Official Starships Collection Update
By: T'Bonz on Dec 15

Retro Review: Prodigal Daughter
By: Michelle on Dec 13

Sindicate Lager To Debut In The US Next Week
By: T'Bonz on Dec 12

Rumor Mill: Saldana Gives Birth
By: T'Bonz on Dec 12

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > TV & Media

TV & Media Non-Trek television, movies, books, music, etc.

Old February 19 2014, 07:24 AM   #76
Frontier
Vice Admiral

View Frontier's Twitter Profile Send a message via AIM to Frontier
Re: What is NBC thinking????

I hate Jay Leno. Never liked him, but after he didn't do the honorable thing and tell NBC to go scratch when they didn't like how Conan was performing and wanted to put him back, that was it. The man could have done the noble thing and instead he did what he wanted and, once again, screwed someone with far more talent than himself out of a job that was rightfully theirs.

Leno is a low-brow comic and never was worthy of the show or the legacy left by Johnny Carson. Glad he's finally gone. Don't know how Fallon will fair, never watched him either. But Leno is an ass and I hope we never hear from him again.

Frontier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 19 2014, 07:29 AM   #77
Frontier
Vice Admiral

View Frontier's Twitter Profile Send a message via AIM to Frontier

The stage is too small, but I believe it's the same studio the show started on back in the day, and that is why they're using it. It's the original studio and so was built smaller. I think though that it'll be changed within a year or so, it is far too small.

Frontier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 19 2014, 08:12 AM   #78
Owain Taggart
Rear Admiral

Frontier wrote: View Post
The stage is too small, but I believe it's the same studio the show started on back in the day, and that is why they're using it. It's the original studio and so was built smaller. I think though that it'll be changed within a year or so, it is far too small.

Interesting if that's true about it being the original studio. I hope they use that as some marketing leverage. Missed the first episode, and I think they should have waited until after the Olympics. Caught his intro on Youtube, and it seems to me like this is a theatre stage vs a full-on studio stage. The studio in California was much bigger, but the set was still quite a bit smaller, with the cameras making it look bigger. Difficult sometimes to get an impression of how big a set is while seeing it on TV. But this set definitely looks smaller, there's no doubt about it. On the other hand, there's less travel for the cameras, though it must be cramped too.

The one thing I really liked that Leno did was the Jaywalking. Hope Fallon does something similar, interacting with people on the streets, even if it's in doing something different.
Owain Taggart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 19 2014, 08:28 AM   #79
Mr. Adventure
Admiral

Owain Taggart wrote: View Post
The one thing I really liked that Leno did was the Jaywalking. Hope Fallon does something similar, interacting with people on the streets, even if it's in doing something different.
I'm trying to remember, I don't think Fallon has ever done "man on the street" type segments.
Mr. Adventure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 19 2014, 01:36 PM   #80
Photoman15
Fleet Captain

It was even funnier before he stole it (Jaywalking).
Old February 19 2014, 08:59 PM   #81
Owain Taggart
Rear Admiral

Photoman15 wrote: View Post

It was even funnier before he stole it (Jaywalking).

Yeah, which is why I say, something similar, as I know it's been done before. Fallon is known to be interactive, and I'd think something like that would fit his style. Leno was better at it when he was asking trivia, but within the last several years, he switched gears to reenactments of movies and music videos which wasn't nearly as good.
Owain Taggart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 19 2014, 09:02 PM   #82
bigdaddy
Vice Admiral

His old set is better, it's like his old set had sex with a chess board, Seinfield is right.

Seth Meyers show starts Monday.

Does no one see the irony in the fact they were going to let Conan keep The Tonight Show but move it to midnight... and the new show starts at midnight this week?
Old February 20 2014, 07:17 AM   #83
Turtletrekker
Vice Admiral

So far, he's been "meh".

Still better than Leno.
Old February 20 2014, 08:25 AM   #84
bigdaddy
Vice Admiral

Turtletrekker wrote: View Post
So far, he's been "meh".

Still better than Leno.
I just cleaned the cat's liter box.

It was better than Leno.
Old February 20 2014, 03:42 PM   #85
Hopeful Cynic
Ensign

bigdaddy wrote: View Post
Turtletrekker wrote: View Post
So far, he's been "meh".

Still better than Leno.
I just cleaned the cat's liter box.

It was better than Leno.
I was kidnapped and forced to cut off my own foot with a dull rusty hacksaw. It was better than Leno.
Old February 20 2014, 04:17 PM   #86
wissaboo
Captain

View wissaboo's Twitter Profile

Man, there was a day when people would go out of their way to watch the tonight show when Leno was guest hosting.
wissaboo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 20 2014, 07:05 PM   #87
J.T.B.
Commodore

wissaboo wrote: View Post
Man, there was a day when people would go out of their way to watch the tonight show when Leno was guest hosting.
There was a day when people went out of their way to catch Late Night with David Letterman when Leno was a guest, too. I was one of them. But for whatever reason, what made him funny as a comedian in the '80s died in the transition to talk show host in the '90s.
J.T.B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 20 2014, 08:31 PM   #88
gblews
Rear Admiral

View gblews's Twitter Profile

J.T.B. wrote: View Post
wissaboo wrote: View Post
There was a day when people went out of their way to catch Late Night with David Letterman when Leno was a guest, too. I was one of them. But for whatever reason, what made him funny as a comedian in the '80s died in the transition to talk show host in the '90s.
Yes, Leno's "whats my beef" bit on Letterman was really funny. I once saw Jay at the old Comedy Store on Sunset back in the 70's before he was anyone and he killed that night. He was far and away the best comedian on the bill.

But seems like in his eagerness to NEVER rock the boat on Tonight, fuled probably by his rampant insecurities, he de-evolved into a lamer and lamer comedian.

Who knows, maybe the firing will rekindle that fire in his belly and make him a better comic.
gblews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 11 2014, 03:40 PM   #89
Mr. Adventure
Admiral

Well, apparently from what I've read this move has been successful so far. More viewers and younger ones as well.

As I had figured Fallon does seem to have dropped the audience participation from Late Night but it's kept most of its Late Night character. Seems pretty successful so far.
Mr. Adventure is offline   Reply With Quote