Saldana In The Book of Life
By: T'Bonz on Oct 17

Cracked’s New Sci-Fi Satire
By: T'Bonz on Oct 16

Beltran Introduces Shakespeare To Theater Group

Burton To Be Honored at Facets Boo! Bash

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > Deep Space Nine

Deep Space Nine What We Left Behind, we will always have here.

Old March 9 2014, 01:56 PM   #136
ATimson
Rear Admiral

Re: DS9 on blu ray?

MacLeod wrote: View Post
99.9% of all shots of starbase Deep Space Nine was model work.
I'm sure there's got to be more 9s on that, seeing as how there was exactly one CGI shot of it in the series...

"...don't mistake a few fans bitching on the Internet for any kind of trend." - Keith R.A. DeCandido
ATimson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 9 2014, 07:10 PM   #137
dub
Fleet Captain

ATimson wrote: View Post
I'm sure there's got to be more 9s on that, seeing as how there was exactly one CGI shot of it in the series...
Hmm. Learned something new. Cool! It's a beautiful model.
dub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 9 2014, 09:05 PM   #138
M
Vice Admiral

Here, I did one of those screenshot comparison thingies. Look at all the glorious detail!

Something weird I noticed while doing this, though: (1.) I had to strech the original image quite a bit horizontally to make it fit the remastered one, (2.) they reversed the shot for the trailer and (3.) there's apparently an error, because in the original the nacelle cap on the right is behind the docking pylon. In the remastered shot it's placed in front of it! Or am I seeing it wrong?

BeatleJWOL wrote: View Post
M wrote: View Post
Tried to photoshop the camera movement into one shot. Sorry for stretching the page, but this has to be seen in all it's glory.
New desktop background!
Glad to be of service!
Garak: »Especially the lies.«
M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 9 2014, 09:10 PM   #139
Hober Mallow
Commodore

Location: The planet Terminus, site of the Encyclopedia Foundation on the periphery of the galaxy

there's apparently an error, because in the original the nacelle cap on the right is behind the docking pylon. In the remastered shot it's placed in front of it! Or am I seeing it wrong?
The first shot is so blurry, but I think even there the nacelle is in foreground.
Old March 9 2014, 09:14 PM   #140
M
Vice Admiral

Hober Mallow wrote: View Post
there's apparently an error, because in the original the nacelle cap on the right is behind the docking pylon. In the remastered shot it's placed in front of it! Or am I seeing it wrong?
The first shot is so blurry, but I think even there the nacelle is in foreground.
Hm, maybe you are right. To me it looks like it's behind it. Here's the shot in motion.
Garak: »Especially the lies.«
M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 9 2014, 09:15 PM   #141
Hober Mallow
Commodore

Location: The planet Terminus, site of the Encyclopedia Foundation on the periphery of the galaxy

Hm, maybe you are right. To me it looks like it's behind it. Here's the shot in motion.
Hmm... I dunno. Maybe we weren't supposed to look too carefully.
Old March 10 2014, 04:13 AM   #142
Tosk
Rear Admiral

http://ds9.trekcore.com/gallery/albu...missary167.jpg
Tosk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 10 2014, 08:29 PM   #143
The Fiend
Torturing Savage Dragon

I think you just have two slightly different shots that you are comparing. As the shot starts the nacelle cap appears to be hidden by the pylon but as the shot moves up and the perspective changes the nacelle cap is revealed. At least that's what I'm seeing from the video you linked.
The Fiend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 10 2014, 11:09 PM   #144
Shaka Zulu
Fleet Captain

borgboy wrote: View Post
I also wish that they had done a "movie edit" of the two Tribble episodes, that sounds like a fun idea.
You can always do your own movie edit, if you have the software and hardware to do it.

Dick_Valentine wrote: View Post
And I want the writers ideas and imaginations not be limited by 1980s effects houses.

What's good for the goose isn't good for the gander.
THIS.

It's time for people to accept that HDTV is here, and that in order for older shows to be aired and accepted in the new medium, they may have to be modified somewhat.

For my part, I would've loved to have seen a re-master of TNG in which all of the ships are replaced with new CGI ships,but I guess that CBS wasn't willing (or didn't have the moolah) to make it like that. Hopefully, that can be done with DS9

Last edited by Shaka Zulu; March 10 2014 at 11:52 PM.
Shaka Zulu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 10 2014, 11:16 PM   #145
MacLeod
Admiral

dub wrote: View Post
ATimson wrote: View Post
Hmm. Learned something new. Cool! It's a beautiful model.
Yep the very last shot with the pull out from the promenade if memory serves.
On the continent of wild endeavour in the mountains of solace and solitude there stood the citadel of the time lords, the oldest and most mighty race in the universe looking down on the galaxies below sworn never to interfere only to watch.
MacLeod is online now   Reply With Quote
Old March 11 2014, 12:00 AM   #146
trekker670
Fleet Captain

Yep the very last shot with the pull out from the promenade if memory serves.
Yep, only the very last shot of the station in the entire series is CG. The CG model had been created well before, but was never needed. For the last shot (pulling out from Jake/Kira in the promenade to the exterior of the station and out into space), logistically CG was the best way to do this.
trekker670 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old March 11 2014, 03:07 AM   #147
Hober Mallow
Commodore

Shaka Zulu wrote: View Post
It's time for people to accept that HDTV is here, and that in order for older shows to be aired and accepted in the new medium, they may have to be modified somewhat.
Why would model shots on film whose resolution is already far greater than your HDTV is even capable of displaying need to be modified? In order for older shows to be accepted we have to give the audience worse shots with less resolution? I'm not quite following that logic.
Old March 11 2014, 04:12 AM   #148
MakeshiftPython
Captain

It's the same mentality that brought on colorization of black and white films. Sure, there will always be folks that will dismiss watching a film if it's older than their parents and presented in black and white, but that's THEIR problem, not the show's or film's.
MakeshiftPython is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 11 2014, 04:20 AM   #149
George Steinbrenner
Fleet Admiral

View George Steinbrenner's Twitter Profile

Why would model shots on film whose resolution is already far greater than your HDTV is even capable of displaying need to be modified? In order for older shows to be accepted we have to give the audience worse shots with less resolution? I'm not quite following that logic.
In DS9's case, it's the fact that all of the editing was done on videotape. That destroyed the HD resolution right away. From then on, DS9 maxed out at 480i. That's why it has to be remastered for HD.
It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion.
George Steinbrenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 11 2014, 10:46 AM   #150
Start Wreck
Fleet Captain

Mr. Laser Beam wrote: View Post
In DS9's case, it's the fact that all of the editing was done on videotape. That destroyed the HD resolution right away. From then on, DS9 maxed out at 480i. That's why it has to be remastered for HD.
That explains why it needs to be remastered; it doesn't explain why it needs to be modified.
Start Wreck is offline   Reply With Quote