A Baby For Saldana
By: T'Bonz on Jul 23

Klingon Beer Arrives In The US
By: T'Bonz on Jul 22

Star Trek: Prelude To Axanar

Abrams Announces Star Wars: Force For Change Sweepstakes

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > Enterprise

Enterprise The final frontier has a new beginning in this forum!

View Poll Results: Who was the best Vulcan guest character on Enterprise?
Tos (Thomas Kopache) in "Broken Bow" 0 0%
Captain Vanik (William Utay) in "Breaking the Ice" 2 5.88%
Captain Sopen (Gregory Itzin) in "Shadows of P'Jem" 0 0%
Ambassador V'Lar (Fionnula Flanagan) in "Fallen Hero" 11 32.35%
Mestral (J. Paul Boehmer) in "Carbon Creek" 13 38.24%
Dr. Oratt (Michael Ensign) in "Stigma" 0 0%
Dr. Yuris (Jeffrey Hayenga) in "Stigma" 0 0%
Subcommander Muroc (John Balma) in "Cease Fire" 0 0%
T'Les (Joanna Cassidy) in "Home" and "Awakening" 3 8.82%
Koss (Michael Reilly Burke) in "Home", "The Forge", and "Kir'Shara" 1 2.94%
Syrran (Michael Nouri) in "The Forge" 3 8.82%
V'Las (Robert Foxworth) "The Forge", "Awakening", and "Kir'Shara" 1 2.94%
Kuvak (John Rubinstein) in "Awakening" and "Kir'Shara" 0 0%
Voters: 34. You may not vote on this poll

Old March 6 2014, 04:53 AM   #16
teacake
Admiral

Location: Militant Janeway True Path Devotees Compound. With Sehlats.
Re: Who was the best Vulcan guest character on Enterprise?

^Does that work out calendar wise? Jack Roykirk?

"Damnit Spock. God damnit!" Kirk ST:V
■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
teacake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 6 2014, 05:02 AM   #17
Mr. Laser Beam
Fleet Admiral

View Mr. Laser Beam's Twitter Profile

^ Jack was probably born around 1940, given his apparent age in "Carbon Creek". So assuming he is Jackson Roykirk, he'd have been in his sixties when Nomad was launched. IIRC, this happened in 2002, making him 62 at the time.

Last edited by Mr. Laser Beam; March 6 2014 at 05:21 AM.
Mr. Laser Beam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 6 2014, 05:12 AM   #18
teacake
Admiral

OF course the fanwank of this WILL collapse the universe.

■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
Old March 6 2014, 05:18 AM   #19
Mr. Laser Beam
Fleet Admiral

^ Assuming this hasn't already happened.

srsly though, it's not that much of a fanwank. "The Changeling" has already been referenced in one ENT episode ("Civilization", which features a Malurian - whose species will one day be destroyed by Nomad). And Jack is obviously intelligent and is fascinated with astronomy. It's not much of a stretch to assume he is Jackson Roykirk. We never did learn Jack's last name, after all...
Old March 6 2014, 05:27 AM   #20
teacake
Admiral

Oh believe me it makes me super happy to think he is Roykirk. But it IS total fanwank.. which also makes me happy rather more often than not.

I have high fanwank tolerance, what can I say.

■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
Old March 6 2014, 08:57 AM   #21
lurok
Commodore

I enjoyed all of them. I have a high tolerance for haughty Vulcans .

But I did like Mestral (Boehmer was always a reliable Trek guest star and I think would/should have been a regular in any post-ENT series). And the really supercilious captain in Breaking The Ice.
Old March 7 2014, 12:31 AM   #22
2takesfrakes
Commodore

For me, there's only one: the lovely Kara Zediker as T'Pau.
Old March 7 2014, 01:12 AM   #23
Mach5
Rear Admiral

2takesfrakes wrote: View Post

For me, there's only one: the lovely Kara Zediker as T'Pau.
Never really liked Zediker's T'Pau. Not sophisticated enough. T'Pau should have appeared more... "Regal", regardless of age.
Old March 7 2014, 12:02 PM   #24
2takesfrakes
Commodore

Your disappointment in her seeming lack of regality puzzles and surprises me. I, for one, find her to be very a very classy lady! I love how pixie-like she is and yet ... she has a strength - she's a survivor. Unfortunately, her years in the harsh, desert sun did not do her any favours, as she did not age well, at all, by the time we meet up with her again, in "Amok Time."
Old March 9 2014, 01:45 PM   #25
teacake
Admiral

Yeah 113 years later after we see her in ENT she had not "aged well"

■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
Old March 9 2014, 03:18 PM   #26
t_smitts
Commander

I didn't include T'Pau (or Surak, for that matter) in the poll because they didn't originate on the show. That said, I do think they maintained T'Pau's harsh, forbidding nature, which we'll see again in "Amok Time".

