Inner Light Screenwriter Brooklyn Appearances
By: T'Bonz on Apr 15

Star Trek #44 Comic Preview
By: T'Bonz on Apr 14

Mulgrew Chicago Appearance
By: T'Bonz on Apr 14

Her Universe Fashion Show Contest
By: T'Bonz on Apr 13

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy All your nerd stuff goes here.

Old March 11 2014, 10:31 PM   #316
Mark_Nguyen
Commodore

Re: FLASH series being developed for The CW

I'm liking it too. Wonder how, or if, the suit will evolve as the showmakers refine it as the show goes on. Also, good call on putting bolts on the helmet instead of the wings - dodged a bullet by not doing that IMO, while still evoking that feel.

Given that these days they're NOT trying to do form-fitting leotards, this is a good look for sure. For comparison, the last time around, the Flash looked like this:

Mark

Oh, I like that Trek thing too...
Mark_Nguyen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 11 2014, 10:49 PM   #317
shivkala
Rear Admiral

^
I'd rank that Flash costume as one of the best live-action comics, even with the better on-screen versions we've seen lately. It's pretty impressive considering it's 20 years later.
"When I reach for the edge of the universe, I do it knowing that along some paths of cosmic discovery, there are times when, at least for now, one must be content to love the questions themselves." --Neil deGrasse Tyson
shivkala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 11 2014, 10:52 PM   #318
sojourner
Admiral

Can't see any image in Mark_Nguyen's post.

As for the new costume for the show, it looks good. Wish we could see the boots better. Are those laces? If so, that would look odd/not good.
Old March 11 2014, 10:59 PM   #319
shivkala
Rear Admiral

Here's another picture of the suit from the 90's show:
"When I reach for the edge of the universe, I do it knowing that along some paths of cosmic discovery, there are times when, at least for now, one must be content to love the questions themselves." --Neil deGrasse Tyson
Old March 11 2014, 10:59 PM   #320
CorporalCaptain
Admiral

Christopher wrote: View Post
As long as the body as a whole has sufficient cooling, it doesn't need to be completely uniform.
As long as blood circulation is rapid enough, sure.

At this point, I'm probably overanalyzing things, so I'll stop.
Old March 11 2014, 11:17 PM   #321
Mark_Nguyen
Commodore

Dunno why it doesn't work.. Google "Shipp Flash" and you'll find plenty though.

And yes, compared to other stuff happening in the 90s on TV, the Flash costume was definitely one of the better ones - obviously influenced by the 1989 Batman look. Too bad that design sensibility didn't carry on to other stuff that happened later. I mean really, look at the best ABC could do three years after the Flash series was cancelled:

Pretty cool at the time, but MAN does that look dated and amateur now. Dean Cain looked like he was wearing a THWOMP monster from Super Mario. :P

And on a tangent, but my country's 2002 Olympic speed skating suit obviously shared some "Flashiness", as it were.

Mark

Oh, I like that Trek thing too...
Mark_Nguyen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 11 2014, 11:22 PM   #322
Agent Richard07
Admiral

^ At the time, people weren't open to seeing the traditional Superman costume changed. Plus, Superman doesn't need armor or anything with a special design the way Batman or the Flash do.
Agent Richard07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 11 2014, 11:32 PM   #323
shivkala
Rear Admiral

I don't know that it's enough to say people didn't want to see the costume changed. I'd argue Shipp's costume was pretty accurate for the comics (though, the comics at the time of the series adopted the "shiny costume" (see below for Wally's early 90's costume on the left and Barry's on the right).

Granted, Superman's costume is more recognizable.

Mark_Nguyen, not being interested in the Olympics, I didn't see the speed skating outfits. Your country has a nice design and you are right, it has a "Flashiness" to it. On the other hand, I did hear about about the US speed skating costumes and the controversy surrounding their uniforms.
Old March 11 2014, 11:35 PM   #324
Guy Gardener
Fleet Admiral

The 1990 Flash was using a Deep Sea Diving suit specially designed to thrive at several dozen atmospheres of pressure.

Dean's suit is classic, and there is nothing wrong with it.

(Well, they did fuck up the boots in the pilot, but they got on top of that eventually.)

How they draw Superman today trying to emulate the new movie is not good.

The good artists can make it look fine, but the bad artists (if you can draw 60 to 90 pages a month without complaining, they will keep renewing your contract even if your "style" is not beloved.) are turning out laughable shit.

Are they still going to be trying to draw Superman in a metal suit with a weird collar in ten years after this franchise is done and they've passed on the torch to a new producer to reenvision Superman again?

Seriously! I meet people who still call the Nolan Batman "new" because it's not the Burton Batman, even though Affleck is suiting up as we speak.

A month in the comics can be about 15 years in real time.

Troy Yingst. My Life as Liz
Guy Gardener is online now   Reply With Quote
Old March 11 2014, 11:42 PM   #325
shivkala
Rear Admiral

Tonally, Cain's suit is fine, it goes well with Lois and Clark. That being said, I don't find it to be a great costume, overall. Granted it had a movie budget, but I thought Routh's costume was a good mix of the classic style with a more modern feel. Compared to Routh's Cain's looks like something a mall-Superman would dress in.
Old March 12 2014, 01:04 AM   #326
davejames
Vice Admiral

Pretty sure that's just an early promo shot of Cain. The suit in the actual show was much more respectable than that, and not nearly as low-cut.

davejames is online now   Reply With Quote
Old March 12 2014, 01:23 AM   #327
Guy Gardener
Fleet Admiral

How the cape collects at the shoulders in those two shots are completely different.

Also, in the pilot, and only the pilot, Cain had a tiny fledgling mullet like Kal did in the comics.

I swear there's this zone of "i don't give a shit" surrounding Teri Hatcher, that will allow me to put up with almost anything, just to watch her walk and talk.

Troy Yingst. My Life as Liz
Guy Gardener is online now   Reply With Quote
Old March 12 2014, 03:49 AM   #328
shivkala
Rear Admiral

And now we've got a shot of the suit in action:

You can see some video of this scene here.
Old March 12 2014, 03:51 AM   #329
sojourner
Admiral

I LOL'd. Never has a costume gone from "looks great" to "fail" so quickly.

Why is he wearing boxing boots?

OK, I'll give it that most of the fail may be in that pose, but still, not good.
Old March 12 2014, 03:55 AM   #330
Christopher
Writer

It still looks okay to me, allowing for the fact that that midair pose is unflattering. I see they kept something of the lightning-belt design after all. I could've done without the New 52-ish yellow seams, though.