammit. However, my hopes arent very high.

Watching season 1 of Spacehunter and Osiris chronicles has me itching for tv space opera now.
Old March 13 2014, 07:55 PM   #2957
sojourner
Vice Admiral

Re: sf/f TV development news - 2013

Yeah, you can have both thought provoking and fun sci-fi, just have less wrestling and ghost hunter crap.
Old March 13 2014, 08:02 PM   #2958
Out Of My Vulcan Mind
Vice Admiral

Wrestling and reality shows help pay for Syfy's scripted shows.
Old March 13 2014, 08:10 PM   #2959
sojourner
Vice Admiral

Out Of My Vulcan Mind wrote: View Post
Wrestling and reality shows help pay for Syfy's scripted shows.
Doesn't mean I have to like it.
Old March 13 2014, 08:24 PM   #2960
RAMA
Vice Admiral

We can also have space shows that arent dystopian..hear that Hollywood?
Old March 13 2014, 11:06 PM   #2961
Out Of My Vulcan Mind
Vice Admiral

Syfy has given the greenlight to Ascension. From Deadline:

With event programming making a comeback, Syfy signaled its return to the arena last year when it ramped up miniseries development with such projects as Warriors Of Oz, from director Timur Bekmambetov and four-hour minis based on Larry Niven’s Ringworld and on Arthur C. Clarke’s Childhood’s End with producer Michael De Luca. Now the cable network has greenlighted its first miniseries since 2009 Alice, the six-hour Ascension, which will premiere in the fourth quarter. It marks one of the first major green light decisions for Syfy’s new head of original programming, EVP Bill McGoldrick. His predecessor, Mark Stern, serves as executive producer on Ascension alongside microbudget horror film king Jason Blum. Written/exec produced by Philip Levens (Smallville), Ascension is set onboard starship Ascension. In 1963, the U.S. government launched a covert space mission sending hundreds of men, women and children on a century-long voyage aboard the Ascension to populate a new world. Nearly 50 years into the journey, as they approach the point of no return, a mysterious murder of a young woman causes the ship’s population to question the true nature of their mission. The series will be produced in Montreal, by Sea To Sky Studios in association with Blumhouse Productions. Sky to Sky’s Ivan Fecan, Tim Gamble and Brett Burlock also exec produce the event series, co-financed and distributed by Universal Cable Prods. and Lionsgate TV.
Old March 13 2014, 11:42 PM   #2962
JD
Admiral

I was just reading through the description of the TPBs of I, Zombie and now I' starting to wonder how true to them the show is going to be. The comic apparently has a "60s swinging ghost", a mummy and a were-terrier as major characters. The second one also talked about a mad scientist, and monster hunters dealing with a "vampire problem". So far the info about the show hasn't mentioned any supernatural elements besides the main character, and she works in a morgue instead of being a grave digger like in the comics.
Old March 14 2014, 12:04 AM   #2963
Sindatur
Vice Admiral

Syfy has given the greenlight to Ascension. From Deadline:

With event programming making a comeback, Syfy signaled its return to the arena last year when it ramped up miniseries development with such projects as Warriors Of Oz, from director Timur Bekmambetov and four-hour minis based on Larry Niven’s Ringworld and on Arthur C. Clarke’s Childhood’s End with producer Michael De Luca. Now the cable network has greenlighted its first miniseries since 2009 Alice, the six-hour Ascension, which will premiere in the fourth quarter. It marks one of the first major green light decisions for Syfy’s new head of original programming, EVP Bill McGoldrick. His predecessor, Mark Stern, serves as executive producer on Ascension alongside microbudget horror film king Jason Blum. Written/exec produced by Philip Levens (Smallville), Ascension is set onboard starship Ascension. In 1963, the U.S. government launched a covert space mission sending hundreds of men, women and children on a century-long voyage aboard the Ascension to populate a new world. Nearly 50 years into the journey, as they approach the point of no return, a mysterious murder of a young woman causes the ship’s population to question the true nature of their mission. The series will be produced in Montreal, by Sea To Sky Studios in association with Blumhouse Productions. Sky to Sky’s Ivan Fecan, Tim Gamble and Brett Burlock also exec produce the event series, co-financed and distributed by Universal Cable Prods. and Lionsgate TV.
Confused?

