Shatner In Haven
By: T'Bonz on Nov 24

Retro Review: Covenant
By: Michelle on Nov 22

Two Official Starships Collection Previews
By: T'Bonz on Nov 21

Saldana: Women Issues In Hollywood
By: T'Bonz on Nov 21

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old March 12 2014, 09:43 PM   #16
Starbreaker
Fleet Admiral

View Starbreaker's Twitter Profile
Re: Do you think LotR holds up?

They're technical marvels and the acting is top notch. They were filmed in 1999 but they could easily have been made the other day.
Old March 12 2014, 09:58 PM   #17
Silvercrest
Rear Admiral

Chemahkuu wrote: View Post
sojourner wrote: View Post
Any movie over 10 years old should be remade. I cite Spiderman as proof.
Matrix trilogy it is then. But we're going to re-use Keanu Reeves just out of spite.
But this time around Keanu plays Agent Smith. Fits his acting better.
Naah, Keanu can play Neo — but only if they use a digital version of him, not a live Keanu. He'll be more convincing as an actor.
Silvercrest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 12 2014, 09:59 PM   #18
Chemahkuu
Vice Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to Chemahkuu

You're missing the joke but ok.
Old March 12 2014, 10:02 PM   #19
Silvercrest
Rear Admiral

No, just riding roughshod over the first joke. Bad form, sorry.
Silvercrest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 12 2014, 10:03 PM   #20
Chemahkuu
Vice Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to Chemahkuu

Just saying there's no need of a remake. Besides the Hobbit is currently being released so we'd at least have to wait a few years after it finished before considering it.

Say...2020.
Old March 12 2014, 10:22 PM   #21
Foxhot
Fleet Captain

This LORD OF THE RINGS was technically a reboot anyway. The only moment in the trilogy which doesn't hold up is Elijah Wood's incredibly wussy facial expression after Sam frees him from the mega-spider.
Old March 12 2014, 10:34 PM   #22
Wereghost
Part-time poltergeist

This thread is my motivation to finally watch that Extended Edition Blu-ray of Fellowship I bought a while ago. It's been a bunch of years since I last watched a LOTR movie in full, so it'll be interesting to see if they still continue to hold up, especially after the technical improvements brought by The Hobbit. But, sublime as they were, they were always flawed gems.

Any movie over 10 years old should be remade. I cite Spiderman as proof.
Citizen Kane, Lawrence Of Arabia, Star Wars. Just throwing those out there.
Old March 12 2014, 10:50 PM   #23
sojourner
Admiral

Yep, long over due for remakes.
Old March 12 2014, 10:51 PM   #24
Mach5
Rear Admiral

Fellowship of the Rings has some of the most impressive visuals ever seen on film and they hold up because they rely on much more than just computer graphics. Production design is astonishing, color palette is gorgeous, costumes are stunning... Howard Shore's score is beautiful, inspiring, a true joy to listen to. Actually, the only thing wrong with the movie is Elijah Wood's SW prequel tier acting (calling it "wooden" would be a shitty pun, IMO).

Liv Tyler is utter shite too, but since Arwen doesn't get much screen time anyway, it doesn't affect the movie all that much.

The Two Towers is generally considered the weakest part of the trilogy, but it happens to be my favorite. It suffers from bad pacing, feels dragged out at times (most of the stuff with Ents bored me to death, so I just skip it when I watch)... But the battle of Helm's Deep is a first rate thrill ride, and the music alone gives this movie high re-watch value.

Return of the King however is a deeply flawed, soulless clusterfuck with too many endings and an abundance of cringe worthy cheesiness. Still infinitely better than The Hobbit movies, though.
Old March 13 2014, 01:35 AM   #25
Set Harth
Rear Admiral

It's the Fellowship of the Ring, not the Fellowship of the Rings.

Mach5 wrote:
too many endings
It had the same ending as the book; the other ones weren't endings. In particular, stopping the story on the slopes of Mount Doom would have been a shitty excuse for an ending. That's why it wasn't sold as one. The screen just went black. Not the same thing.
Old March 13 2014, 03:13 AM   #26
Ancient Mariner
Rear Admiral

View Ancient Mariner's Twitter Profile

They aren't flawless, but yes, they hold up. Brilliantly so. Classic, iconic, landmark movie making. The Fellowship of the Ring, especially.
Old March 13 2014, 03:36 AM   #27
Mr Light
Admiral

I rewatched them a year ago, and they're still modern day classics, though I could see how they were made now rather than appearing impossibly real as they did at the time.

Mr Light is online now   Reply With Quote
Old March 13 2014, 04:37 AM   #28
DonIago
Rear Admiral

View DonIago's Twitter Profile Send a message via ICQ to DonIago Send a message via AIM to DonIago Send a message via Yahoo to DonIago

I'm now thinking how hilarious it might have been if DS9 had gone on for a season after the Dominion war and the show was consequently accused of having "too many endings". When you set up a large cast of characters and arc stories, of course there's going to be multiple endings.
DonIago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 13 2014, 12:11 PM   #29
Mach5
Rear Admiral

Set Harth wrote: View Post
It's the Fellowship of the Ring, not the Fellowship of the Rings.
*checks his DVD collection*

HOLY SHIT, YOU'RE RIGHT!

Set Harth wrote: View Post
Mach5 wrote:
too many endings
It had the same ending as the book; the other ones weren't endings. In particular, stopping the story on the slopes of Mount Doom would have been a shitty excuse for an ending. That's why it wasn't sold as one. The screen just went black. Not the same thing.
The main problem with these "endings" is the editing, direction and the tone of each and every one of them. They all feel like the screen could have faded to black after each of them, and there's WAY too much pathos there.

Oh, and remember that scene when lava hardens under The One Ring? Half the audience in my theater went like "OK, now you're just fucking with me!".

ROTK isn't really a bad movie. It's just that it could have been much batter, had Jackson downplayed some of it... Or most of it.

All in all, to answer the OP's question, yes, the trilogy does hold up quite nicely.

DonIago wrote: View Post
When you set up a large cast of characters and arc stories, of course there's going to be multiple endings.
The entire WYLB pt.2 is a one big set of goodbyes, and for some reason, it works perfectly. Maybe because we've spent seven years with those people (not counting Ezri) and have come to love them. I just wish Voyager and Enterprise ended in similar fashion.
Old March 13 2014, 12:32 PM   #30
Mr Light
Admiral

The original final book* climaxes with Chapter 3 and then goes on for another SIX chapters! At least he cut the Scouring of the Shire!

*nerd note. I am of course referring to the second "book" that comprises ROTK.

Mr Light is online now   Reply With Quote