Mulgrew: Playing Red
By: T'Bonz on Jul 24

Hallmark 2015 Trek Ornaments
By: T'Bonz on Jul 24

Funko Mini Spock
By: T'Bonz on Jul 23

IDW Publishing Comic Preview
By: T'Bonz on Jul 23

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > Deep Space Nine

Deep Space Nine What We Left Behind, we will always have here.

Old March 2 2014, 08:38 PM   #16
Seven of Five
Commodore

Re: So... What's wrong with "emperor's new cloak?"

Perhaps. I like farce, but the Ferengi episodes went too far in that direction a lot of the time.

I'm on a DS9 rewatch and saw The House of Quark yesterday, and really forgot how funny it was. Quark dizzying Gowron with talk about profit; the sight of Klingons all gripping their PADDs trying to follow Quark talking; Grilka slapping Quark to initiate a divorce.

I think Quark's better episodes were when there were less Ferengi around him.
Old March 2 2014, 08:46 PM   #17
Bad Thoughts
Fleet Captain

Seven of Five wrote: View Post
Perhaps. I like farce, but the Ferengi episodes went too far in that direction a lot of the time.

I'm on a DS9 rewatch and saw The House of Quark yesterday, and really forgot how funny it was. Quark dizzying Gowron with talk about profit; the sight of Klingons all gripping their PADDs trying to follow Quark talking; Grilka slapping Quark to initiate a divorce.

I think Quark's better episodes were when there were less Ferengi around him.
With the exception of Bar Association, I completely agree. Quark was a great character on its own, and sometime, Rom was decent as well.
Bad Thoughts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 2 2014, 09:07 PM   #18
JD5000
Commander

I'm a big fan of the Ferengi-centric-episodes and Armin Shimerman, so I may be a little biased. I think those episodes are meant to be taken exactly as presented - farce. Well- or poorly-done - that's up to the viewer.

As far as "Emperor's New Cloak" goes, I thought the scene where Rom and Quark were attempting to move the "cloaked" cloaking device (what? why?) was hilarious. I bet it was a blast to act that out.
JD5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 6 2014, 09:37 AM   #19
od0_ital
Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to od0_ital

King Daniel Into Darkness wrote: View Post
od0_ital wrote: View Post
It starts off with a faulty premise - the Mirror Universe had already been shown to have cloak technology in the second DS9 episode that crossed over to it.

Therefore, the entire episode is a waste of an hour.
If a continuity error makes an entire episode a waste, you must not like a lot of Trek...
Continuity errors I can live with - they show up all over the franchise.

But errors that lead to gawd awful episodes durin' final seasons, when every episode should count for something, should be called out for bein' gawd awful.

As for the writers not takin' a visual effect into account - they should really watch their own show, or pay someone to watch it for 'em and smack upside the head when they fuck up as badly as 'The Emperor's New Cloak'.
Old March 9 2014, 11:06 PM   #20
JirinPanthosa
Commodore

I'm a big fan of Star Trek comedy episodes. Good comedy episodes, like The Magnificent Ferengi, or In The Cards, Who Mourns For Morn or the B plot of Progress. Emperor's New Cloak was just dumb and hokey.
JirinPanthosa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 10 2014, 07:08 AM   #21
JD5000
Commander

The only problem with this episode is - if a cloaking device cloaks itself, how the **** do you install or repair it? It's portrayed as a very delicate piece of technology that is a mystery to Federation scientists...and INVISIBLE.

I couldn't even imagine putting an invisible 8-track into an invisible 8-track Player, much less installing an incredibly complex device that is literally 'shrouded' in secrecy.

I know, I know....'plot device'. But in a thread with this title, it's worth noting.
JD5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 10 2014, 12:14 PM   #22
Tosk
Rear Admiral

You don't have to cloak it. It may not even be a standard function. Rom may have artfully fiddled with it.
Tosk is offline   Reply With Quote