Star Trek #39 Sneak Peek
By: T'Bonz on Dec 16

Star Trek 3 Potential Director Shortlist
By: T'Bonz on Dec 16

Official Starships Collection Update
By: T'Bonz on Dec 15

Retro Review: Prodigal Daughter
By: Michelle on Dec 13

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Welcome to the Trek BBS! > General Trek Discussion

General Trek Discussion Trek TV and cinema subjects not related to any specific series or movie.

Old March 13 2014, 04:04 AM   #16
Rķu rķu, chķu
Fleet Admiral

View Rķu rķu, chķu's Twitter Profile
Re: Does General Order 24 exist in TNG?

Clark Terrell wrote: View Post
Mr. Laser Beam wrote: View Post
I find this very likely. IMHO, there is no way in hell that Starfleet would ever actually destroy a planet like that. They simply don't stoop that low. That's genocide, and the Federation is above that.
Not all of the Federation, my friend.
Section 31 doesn't count.
Old March 13 2014, 04:12 AM   #17
Clark Terrell
Lieutenant Commander

Section 31 doesn't count.
Because they work behind the scenes or because they don't live by traditional Federation values?
Clark Terrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 13 2014, 04:16 AM   #18
Rķu rķu, chķu
Fleet Admiral

^ Because they're a rogue bunch of criminal terrorists, that's why. They don't even work for the Federation - they just do whatever they want. They're accountable to NO ONE.
Old March 13 2014, 04:25 AM   #19
Merry Christmas
Vice Admiral

(S31) They don't even work for the Federation ...
Debateably they don't work for the Federation's governing body, however they do work for the Federation itself, unofficial protectors.

Push The Button wrote: View Post
I read about a deleted scene ...
I've never heard of this scene. Was it filmed and then discarded, or was it from a preliminary script?

Merry Christmas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 13 2014, 04:39 AM   #20
Rķu rķu, chķu
Fleet Admiral

T'Girl wrote: View Post
Debateably they don't work for the Federation's governing body, however they do work for the Federation itself, unofficial protectors.
No, actually, they don't, because - like I said - Section 31 don't answer to the Federation. Section 31 does, quite literally, whatever it wants to. That's not "working for" anybody, by any definition of the phrase.
Old March 13 2014, 04:43 AM   #21
Clark Terrell
Lieutenant Commander

No, actually, they don't, because - like I said - Section 31 don't answer to the Federation. Section 31 does, quite literally, whatever it wants to. That's not "working for" anybody, by any definition of the phrase.
I think T'Girl's trying to say that they work toward advancing Federation interests despite not being an official part of their government. Sort of like militia groups claiming to be acting in defense of the United States.
Old March 13 2014, 04:45 AM   #22
F. King Daniel
Admiral

Sci wrote: View Post
For whatever it's worth, the novel A Time to Kill established that the Eminiar Amendment to the Federation Charter had banned the destruction of a planet (and by default rescinded General Order 24) by the time of TNG.
Let's hope it's not the death of them one day. There's some dangerous stuff out there.

^ Because they're a rogue bunch of criminal terrorists, that's why. They don't even work for the Federation - they just do whatever they want. They're accountable to NO ONE.
That's what the Federation wants you to think
Old March 13 2014, 04:48 AM   #23
Push The Button
Captain

T'Girl wrote: View Post

Push The Button wrote: View Post
I read about a deleted scene ...
I've never heard of this scene. Was it filmed and then discarded, or was it from a preliminary script?

Orionpressfanzines lists it as an "unaired scene" from an earlier version of the script, so not sure if it was actually filmed or not:

This dialogue between Scotty and McCoy was trimmed as well. Scotty has already gotten the command from Kirk to implement General Order 24 and has moved the Enterprise out of range of Eminiar's planetary defense systems:

INT. BRIDGE

Scott is sitting silently in the command seat. McCoy stands by, staring sympathetically at him. There is a long moment of silence.