Warriors of Oz, Ringworld, and Childhood's End, sound like Mini-Series, and the article says This new Mini-Series Ascension is the first announced Mini-Series since 2009. Does that mean those other 3 have been in development (Hell?) since at least 2009?

Also, does this mean, that those 3 Mini-Series have now been kick-started prior to this new announcement?

I don't know any of the Subject matter, but, they all sound cool (especially Ringworld, I've always wanted to see exactly what Ringworld looked like [and hear fans that know the text judge the accuracy of it])

Where are we going? And why are we in this Handbasket?
Sindatur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 14 2014, 12:13 AM   #2964
Out Of My Vulcan Mind
Vice Admiral

^^^
Alice was the last Syfy miniseries to air, which was in 2009. They've been looking to get back into minis and have put a number of minis into development, Ascension being the first to get a greenlight. They haven't all been in development since 2009, though. Warriors of Oz, Ringworld, and Childhood's End were announced as being in development last year.
Old March 14 2014, 12:25 AM   #2965
Sindatur
Vice Admiral

^^^
Alice was the last Syfy miniseries to air, which was in 2009. They've been looking to get back into minis and have put a number of minis into development, Ascension being the first to get a greenlight. They haven't all been in development since 2009, though. Warriors of Oz, Ringworld, and Childhood's End were announced as being in development last year.
Ah, OK
has greenlighted its first miniseries since 2009
told me that the others were greenlighted prior to 2009, meaning Development Hell.

Old March 14 2014, 12:33 AM   #2966
Out Of My Vulcan Mind
Vice Admiral

A greenlight gets a series out of development and into production. In other words, this is the first miniseries they've actually ordered into production since 2009. The other minis were put into development last year, but haven't yet been greenlit.
Old March 14 2014, 12:37 AM   #2967
Sindatur
Vice Admiral

A greenlight gets a series out of development and into production. In other words, this is the first miniseries they've actually ordered into production since 2009.
Right, and the other three have been in development since before now, meaning since at least 2009, no?

Old March 14 2014, 12:57 AM   #2968
Christopher
Writer

Sindatur wrote: View Post
A greenlight gets a series out of development and into production. In other words, this is the first miniseries they've actually ordered into production since 2009.
Right, and the other three have been in development since before now, meaning since at least 2009, no?
No, you're missing the point. "Greenlighted" does not mean "put into development" as you're assuming. As OOMVM said, it means taken out of development and actually put into production. "Development," in case it's unclear, means exploring the idea on paper only -- series outline, pilot script, episode premises, concept art, etc. "Production" means the process of getting it onto the screen -- staffing, casting, building sets, making props and costumes, and actually filming episodes.

Thus, Syfy has put several miniseries into development since 2009, but it has not greenlighted a miniseries for production until now.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 14 2014, 01:02 AM   #2969
Sindatur
Vice Admiral

Christopher wrote: View Post
Sindatur wrote: View Post
No, you're missing the point. "Greenlighted" does not mean "put into development" as you're assuming. As OOMVM said, it means taken out of development and actually put into production. "Development," in case it's unclear, means exploring the idea on paper only -- series outline, pilot script, episode premises, concept art, etc. "Production" means the process of getting it onto the screen -- staffing, casting, building sets, making props and costumes, and actually filming episodes.

Thus, Syfy has put several miniseries into development since 2009, but it has not greenlighted a miniseries for production until now.
Ah, OK, thanks.

I thought I had seen the terminology of "Greenlighted for Development" used for Pilot Considerations

Old March 14 2014, 07:07 AM   #2970
JD
Admiral

^^^
Do Neverland (aired in 2011) and Treasure Island (aired in 2012) not count?