IDW Publishing January Comics
By: T'Bonz on Oct 20

Retro Review: Chrysalis
By: Michelle on Oct 18

The Next Generation Season Seven Blu-ray Details
By: T'Bonz on Oct 17

CBS Launches Streaming Service
By: T'Bonz on Oct 17

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Lounges & General Chat > Miscellaneous

Miscellaneous Discussion of non-Trek topics.

Old March 11 2014, 02:18 AM   #31
Marc
Fleet Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Marc
Re: Malaysian airliner feared lost..

Captrek wrote: View Post
Malaysia Airlines Flight MH370: Why is it taking so long to find?

Likely scenario, if I'm understanding this right: catastrophic systems failure causes loss of radio, pressure, and navigation. Pilots, unable to communicate, turn the plane back toward Malaysia, as accurately as they can under the circumstances, which may include only a few seconds of useful consciousness. Plane continues to fly for quite some distance with no communications and nobody conscious at the wheel. Not sure of its exact heading, the search area could be enormous.

Alternatively, they were grabbed by Martians and are currently dining with Amelia Earhart. Or Amelia Pond. Or both.
At the first sign of preasure loss, the pilots are trained to don their oxygen masks.

And there's no way that plane could continue to fly hands off if it had suffered such a catastrophic loss of systems.

A 737 went down a few years back a loss of air pressure causing everyone to black out and flew on autopilot until it ran out of fuel and crashed but they were able to track it.

If the MAS 777 had suffered something similar it would have still be able to be tracked on radar as long as the transport continued to function.

The 777 is also a fly-by-wire aircraft so if the computer systems suffered such a fault as speculated about it wouldn't have stayed airborne.

Pres. Merkin P. Muffly
Marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 11 2014, 02:25 AM   #32
Trek or Treat!
Rear Admiral

Marc wrote: View Post
And there's no way that plane could continue to fly hands off if it had suffered such a catastrophic loss of systems.
Perhaps "fly" wasn't the right word, but from the linked article:
if the engines had died on a Boeing 777 at 35,000 feet, the glide slope would indicate that it could be about 100 miles from the last known location.
Trek or Treat! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 11 2014, 02:30 AM   #33
WalkerBait
Trekker4747

Still, they would have gotten some signal from the transponder, GPS and other navigating devices on the plane. Not to mention the locator signals from the "black boxes."
Old March 11 2014, 02:40 AM   #34
I Am Groot
I Am Groot

Trekker4747 wrote: View Post
I've heard stories that family members have tried calling the phones of loved ones and the calls are connecting, just not being answered. Suggesting personal phones in the plane are still active. If they were off, dead, or destroyed the calls wouldn't connect and go either voicemail or an error message.
Not necessarily.

Malaysia Airlines Passengers' Phones Ringing? Maybe Not

By Devin Coldewey

Reports are emerging that some cellphones of passengers on the missing Malaysia Airlines Flight 370 are ringing — but no one picks up. However eerie this seems, it may have more to do with how mobile phones and networks operate than any deeper mystery.

According to a China.org.cn report, 19 families signed a statement saying that dialing their loved ones' phones leads to a ring, rather than going straight to voicemail, as one would expect of a phone in airplane mode or otherwise unable to be reached.

But it's not that simple. When you hit the call button on some phones, a ringing tone begins immediately.

"However, that does not mean the phone you are calling is ringing yet," wrote wireless analyst Jeff Kagan in an email to NBC News. "The network is searching for the phone. First based on where it last was, then it expands. Then if the network can't find the phone, the call terminates."

The search for the party on the receiving end may be nearly instantaneous, or take a few seconds — during which time the phone (depending on model, network and other variables) may or may not make a ringing noise to indicate to the caller that it is attempting to make the cell connection. So while it may ring four times for you, the person you're calling may only hear it ring once -- or not at all.

If the phone you're calling is in airplane mode, or is off, out of range, or destroyed, the network may still take a few seconds to confirm it's unreachable.

In a video from a Chinese news channel purporting to show one of the calls in question, the caller's phone appears to ring for only a second or so before failing. The family members who were able to "get through" or "connect" to a missing person's phone, which subsequently "hung up," could very possibly be experiencing this caller-side ringing effect, Kagan said.

http://www.nbcnews.com/storyline/mis...ybe-not-n49371
Old March 11 2014, 02:45 AM   #35
Trek or Treat!
Rear Admiral

Trekker4747 wrote: View Post
Still, they would have gotten some signal from the transponder, GPS and other navigating devices on the plane. Not to mention the locator signals from the "black boxes."
Then I guess we're back to SPECTRE agents armed with knockout gas and some very selective electronic jamming gizmo.
Trek or Treat! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 11 2014, 02:53 AM   #36
I Am Groot
I Am Groot

After a thorough search of my home, I can confidently report that the missing airliner is definitely not here.

