New Funko Trek Figure
By: T'Bonz on Jul 21

Saldana As A Role Model

San Diego Comic-Con Trek Fan Guide

Cumberbatch As Turing

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Misc. Star Trek > Future of Trek

Future of Trek Discussion of future Trek projects.

Old March 12 2014, 01:06 AM   #31
urbandefault
Captain

Re: Should a New Star Trek show be willing to kill off major character

Kill em all, every week. No reason to spend money on long term contracts.

Seriously, if there is a good solid core of 3-5 characters it won't matter who fills the empty chairs. Modern era Trek weighed itself down with the regular cast of up to 9 characters. Not at all necessary, and after a while it gets boring.
Old March 12 2014, 03:14 AM   #32
Clark Terrell
Lieutenant Commander

Character deaths are fine as long as they happen in the flow of the story or series. Death for the sake of death is cheap and tacky.
Clark Terrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 12 2014, 10:37 PM   #33
Gotham Central
Vice Admiral

View Gotham Central's Twitter Profile

Yes characters should die, but more importantly the characters should be good and have some depth.

Killing random characters serves no purpose if we the audience are not invested in them. Thus it means that you have to have a show that takes time to build up characters so that their passing departure will have meaning.

DS9 was really the only Trek that was good at this. Yes most of the main cast were exempt from death, but the show spent so much time building up a large base of secondary characters that they were often as well developed as the main cast. Lets face it, Morn felt more integral to the environment of DS9 than Mayweather or Kim did...and he never spoke. That's good character development. DS9 took the time to show Damar going from henchman to statesman to rebel to martyr. Contrast that with the death of Joe Carey on Voyager.
And sing along in the age of paranoia

Green Day
Gotham Central is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 13 2014, 12:10 AM   #34
BigJake
Rear Admiral

Who was Joe Carey?
Old March 13 2014, 01:48 AM   #35
Clark Terrell
Lieutenant Commander

BigJake wrote: View Post
Who was Joe Carey?
A recurring character who butted heads with Torres during the show's first few episodes, until the latter was named Chief Engineer. After that, Carey appeared in "Relativity" and flirted with Seven of Nine despite having a wife and two kids before being killed in "Friendship One."
Old March 15 2014, 06:34 AM   #36
SolitaryJustice
Lieutenant

Kill characters. Pull the heart strings. Russell T. Davies and Stephen Moffat aren't afraid to do it, and look how they're doing. Get Ronald D. Moore involved. Write some good, classic Star Trek mixed with some heart-wrenching emotional tragedy, and you're golden.
Old March 15 2014, 06:46 PM   #37
Dale Sams
Captain

*I* make radical suggestions and I get piled on with "IF WE WANTED BSG WE"D WATCH IT!!!"
Dale Sams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 16 2014, 09:38 PM   #38
Bry_Sinclair
Commodore

I'm not think NuBSG or The Walking Dead, where everyone will most likely die a horrible, horrible death, but they should keep it realistic.

People get new assignments and promotions all the time, its unlikely most would stunt their career by sticking in the same place for ten years. As is the fact that space is vast, unknown and dangerous, casualties are to be expected--making them people we care about gives their loss some significant impact.
Old March 17 2014, 05:22 AM   #39
Clark Terrell
Lieutenant Commander

SolitaryJustice wrote: View Post
Kill characters. Pull the heart strings. Russell T. Davies and Stephen Moffat aren't afraid to do it, and look how they're doing. Get Ronald D. Moore involved. Write some good, classic Star Trek mixed with some heart-wrenching emotional tragedy, and you're golden.
This. Anything can work well as a plot device if it's part of a good story. Character development is driven by conflict, and something conflict arises through tragedy and heartbreak.
Old March 17 2014, 06:08 AM   #40
HIjol
Captain

...not until they are too old to do the Movie(s) that come after the series...
"If man is to survive, he will delight in the essential differences between men and between cultures. He will learn that differences in ideas and attitudes are a part of life's exciting variety, not something to fear" Gene Roddenberry
HIjol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 20 2014, 07:45 PM   #41
OpenMaw
Commander

I think having an organic, shifting and dynamic cast is something that any new Trek series could take from shows like BSG. Characters were getting promoted, moved around, finding themselves dealing with new crisis that affected them personally, and resonated beyond the confinements of one episode.