It is interesting that they consciously chose not to replicate Celia Lovsky's Austrian accent (though that decision didn't bother me nearly as much as Carol Marcus having a British accent did). I do wonder wonder how she would've sounded with it thought, whether it would've sounded serious or silly. (For the record, a person can gain or lose an accent over several years. I remember reading something about Arnold Schwarzenegger seeing a dialect coach because, after 30+ years of living in America, he was losing his Austrian accent, and didn't want to, as it was kind of his trademark ).

On a related note, having just rewatched the Vulcan trilogy, I was struck by how overtly emotional many of the Vulcans in it were. The chief offender seems to be Robert Foxworth as V'Las, who seems to hit most of the stereotypical villain notes (the condescending smile when addressing T'Pol or Kuvak, or losing his temper more than once). In retrospect, I think it might've been more interesting and believable if he'd said and done the same things, but in a cold, ruthless manner.

To a lesser extent, Kuvak was rather emotional himself, objecting to V'Las villainy and smiling in gratitude at Archer. Even with Michael Nouri, who was otherwise rather compelling as Syrran, there was a brief chuckle at one point that rubbed me the wrong way a bit, especially since JGRS apparently wrote him to be a Kolinahr master.

Heck, even Surak came off a bit more folksy that I'd expected, when I would've pictured someone a bit more like Sarek. Though, to be fair, it's possible his and Archer's personalities bled into one another in that hallucination. Moreover, there's nothing in canon that says that just because Surak advocated suppressing emotion in favor of logic, that he must've totally mastered the practice himself.
t_smitts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 9 2014, 08:02 PM   #27
2takesfrakes
Commodore

Your assessment that ENTERPRISE made Vulcans too emotional is one which I happen to share. My feeling is that to get some of the good talent that they got to go through the hassle of wearing this nappy wig, of having rubber glued to their ears and all this, they were going to have be cut some slack. As in allowing these people to emote. It goes without saying that actors rely heavily on their facial expressions, body language and emotional range to realize live-action characters, almost all of the time. In a way I can understand, but ... I would rather have bad actors acting all unemotional and stoic as Vulcans, than have big names in the makeup playing as themselves. But that's just me ...
Old March 9 2014, 08:07 PM   #28
2takesfrakes
Commodore

teacake wrote: View Post
Yeah 113 years later after we see her in ENT she had not "aged well"
Too much sun is bad for women's beautiful skin. Whether they are 29, like ENT T'Pau ... or 137, like TOS T'Pau. Tanning beds, too ... they only make otherwise hot women end up looking like leathery saddle bags with eyes. And that Vulcan sun's a monster ...
Old March 10 2014, 12:17 AM   #29
t_smitts
Commander

2takesfrakes wrote: View Post
Your assessment that ENTERPRISE made Vulcans too emotional is one which I happen to share. My feeling is that to get some of the good talent that they got to go through the hassle of wearing this nappy wig, of having rubber glued to their ears and all this, they were going to have be cut some slack. As in allowing these people to emote. It goes without saying that actors rely heavily on their facial expressions, body language and emotional range to realize live-action characters, almost all of the time. In a way I can understand, but ... I would rather have bad actors acting all unemotional and stoic as Vulcans, than have big names in the makeup playing as themselves. But that's just me ...
I don't want to imply that all Vulcans on the show were excessively emotional. Gary Graham, Thomas Kopache, Gregory Itzin, and Kara Zediker were all good at playing traditional Vulcans. Jolene Blalock was good at it too, for the most part, though they were clearly interested in making her more emotional for much of the series.

It's interesting that you bring up the shows guest actors being subjected to heavy make-up, since most of them had played such roles on previous Trek series.
t_smitts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 10 2014, 12:35 AM   #30
Mr. Laser Beam
Fleet Admiral

t_smitts wrote: View Post

It is interesting that they consciously chose not to replicate Celia Lovsky's Austrian accent (though that decision didn't bother me nearly as much as Carol Marcus having a British accent did). I do wonder wonder how she would've sounded with it thought, whether it would've sounded serious or silly.
I just assumed that in ENT, young T'Pau was speaking Vulcan, but rendered into English with the universal translator. Old T'Pau in TOS was probably trying to speak English natively, and thus the accent.