Star Trek Seekers Cover Art
By: T'Bonz on Aug 27

Fan Film Axanar Kickstarter Success
By: T'Bonz on Aug 27

Two New Starship Collection Ships
By: T'Bonz on Aug 26

Trek Actor Wins Emmy
By: T'Bonz on Aug 26

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies XI+

Star Trek Movies XI+ Discuss J.J. Abrams' rebooted Star Trek here.

Old March 11 2014, 07:49 AM   #181
JD5000
Commander

Re: Khan's Into Darkness Appearance change finally explained

^ Ha ha, that's great. I'm sincerely thankful that we at least agree on the root, more serious issue. Semi-polite conflict is how we better ourselves, thanks to you I know have something else to ponder as I learn why I think how I think, and why other people think how they think.
JD5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 11 2014, 07:51 AM   #182
BigJake
Rear Admiral

It was fun. Enjoy the rest of your evening.
Old March 12 2014, 03:49 AM   #183
Hober Mallow
Commodore

Location: The planet Terminus, site of the Encyclopedia Foundation on the periphery of the galaxy

Anyway...

I'm too lazy to sift through the thread, but since Khan's appearance was finally explained, do the comics also go out of their way to come up with silly explanations for why everyone's faces changed since TOS.
Old March 12 2014, 09:20 AM   #184
BeatleJWOL
Commander

Send a message via AIM to BeatleJWOL Send a message via Yahoo to BeatleJWOL

Hober Mallow wrote: View Post
do the comics also go out of their way to come up with silly explanations for why everyone's faces changed since TOS.
No, because Khan is the only character so far we've seen that existed before the Abramsverse split from the prime timeline.
BeatleJWOL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 12 2014, 12:13 PM   #185
JarodRussell
Vice Admiral

Anyway...

I'm too lazy to sift through the thread, but since Khan's appearance was finally explained, do the comics also go out of their way to come up with silly explanations for why everyone's faces changed since TOS.
It was never about a face change, it was about a change of ethnicy. That's why there is an explanation given for how Khan Noonien Singh became a pale Brit.

A deleted scene in the film even explained why Carol Marcus spoke with British accent while Peter Weller spoke American accent.

I wished they would have cast a white Uhura, because that actress was the “best suited for the role“ or some other explanation based on talent. Just to see the discussion.
JarodRussell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 12 2014, 04:03 PM   #186
The Wormhole
Admiral

Anyway...

Not exactly, but the difference has been acknowledged a few times. In Countdown, Nero looks up a computer file on Captain Kirk, which features a picture drawn in Shatner's likeness. In an issue of the Ongoing series, Scotty and McCoy are discussing multiple realities and universes, and during their conversation we seem them being shadowed by their Prime Universe selves, drawn in the likeness of James Doohan and DeForest Kelly.
Old March 12 2014, 04:45 PM   #187
King Daniel Into Darkness
Admiral

But those are essentially easter eggs for fans. Old Spock recognized Kirk and Scotty at a glance, which means that in-universe, they look the same as their TOS counterparts.

(although I think it's fair to say that AU McCoy has been hitting the gym, and Scotty Prime likes to eat a lot more than his counterpart)
Old March 12 2014, 07:25 PM   #188
Ovation
Vice Admiral

Location: La Belle Province or The Green Mountain State (depends on the day of the week)

Scotty Prime probably didn't have to endure the forced weight loss regimen of Delta Vega, though.
Ovation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 13 2014, 08:46 PM   #189
Hartzilla2007
Vice Admiral

BeatleJWOL wrote: View Post
do the comics also go out of their way to come up with silly explanations for why everyone's faces changed since TOS.
No, because Khan is the only character so far we've seen that existed before the Abramsverse split from the prime timeline.
Spock is older than Kirk.
Hartzilla2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 13 2014, 09:53 PM   #190
JarodRussell
Vice Admiral

Hartzilla2007 wrote: View Post
So there's 5 years between his birth and the first time Nero fucked things up. Big deal. Khan was completely unaffected because he was frozen hundreds of years before.
JarodRussell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 14 2014, 09:22 PM   #191
BeatleJWOL
Commander

Send a message via AIM to BeatleJWOL Send a message via Yahoo to BeatleJWOL

Yeah, but also he looks the closest to the original, so there!

(this is why it should have been a clean reboot.)
BeatleJWOL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 14 2014, 10:14 PM   #192
The Stig
Rear Admiral

Yeah, but also he looks the closest to the original, so there!

(this is why it should have been a clean reboot.)
It really is a model of how trying to cater to the 'fans' is a losing battle that should never even be attempted.

All we know is, he's called The Stig.
The Stig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 15 2014, 01:32 AM   #193
Skywalker
Admiral

I really don't think most people care that the Abrams films weren't a clean reboot. It's not that big of an issue.
Skywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 16 2014, 02:46 PM   #194
The Stig
Rear Admiral

Skywalker wrote: View Post
I really don't think most people care that the Abrams films weren't a clean reboot. It's not that big of an issue.
It was structured that way because the writers were fans and wanted to tell an unfettered story about Trek without trampling all over established Trek. This was done out of respect for Trek and its fan base.

And it was answered with vitriol, wailing and gnashing of teeth from Trek purists everywhere.

The old adage of not pleasing all of the people all of the time goes double for cult fan bases like Trek. It's better to simply ignore their requests, entreaties and feelings since the level of rage will be roughly equivalent no matter what you do.

All we know is, he's called The Stig.
The Stig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 16 2014, 03:28 PM   #195
King Daniel Into Darkness
Admiral

The Stig wrote: View Post
Skywalker wrote: View Post
It was structured that way because the writers were fans and wanted to tell an unfettered story about Trek without trampling all over established Trek. This was done out of respect for Trek and its fan base.

And it was answered with vitriol, wailing and gnashing of teeth from Trek purists everywhere.

The old adage of not pleasing all of the people all of the time goes double for cult fan bases like Trek. It's better to simply ignore their requests, entreaties and feelings since the level of rage will be roughly equivalent no matter what you do.
Yes there was a vocal outcry (still ongoing on Facebook, five years later...), but I think the silent majority are fine with what was done. I for one think the way the new and old are linked is very clever, and opens up a ton of fun story possibilities both for the new movies and the novels set in the Primeline.

Look at something like Smallville or Man of Steel, neither set in the classic movie or comic continuities, yet both plagued with similar complaints from fanboys whenever they deviated from the old. A "clean slate" Trek would have (and one day will) face the same.