It's not just that Trek was afraid of death, it was afraid of change as a whole for quite a long time as it approaches it's end. At the end of an episode things were to be reset back to normal. It wasn't until Enterprise, and by the point that too much audience damage had been done, that Trek started to take some of the chances it needed to. Like having long term character arcs. (Trip's pain over the loss of his sister, the damage done to Enterprise, T'pols addiction to... Trellium D was it?)

If death is what the story demands for a character, then sure, go for it. Just as long as the show doesn't shoot itself in the foot by getting rid of all it's compelling characters ala what shows like E.R. did with the departure of one too many pivotal characters. The show lost most of it's dramatic edge. (For me, E.R. ended when Doctor Greene brought the show full circle.)

I would love to see characters moving up in rank, shifting to different duties over time, or simply being transferred off ship, having them become irregular guest characters later on.

An example from something i've been playing around with: Let's say you were to do a clean-slate-back-to-roots reboot of Star Trek, set it aboard The Enterprise when she was first launched with Robert April in command. Well, you could start with a character who would be akin to 'Number One' as a lieutenant, and have the XO be Commander Pike. After the first season or so Pike would be promoted to Captain and take a command of his own, and Number One would become the new XO. There could be some tension throughout that first set of stories as 'Number One' keeps her cool, but secretly is deeply troubled with the notion of command responsibility, all the while having a will-he-or-won't-he sub plot for Pike. The Enterprise is the latest and greatest. The things it may see on the frontier make Pike wonder if it would be a mistake to leave, even if he's been waiting for this own promotion for years now.

That's what I would do. I'd also have a character around that would, from a writing perspective only, be designed to die at some point to jolt audience expectations. It wouldn't exist in a vacuum, either. The death would lead to meaningful introspection and reflection for the characters around them.

It would also be rather nice to see some characters blow a mission and be set back in their careers, maybe become a little disillusioned with it all as a result. Maybe second guessing their reasons for having joined in the first place. Having other characters realize they're not cut out for one field and request a transfer to another department.

Some of these could even be "trap doors" ala what JMS had in place for all his characters on B5. That way if a character isn't working out for whatever reason you can redefine, or remove the character and bring in someone else. Keep things fluid, organic, and real.

It's not just a matter of the will to kill. It's the need to allow for dramatic events to expand outward from their starting point and blossom into the wonderful tapestry of emotions that make good story telling.

I say that the writer's bible for the new show should have a note in it somewhere that says "This is where we start, not where we stay."
Old March 20 2014, 10:44 PM   #42
JarodRussell
Vice Admiral

I don't get people's (writers or readers) obsession with killing characters.

The point is more about change. When you watch the first episode of TNG and then the last episode of TNG, how much had really significantly changed?
JarodRussell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 20 2014, 11:36 PM   #43
Clark Terrell
Lieutenant Commander

JarodRussell wrote: View Post

The point is more about change. When you watch the first episode of TNG and then the last episode of TNG, how much had really significantly changed?
Not much. Yar died. O'Brien transferred off the ship, and Wesley left Starfleet. Someone who'd seen only the first and last episodes of TNG wouldn't know that Pulaski had been on the ship for year, nor would they have any idea Picard was assimilated by the Borg. TNG went out of its way to maintain the status quo, as did its predecessor.
Old March 20 2014, 11:54 PM   #44
BigJake
Rear Admiral

Riker grew the beard, people. Riker grew the beard.

And Worf's hair was longer. And Geordi's visor wasn't a poorly-disguised banana comb anymore. And Q and Picard were old... somethings, not really friends, but...

But of course TNG was traditional episodic television. It only took baby steps out of that format. It was DS9 that had the largest and most rewarding experiments with story arcs.

Last edited by BigJake; March 21 2014 at 05:37 AM.
BigJake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 25 2014, 10:34 PM   #45
UUS Contrarian
Lieutenant

JarodRussell wrote: View Post
In Trek the main crew faces danger very often. It's realistic that some of them should bite the bullet.
UUS Contrarian is offline   Reply With Quote