Star Trek 3 Potential Director Shortlist
By: T'Bonz on Dec 16

Official Starships Collection Update
By: T'Bonz on Dec 15

Retro Review: Prodigal Daughter
By: Michelle on Dec 13

Sindicate Lager To Debut In The US Next Week
By: T'Bonz on Dec 12

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > TV & Media

TV & Media Non-Trek television, movies, books, music, etc.

Old March 9 2014, 08:17 PM   #31
Flying Spaghetti Monster
Vice Admiral

Re: "Fargo" becomes a minii-series

I am convinced that No Country for Old men had been delivered, as is, no changes whatsoever, accept that the it said "written adn directed by Steven Spielberg" it would have been panned for the atrocity it is (that's even considering that Spielberg has a far more diverse resume than the Coen's in terms of genres).

The film is praised because, well, it's the Coens. To the film community, they can do no wrong.
Old March 9 2014, 08:21 PM   #32
Harvey
Admiral

Just because he's an incidental character doesn't mean he can't provide the film with "a great detail" (assuming your quoting Siskel and Ebert correctly).

As for the nebulously defined "film community" you describe as saying the Coen brothers "can do no wrong," I direct you to the reviews of their remake of The Ladykillers.

My blog: Star Trek Fact Check.
Harvey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 9 2014, 08:25 PM   #33
Harvey
Admiral

Flying Spaghetti Monster wrote: View Post
I am convinced that No Country for Old men had been delivered, as is, no changes whatsoever, accept that the it said "written adn directed by Steven Spielberg" it would have been panned for the atrocity it is (that's even considering that Spielberg has a far more diverse resume than the Coen's in terms of genres).
If you say so. I don't see the point in arguing with such an implausible hypothetical.

My blog: Star Trek Fact Check.
Harvey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 9 2014, 08:35 PM   #34
Flying Spaghetti Monster
Vice Admiral

Just because he's an incidental character doesn't mean he can't provide the film with "a great detail" (assuming your quoting Siskel and Ebert correctly).
about the 4 min timestamp
Old March 9 2014, 08:35 PM   #35
sidious618
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to sidious618

It's always dangerous to speak objectively about art, but saying the Coen Brothers are bad writers is pretty much objectively wrong (I exaggerate, but just a little!). To add to it, No Country For Old Men is adapted, in many cases word for word, from Cormac McCarthy.

Last edited by sidious618; March 9 2014 at 08:45 PM.
sidious618 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 9 2014, 08:58 PM   #36
Flying Spaghetti Monster
Vice Admiral

I don't care what critics say, or even popular opinion. I've been bringing up specific points from the films.
Old March 10 2014, 02:34 AM   #37
Sleigh Ride
Commodore

...the above exchanges are proof positive that "Fargo" is not for everybody...IMO, it is most of that tremendous cast's best work, and if I ever had the chance to ask them, I would hope they would agree...

"...unguent..."
"If man is to survive, he will delight in the essential differences between men and between cultures. He will learn that differences in ideas and attitudes are a part of life's exciting variety, not something to fear" Gene Roddenberry
Sleigh Ride is online now   Reply With Quote
Old March 10 2014, 08:24 PM   #38
Shik
Commander

And now, time for a tangent that I can't believe hasn't been mentioned yet.

Anyone heard of Kumiko, The Treasure Hunter? It's been sweeping the buzz at Sundance, & it looks really, cool. The premise is that Kumiko lives in a cluttered, cramped apartment in Tokyo with her pet rabbit, Bunzo. She works as an office lady, robotically preparing tea and fetching dry cleaning for her nitpicky boss. But on her own time, she obsessively watches a well-known American film on a weathered VHS tape: Fargo. Rewinding and fast-forwarding repeatedly, she meticulously maps out where a briefcase of castaway loot is buried within the fictional film. After hours of intense research—convinced that her destiny depends on finding the money—Kumiko heads to the United States and into the harsh Minnesota winter to search for it. It's inspired by a Japanese urban legend of a woman doing a similar trip, & starts Kikuchi Rinko of Pacific Rim fame.
Old March 11 2014, 08:05 AM   #39
Sleigh Ride
Commodore

Cue "Fargo" music and white out the screen...meld white out screen slowly to resolution, we see a new "Pulsar" Class star ship, the U.S.S. North Dakota, do a flyby of the car dealership...Jerry Lundegaard points skyward, and flees the scene...fade and cue Pink Floyd, "Money", done as an instrumental with LOTS of French horns...roll intro credits...
"If man is to survive, he will delight in the essential differences between men and between cultures. He will learn that differences in ideas and attitudes are a part of life's exciting variety, not something to fear" Gene Roddenberry
Old March 29 2014, 10:42 AM   #40
Flying Spaghetti Monster
Vice Admiral

Here's a bit more about the story and cast. Billy Bob Thornton and Martin Freeman are in this

Old March 29 2014, 05:02 PM   #41
Agent Richard07
Retired

Martin Freeman said that he took the job because it was short-term but he's open to coming back for more.
Agent Richard07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 30 2014, 04:28 PM   #42
Sleigh Ride
Commodore

"Yeah, but that tru-coat..."
Old April 28 2014, 04:30 PM   #43
Asbo Zaprudder
Rear Admiral

Slightly necro'ing the thread but is anyone watching this?
Asbo Zaprudder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 28 2014, 04:47 PM   #44
auntiehill
Fleet Admiral

I am. Really enjoying it so far. They have the tone just right, and an excellent cast.
"This boy is Ignorance. This girl is Want. Beware them both,and all of their degree, but most of all beware this boy, for on his brow I see that written which is Doom, unless the writing be erased." -Dickens.
auntiehill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 28 2014, 04:57 PM   #45
ITElf
Vice Admiral

I'm loving it. Billy Bob is on excellent dangerous-creepy-dude form, and it really does fit in well with the Coen way of doing things.