McCOY
Are you going to do it?

SCOTT
You heard the captain. The order was clear.

McCOY
They'll die down there.

SCOTT
Blast you, McCoy! Don't you think I know that?

McCoy stares at him, shakes his head, turns away and stands there silently, staring at nothing. The bridge is totally silent.
Push The Button is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 13 2014, 04:56 AM   #24
Sleigh Ride
Commodore

IMO, Starfleet would not hesitate to have the needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few if there was an imminent threat on a solar system/galactic scale that was truly irrefutable and truly imminent...however, of course it would not be SOP, and I wonder if a Captain of a Star Ship would be given sole decision-making ability...unless at the utmost end of need with no ability to confirm or communicate...

...hmmmm....sounds like a pretty good premise for a movie!?!?!?
"If man is to survive, he will delight in the essential differences between men and between cultures. He will learn that differences in ideas and attitudes are a part of life's exciting variety, not something to fear" Gene Roddenberry
Sleigh Ride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 13 2014, 05:17 AM   #25
Xerxes1979
Captain

Sisko poisoned the entire biosphere of planet and nothing ever became of it. Only something like a general order 24 would have saved his ass from a war crimes trial.

How did that man sleep at night? I am sure a maquis camper or elder died as a result of the WMD attack. Since Starfleet info on the maquis was grossly inadequate it was never a morally correct assumption to believe they could evacuate a civilian population before ill health or death set in.
Old March 13 2014, 05:26 AM   #26
Clark Terrell
Lieutenant Commander

HIjol wrote: View Post
IMO, Starfleet would not hesitate to have the needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few if there was an imminent threat on a solar system/galactic scale that was truly irrefutable and truly imminent...however, of course it would not be SOP, and I wonder if a Captain of a Star Ship would be given sole decision-making ability...unless at the utmost end of need with no ability to confirm or communicate...

Yes, but it's also similar to the premise that gave us "The Alternative Factor," with Kirk being the sole man on the front lines against an impending invasion of his universe by the inhabitants of the anti-matter universe-- and the certain total, complete annihilation that was sure to follow.
Old March 13 2014, 09:43 AM   #27
Timo
Admiral

The TOS heroes never shied away from genocide. Nipping the enemy in the bud and being done with it was a sound and solid tactical approach, at least when dealing with the Space Amoeba, the Doomsday Machine, the Dikironium Cloud, the Salt Vampire...

You get the picture. Saying that genocide is bad is pretentious and disgusting if it's only supposed to apply on cuddly things like humans.

Timo Saloniemi
Timo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 13 2014, 10:43 AM   #28
BillJ
Admiral

View BillJ's Twitter Profile

nightwind1 wrote: View Post
BillJ wrote: View Post
No way to ever know. The 24th century is gone...
I don't know what this means.
I'm pretty sure it's a dig at JJ-Trek.
Huh? I love the Abramsverse films. My point was that no more live-action material is coming where the 24th century is concerned.

So there is no way we'll ever know.
Old March 13 2014, 10:55 AM   #29
Timo
Admiral

Well, Spock Prime can always utter a few illuminating phrases about how things were so much better back when he was only middle-aged, two centuries in the future...

Timo Saloniemi
Timo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 13 2014, 11:02 AM   #30
Sleigh Ride
Commodore

HIjol wrote: View Post

Yes, but it's also similar to the premise that gave us "The Alternative Factor," with Kirk being the sole man on the front lines against an impending invasion of his universe by the inhabitants of the anti-matter universe-- and the certain total, complete annihilation that was sure to follow.

Agreed, but in "The Alternative Factor", Star Fleet was aware and had time/impetus to send Kirk investigate...and his "final solution" did not destroy or kill...
"If man is to survive, he will delight in the essential differences between men and between cultures. He will learn that differences in ideas and attitudes are a part of life's exciting variety, not something to fear" Gene Roddenberry
Sleigh Ride is offline   Reply With Quote