I've done my part.
Alternatively, they were grabbed by Martians and are currently dining with Amelia Earhart. Or Amelia Pond. Or both.
Then I guess we're back to SPECTRE agents armed with knockout gas and some very selective electronic jamming gizmo.
Don't let the death of 239 people stop your one man show or anything.
Old March 11 2014, 03:14 AM   #37
USS Triumphant
Rear Admiral

Locutus of Bored wrote: View Post
Don't let the death of 239 people stop your one man show or anything.
Humor is how some people cope. Also, we don't really know they're dead until we KNOW, so until we do, it is more pleasant to think that something bizarre and wonderful has happened rather than something bizarre and terrible. Personally, I'd like for the answer to turn out to be that the plane will somehow make an emergency landing on a sparse section of Interstate 40 in North Carolina at around 3 AM tonight, with all hands and passengers safe and alive. I'm extremely doubtful of that, of course, but I'd certainly take it.
Old March 11 2014, 09:54 AM   #38
Nociod
Fleet Captain

The Malaysian government is downplaying the terrorist angle, as it looks like the two passengers with the fake passports were Iranian nationals, wanting to settle down in Europe.
Nociod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 11 2014, 10:13 AM   #39
EmoBorg
Fleet Captain

Malaysian Shamans aka Bomohs are offering to look for the missing aircraft now. The choice of Shaman equipment is interesting.

http://sg.news.yahoo.com/raja-bomoh-...142834507.html

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HIRfc3ybbPg
EmoBorg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 11 2014, 10:19 AM   #40
Rainbow Dash
Rainbow Horse Man

Send a message via ICQ to Rainbow Dash Send a message via AIM to Rainbow Dash Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Rainbow Dash Send a message via Yahoo to Rainbow Dash

Well, these people don't need that shit. They need real help. Hopefully they're alive and found soon.
I think heaven is what you make it. When I close my eyes for the final time, I hope to wake up standing in a grassy, breezy, sunlit field, a green tennis ball at my feet, and a little black lab, with a white diamond on her chest, running right towards me.
Rainbow Dash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 11 2014, 11:08 AM   #41
teacock
Admiral

Of course they are not alive.

"Damnit Spock. God damnit!" Kirk ST:V
■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
teacock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 11 2014, 11:31 AM   #42
Roger Wilco
Admiral

teacake wrote: View Post
Of course they are not alive.
Yeah. To think there are any survivors seems incredibly optimistic at this point.
Old March 11 2014, 11:41 AM   #43
Rainbow Dash
Rainbow Horse Man

Send a message via ICQ to Rainbow Dash Send a message via AIM to Rainbow Dash Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Rainbow Dash Send a message via Yahoo to Rainbow Dash

Well, I'm an incredible optimist.
I think heaven is what you make it. When I close my eyes for the final time, I hope to wake up standing in a grassy, breezy, sunlit field, a green tennis ball at my feet, and a little black lab, with a white diamond on her chest, running right towards me.
Rainbow Dash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 11 2014, 12:42 PM   #44
JRS
Fleet Captain

Where is this plane? seems so eerie somehow the whole thing.
I do feel for the loved ones of the passengers, it is certainly the most horrible situation for them

I am having a strange feeling that the plane either crashed on land( not plausible, I know..) or was destroyed somehow in mid-air,..but then there would be lots of pieces falling down from that, not to mention bodies, luggage and so forth.
It is truly a mystery.
I hope they find the plane soon though, wherever it might be.
"Always give your best, never get discouraged, never be petty; always remember, others may hate you, but those who hate you don't win unless you hate them, and then you destroy yourself " - Richard Nixon
JRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 11 2014, 12:48 PM   #45
Alidar Jarok
Everything in moderation but moderation

Nociod wrote: View Post
The Malaysian government is downplaying the terrorist angle, as it looks like the two passengers with the fake passports were Iranian nationals, wanting to settle down in Europe.
Yeah, they were probably seeking asylum, making that mini-mystery resolved in the most tragic way possible